DE Malcolm Roach (Nov 6)(NOV 6 COMMIT)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Malcolm Roach ..... Madison Prep Academy (Baton Rouge, LA)
    :hookem::hookem::hookem:-horn ..... SDE, TE ..... 6-3/255 ..... TEXAS

Per Scout:
    Roach makes plays all over the football field. He plays both sides of the ball and he had many sacks and scored many touchdowns during his career. He does not play the best competition, but he does what he is supposed to do much of the time — dominate.

He has a good frame with broad shoulders although he is a little on the shorter side and he is a versatile defender who can be a stand-up linebacker or play with his hand in the dirt at end on the next level. You see constant effort, his motor is a real strength, and he loves contact.

When watching Roach, you see intensity, you see violence on the field, and you see a lot of raw athleticism. He has shined at tight end, defensive end, and linebacker in high school. I do not see him as someone Texas will want to drop into coverage a lot, but he is an in the box player who could be moved around to make plays.

On defense, you see a punisher when he hits. He can improve his tackling technique and he still has some work to do to reach his potential as a defender, but he chases the ball, he shows a burst when he turns the corner, and he is a player that will make others around him better. He has a lot of positive energy and he plays hard for four quarters.

Per BON:
    After rumors of a pending commitment for the Texas Longhorns over the last several days, Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep defensive end Malcolm Roach pledged to the Horns in a ceremony at his high school on Friday morning.

The Louisiana ties of defensive line coach Brick Haley, who has been recruiting Roach for some time, helped land the pledge. Roach wasn't on the official offer list for the Horns, making his commitment rather unexpected. Tennessee had been the favorite to land his services.

Now the second defensive lineman to pledge to Texas in the 2016 class, joining fellow Louisiana product Gerald Wilbon, Roach is the first defensive line commit with an offer from an SEC West program, breaking an 0-for-9 streak to begin the cycle.

Jr Season

Sr Season

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per a poster on another site:
    Roach made his decision at a ceremony at his high school.

"For the next three years of my life, I will be furthering my education and playing football at the University of Texas," Roach said as the crowd roared.

So why did he side with Longhorns?

“I grew up liking Texas a lot,” Roach said. “It was one of my favorite schools. I loved watching Jamaal Charles, Vince Young and Brian Orakpo. They just have a lot of tradition. I like Texas a lot, and I think it would be a really good fit for me.

“I also really like Coach (Charlie) Strong. I like what he’s doing with the program and how he disciplines his players. He also develops his players like he did with Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville.”

Texas defensive line coach Brick Haley was responsible for recruiting Roach.

“I’ve known Coach Haley since he was at LSU,” Roach said. “We have a really good relationship, and I think he’s a great coach. I love the way he coaches his players.”

The 6-foot-3, 255-pounder was originally recruited to play “Fox” end but will likely stick at strong-side defensive end after adding 30 pounds since spring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and welcome.

6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per Horns247:
    Shows good burst and explosion from a stand up defensive end. Plays hard most of the time, but will take a play off when he is winded. Good short area quickness and outstanding closing speed in pursuit. Love watching this kid. He is special!

Disruptive first-step quickness — immediately re-creates the line of scrimmage and plays in the backfield. Good instincts, locates the ball quickly and closes to the ball carrier in a flash. Very good body control, bend and balance. Very explosive with good bend and athleticism. Excellent pursuit, tracks down ball carriers from behind. Strikes with authority...

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per HornSports:
    Film Analysis:
    Roach is a big, solid kid at 6’4 255 lbs. He plays linebacker for his high school team and also doubles at tight end which shows coordination and athletic ability. He has a decent first step off the line but shows some real closing speed when he locks on to his target. Roach is strong at the point of attack and sheds blockers well playing the run both inside and outside. In coverage he looks stiff, but is still able to make some plays on his highlight film. He will need to do some work on his tackling because many times he just throws a shoulder into the ball carrier and should get more consistent wrapping up and driving through. When he does find the ball carrier he usually has bad intentions and hits with a pretty incredible force. The most impressive thing about Roach other than size and athleticism is the motor that comes with it. He constantly pursues the ball and makes opposing blockers work each time he’s on the field. He’s sturdy enough to play on the strong side, but athletic enough to feature on the weak side and should grow with the benefit of a college strength and conditioning program.

Final Verdict:
    Roach is an incredibly raw prospect, but he has great size and athleticism which should only help him get better with proper coaching. If he can apply that coaching and realize his potential then he becomes a very valuable prospect for NFL teams.

8. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to the 40 Malcolm! :hookem::yippee::bevo:

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Andrew King - TFB
    One note on Roach is that he was offered by Texas on Monday, he told me he knew shortly after Texas was where he wanted to go.

10. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Congrats and Hook 'em!! We need your help ASAP!!

11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

:hookem::bevo::texasflag: Welcome

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Roach had a record-setting performance during the playoffs last weekend racking up 27 tackles while his Madison Prep (11-0-1) beat Archbishop Hannan (7-4), 59-10.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

In a battle of missed extra points, three-star defensive end, Malcolm Roach, and Madison Prep (11-1-1), the No. 4 seed in the Louisiana Division III playoff format, fell to fifth-seeded St. Charles Catholic (10-2), 13-12. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound tackling machine blocked the second extra point attempt by St. Charles, while also adding a cluster of tackles. Unfortunately, Madison Prep’s own kicker erred on both of his extra point tries, costing the Chargers a shot at advancing to the state semi-finals.

[Full Horns247 article]

14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per BON:
    Roach was named a Class 2A all-state first team linebacker by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association. In the LSWA's press release he was credited with 128 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 2 interceptions, and 5 forced fumbles for the season.

Senior Season

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. StructureDude

StructureDude 100+ Posts

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Eboh was gone when Stanford offered, said it was his dream school.

Roach's father is going on this South Carolina visit and he is pro Texas, think Roach is still coming here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Roach is on his SCe OV this weekend.

Per another poster:
    "The coaching staff is making a late push on me. I just feel like I'll go enjoy a visit. During the whole recruiting process, I only took one visit to Texas. I feel like I haven't really enjoyed the process like I should have."

Will Muschamp and Travaris Robinson are recruiting Roach for South Carolina. Those coaches did a visit on Monday night, and Texas went by on Tuesday. Roach said the Texas coaches told him they were okay with the visit once he explained why he was wanting to take it.

What would South Carolina have to do to get him to consider a flip?

"They'd have to show me a lot of stuff. I'd have to feel at home. It would have to be better than Texas and that's going to be hard," Roach said.

Towards the end of our conversation, Roach said he is "still planning on signing with Texas." I expect that will happen, but we'll keep an eye on this one just in case.