Coog Fans, New Stadiums, Navy Football, and Major

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NB_LONGHORN, Nov 27, 2015.

1. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

I took my son, mom, and dad to the game in Houston today. A couple of observations:

1. TDECU Stadium is a well thought out venue that makes the game experience accessible and comfortable. Extra thought was given to to add space between rows and to take advantage of prevailing breezes to cool things down.
    2. If you have not seen a service academy team play, it is well worth it. Navy had a rough day, but it is always good to see them play.
    3. Cougar fans are still obnoxious.
    4. Applewhite is still a creative play caller.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I wonder if any thought has been given to bringing Major back, or if he is even considered among the top OC talents. I don't really know but the guy is a Longhorn at heart.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Interesting the year's that the last 3 Texas OC's are having.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Is this stadium exactly where Jeppesen was??

5. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

I was told it was reoriented but it is on the same site as old Robertson.

6. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

One other thing to point out are the offensive and defensive adjustments that UH made at halftime. Navy runs the triple option to perfection and UH played the first half attacking the pitch, qb, and dive with a rover linebacker. This had limited results, and let Navy gain some yards and score some points. In the second half they played 3 down linemen and walked their linebackers 7 yards off the ball lined up beside each other. they would take a 1 count to see the play develop and then attack gaps and angles with their speed. this was very effective and pushed Navy to throw the ball. Keep in mind that this was Navy(who I love) and that it would be very hard to play this scheme versus a large D-1 program, but it was a good example of adjusting at halftime to take advantage of your strengths in this instance.

also, let this sink in: If UH wins the conference championship next week, they will most likely play in the Fiesta Bowl.

one more thing: Tom Hermann also said Navy QB Keenan Reynolds win the Heismann based on his importance to his team and his performance on the field. I could not agree more. I saw this kid come off the bench as a freshman against Air Force to rally Navy from 2 TD behind to win in OT. He has started ever since. He will graduate this year and is going to be a Navy helicopter pilot. He would be a great choice for the award.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

+1

Texas now has to fight for offensive talent not only with the remainder of the Big XII, but also Houston (or wherever Hermann/Applewhite end up). Major is more than just another OC; his recruiting skills among Texas recruits are very good.