DT Gerald Wilbon (May 28)(Jun 17 COMMIT)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, May 29, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Gerald Wilbon ..... Destrehan (Destrehan, LA)
    :hookem::hookem::hookem:-horn ..... DT ..... 6-3/311​

Per HD:
    Wilbon, who stands 6-foot-3 and 311 pounds, is rated as the No. 47 offensive guard in the country and No. 2 OG in Louisiana. (Now a 3-star instead of 0-star - 06-17-15)

In addition to Texas, he holds offers from Arizona State, Kent State, Texas Tech, Tula, Central Florida and Western Kentucky, among others.

Sources tell HD that the offer would allow for him to play either side of the ball.

Jr Year

Sr Year

Pretty quick off the ball from these highlights.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Sheds the blockers even when double teamed. Gets good penetration. Good vision finding the ball and is very quick for his size. Good balance and he can block for a ball carrier. :hookem2:

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

“The fact that it’s a major program is very appealing to me. I also love the tradition and the history of the school.”

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations and welcome.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Charlie can't recruit and will be losing ground as NSD approaches. /sarc

• Like Like x 1
  6. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Gerald! :hookem2:

7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

My gosh give CS a chance to have a winning season first. He inherited a program with very little talent. He started from Ground 0!!
    As soon as UT has shows what they can do he will dominate recruiting in Texas as he should do!

8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Most sane people aren't saying Charlie can't recruit in general. The going concern is that he can't recruit Texas well. Wilbon does nothing to disprove that notion since he's from LA. We trumped milder programs like Arizona, Arizona St., and Tech to get him instead of the higher profile teams eating our lunch now. I wouldn't go boasting how great CS recruits everytime someone accepts an offer. It's not like we didn't offer a ton of DT's.

That being said...

Personally, I like the Wilbon signing. After a year in the program and much better conditioned, this guy could be a force in the middle. But until that aspect is greatly elevated, he'd struggle with the rapid, pass heavy offenses we face. He'd be on a pitch count for sure until then.

If we weren't hurting with DT numbers so bad, I could easily see his skill-set as a better fit on the OL. Either way, by year two I expect this big man to be turning some heads. Year 1 will be all about conditioning and technique refinement, as he's very raw but looks talented.

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per IT:
    Coach says: The big fella from Da Boot already plays a ton of snaps over the center and I think that is what he is destined for at the college level. He is a big man who can be utilized to eat up space on the interior defensive line and actually moves decently for his size. Guys his size naturally struggle with pad level so that will be something to work on going forward, as well as his consistency with using his hands rather than brute strength to run over offensive lineman. If not along the d-line, he’s a college guard on offensive.

How he fits at Texas: Wilbon is a classic nose guard who can clog up a double team or else attack half-a-man if left undoubled and walk him back into the backfield while occupying an interior gap. He’s particularly explosive off the ball or moving laterally but excels at projecting steady and irresistible power. For that reason, his highest upside might be as a mauling guard where he’d be a higher rated athlete and his strength would be valuable in blowing open gaps on inside zone or power schemes. – Ian Boyd

• Like Like x 2
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Welcome to the 40 Acres, Gerald! :hookem::bevo::texasflag:

11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Wilbon points out that he's a nose tackle for his high school, which is exactly what the Longhorns originally recruited him to play. But... his over-powering frame and size could make him an ideal fit for Joe Wickline and UT's offensive line.

[O]nce he gets his arms into your chest you are going backwards, no doubt about it.

The Texas commitment confirmed with HornsDigest recently that he was still being recruited to play on the defensive line for the Longhorns, but he is also open to the idea of playing on the offensive line if that's what it takes to get on the field.

"If that doesn't work then they will move me to the offensive line," said Wilbon, who is actually ranked as the No. 50 offensive guard in the country on Scout.com.

Wilbon is excited to get down to Austin to get coached up by Texas defensive line coach Brick Haley, who recruited him some while on the coaching staff at LSU.
    [Full HD article w/video]
    ------------
    Whether it's Wick or Brick, this guy's potential is going to be met quickly. I can't wait to see him on the field in '17.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Great attitude!! I like this guy. He should fit right in.

13. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

Looking at the depth chart OL is a bigger need than DT. So he will be a need at some position.

14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

2 highlights from Wilbon's game last week:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

With the sack

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Senior film