2015 Incomer - WR Ryan Newsome

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, May 30, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

He may not be on Texas’ roster yet or enrolled at the University, but it’s where Ryan Newsome feels he’s always belonged.

“It’s the desire,” Newsome said of his excitement regarding Texas. “I’ve always known Texas to be a great school. Even when you get recruited, you were like, ‘man, I hope Texas offers me.’ It was the perennial powerhouse. For me to be here now is a dream come true.”

Actually, when Newsome decided to commit to Texas – a moment that came on a 1:30 a.m. phone call to Texas head coach Charlie Strong – he told Strong that he wanted to be part of the restoration of the Longhorn brand. Part of that goal is to bring a desire for greatness back to Texas’ program, something Strong mentioned his team needed on a number of occasions last season.

“I feel that passion that I have, not everybody has,” Newsome said. “Guys like Quandre Diggs had it, the leaders had it, but not everybody had it. And that’s a problem I had. I felt it was my job to bring that swagger and passion back.”

Outside of sending nearly daily blasts of pro-Texas tweets, Newsome is also the first to defend his school when someone criticizes it. This includes a moment when he called out ESPN reporter Brett McMurphy for taking a dig at Texas’ quarterback situation during a Longhorn basketball game.

The response of “great stache bro” wasn’t necessary elegant, though it did draw plenty of chuckles including from McMurphy himself, but Newsome made his point. He’s going to be there to defend the Longhorns on and off the field.

“It’s the school I’m going to graduate from, it’s the school where there are a lot of great people and I’m passionate about that,” Newsome said. “If Texas is going to be my alma mater, I’m going to stick up for it.”

[Full article here]

Ryan Newsome checks in from Aledo (Texas) He brings instant speed to the Texas offense and return game. He has been very focused as he enters the next chapter in his life.

”I am looking forward to meeting new people and developing new relationships,” Newsome said. “My main focus has been currently finishing strong in the classroom as well as conditioning myself as best I can to be in good shape. My relationship with Texas coaches are great, couldn’t be more excited to not only play for great coaches but exceptional people. The fans can expect for me to give everything I have while I am there. I am very honored to be a part of such a prestigious university such as Texas. We are on our way back to the top, please believe it.”

2014: Newsome caught 54 passes for 1,073 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 470 yards and seven touchdowns on 8.2 yards per carry for an Aledo team that won its fifth state championship in six years with a Class 5A Division I title. Newsome also returned two punts for touchdowns.

Newsome is one of the premiere speed prospects in all of the country. He is also one of the top-rated slot wide receivers and deservedly so. He brings exactly what you want in this style of player. He can line up all over the field and gash defense with big plays and can score any time he gets his hands on the ball. A dangerous return man, which is an understatement, because he is the No. 1 guy in Texas High School Football in punt return TDs.

[Full article here]

• Like Like x 1