4-horn WR Collin Johnson

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 2003TexasGrad, Feb 9, 2015.

1. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Awesome news that he will be an early enrollee [​IMG]

3. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

We are picking up a lot of tall guys. Burt, Gilbert, Collin and Devonaire will make it easy for the QB to just throw it up there and wait for them to come down with it. No need to throw perfect passes. Then you let a Newsome loose from the slot to take it to the house. Me likey!

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

That's a football player.

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

YEAH BABY!!! [​IMG]

6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

7. Arbfarkle

Arbfarkle 250+ Posts

Wonder if he could catch a football if he were running down the field all alone?

That was some pretty tight coverage, including being tackled while in the air on one of those plays.

8. Bevo1970

Bevo1970 100+ Posts

This post was made just before going to the new 2015 platform. Post as normal after it if you wish.

l00p
    (25,000+ posts)
    02/09/15 11:01 PM
    Re: Collin Johnson

I wondered the same things! He dove more than once, had to stop or come back to passes, was double covered most of the time and flat out beat opponents the others. I also like that he holds on to the ball well when getting tackled without making foolish grandstand plays and he has a mean stiff arm as well.

jayakris
    (Hornfans Recruiting Guru)
    02/09/15 11:11 PM

Loved the play when he gets to the end zone, dumps the ball straight to a ref and runs away. No spiking the ball and dancing and all that. Can't wait to see the two Johnson kids on the field, making daddy proud.

2003TexasGrad
    (1000+ posts)
    02/10/15 02:11 AM

If only Malcolm Williams had his hands. If only.

Brad Austin
    (500+ posts)
    02/10/15 06:36 AM

And why is this guy not a 5-star??? What's the knock? Of course his size is ideal, but the kid also runs clean routes, has impressive body control fir a big man when adjusting to the ball and defender, and shows great hands. Usually at least one of those 3 aspects is lagging with HS receivers. Even if something else was a tad off, having great size and those 3 specific traits together should propel him to 5-star. Rate him where you want, this is a massive get. 5-star caliber all the way. [​IMG]

Dionysus[​IMG]
    (5000+ posts)
    02/10/15 07:49 AM
    [​IMG]

My analysis currently has him at 6.3 stars.

bck031
    (1000+ posts)
    02/10/15 06:35 PM

We should look at that QB too.

Godz40acres
    (100+ posts)
    02/11/15 06:54 AM

[​IMG]

Dionysus[​IMG]
    (5000+ posts)
    02/11/15 11:55 AM
    [​IMG]

Nice work.

ViperHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/11/15 02:05 PM

Dion, how are you going to get Godz' art work to transfer to the new site - it should be saved somewhere.

VYFan
    (2500+ posts)
    02/11/15 03:10 PM
    [​IMG]

Obviously, I expected the highlights to be good, since no one's going to show dropped passes on a highlight video. Still, that was surprisingly impressive. No doubt he can catch, high, low, outstretched, on the sideline, in stride--whatever. Smooth looking after the catch, too, and as already stated, these highlights appeared to be against decent coverage.

[​IMG]

Dionysus[​IMG]
    (5000+ posts)
    02/11/15 03:45 PM
    [​IMG]

In reply to:
    Dion, how are you going to get Godz' art work to transfer to the new site - it should be saved somewhere.

ViperHorn, this particular image of his will not be transferred over to the new site since it was posted after the Feb 9 cutoff date, but he can repost it on this thread or another one after the new site comes up.

Images posted in pre-cutoff threads will remain with those threads on the new site.
    ViperHorn
    (2500+ posts)
    02/11/15 04:32 PM

I knew that. Hopefully he will read this and repost after the move.

Godz40acres
    (100+ posts)
    02/12/15 07:49 AM

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. Certainly I'll throw it up again at the new site. Looking forward to it coming online - thanks for all the hard work from everyone involved.

arieshorn
    (1000+ posts)
    02/14/15 09:36 AM
    [​IMG][/IMG]

He is rated as the #9 WR in the country. I didn't realize his measurables at 6'5 200 lb and large catch radius. The dude is going to be a beast in the redzone. Our future QB is gonna love this guy.

[​IMG]

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I see my Johnson graphic made it over here afterall. Thanks for doing that.

[​IMG]

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@BevoBeef did that - he did a lot of work on bringing over the threads and posts that were made this past week after we pulled the database.

11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per Horns Digest:

About Longhorn commit WR Collin Johnson:
    One of the top wide receiver prospects in the class of 2016;
    Has great hands and body control;
    Has tremendous size creating matchup nightmares for opposing defensive backs;
    Is a very smooth wide out with tremendous upside;
    Has the ability to come in and make an early impact with Strong and crew.

Conclusion:
    Is a huge commitment for the Texas coaching staff.
    [Full (short) article here]

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Dang, he looks like he's grown another inch and put on 20 pounds. This kid's going to be undefendable!

Baby Megatron

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Looking so forward to this monster's arrival.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Can we give him 6*?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What is official?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Johnson signed his financial aid agreement with UT

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Got it. He arrives in January.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

More ballers please.

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Can wait to see Mr Johnson tearing it up here. :hookem:

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per a poster on another site:

Our favorite California dreamer officially became a Longhorn this week. The San Jose native signed a financial aid packet which binds the school to the player, but not the player to the school. Weird, I know. He'll be arriving in January coming off major shoulder surgery. Spring ball will be the perfect rehab to be ready for 2016.

"I won't be able to practice (if Texas makes a bowl) with my shoulder rehab," said Johnson. "I just need to get 100% with my shoulder for Spring ball."

Johnson knows the odds. He wants to play as a freshman and knows the depth chart. He realizes Marcus and Daje will be gone. He knows he'll have to battle for snaps. He'd like to be the perfect compliment to John Burt as a fellow field-stretcher. And he doesn't want to sit.

"No way I'm redshirting," Johnson explained. "I'm going to do everything I can to play right away and the coaches have said I got a good chance. I'm just going to be working everyday to make that happen."

But more importantly, what's the first thing he's going to do when he arrives to Austin?

"I'll make sure my room is set up the way I like it. So I can feel at home."

You'll already be home, Collin.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

CJ wants to follow in his dad's footsteps...

And he likes to block!

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I will be there in spirit, CJ. I'll be the one holding the bouquet of burnt-orange roses and case of Dr. Pepper.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

UT wide receiver commitment Collin Johnson will enroll at Texas in January. He was in town last weekend for his one and only official visit, and the playmaking pass catcher said it went well.

"It was really good. It was amazing," Johnson said. "Every time I come to Austin, I feel like it gets better. The trip overall was great, bonding with future teammates, things like that. We all had an awesome time. It really hit me, Shane (Buechele) and DeMarco (Boyd) how soon we're coming. The next time we come there, it will be official."

On Friday, the first day of the official visit, the news of Texas' pursuit of new-OC Sterlin Gilbert dominated the headlines. The players got to meet Gilbert and OL coach Matt Mattox on Saturday, and Gilbert made a strong first impression. Understandably, Johnson is excited about the prospect of playing in Gilbert's high-flying offense.

"Talking to him was great, he's really excited about the future, getting around the players," Johnson said. "I'm really excited. I cannot wait to get started with him. He's a great coach, going to give me some great opportunities to make plays. That's all I can ask for. I'm going to work really hard, try to make an early impact, work my butt off and take advantage of everything that's in front of me."

"It was cool just bonding with my future teammates, getting closer and closer, building that brotherhood before we get there on campus," Johnson said. "It's just cool overall. Shane and I are both excited about what the future holds. But we're going to go in there expecting nothing to be given to us. We'll have to work and take advantage of the chances given to us."

Johnson missed most of his senior season with a shoulder injury but he said he's all the way back from his surgery and will be ready to go once he gets to campus. He had just finished lifting weights when I talked to him this week, and he's currently focuses on building his strength back up.

------------

Of note, Johnson's brother, freshman RB Kirk Johnson, is also expected to be ready to go for spring ball after suffering a leg injury late in the 2015 season.

In talking to one person inside the UT football program this week, there are expectations that Johnson should be a big part of the offense next year due to his versatility and unique skill set.

[Per a poster on another site]

------------

I can't wait to taste the UT '16 O dish that Chef Gilbert will be serving: three parts Boyd, Johnson, and Warren; add a cup of Burt, Newsome, and Baby Megatron; season it with Perk, Vahe, and Williams; then douse it with spicy Bluiett sauce. UMMM-UM!!

Let's see, there's one ingredient missing... No worries - Chef G will figure it out.

• Like Like x 3
  30. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Impressive video on Collin.

At the end, you can see a video of Buechele. Also very impressive. Looking forward to getting both these guys to the 40 Acres. :hookem2::bevo::hookem2:

• Like Like x 1