Five Overlooked Spring Position Battles

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Per 247Sports:

1. Punter
    Nick Rose could very well wind up getting the first crack at it and his candidacy is only based on the fact that he's got the strongest leg on the squad. Mitchell Becker is a walk-on the previous staff was said to like as a potential punting candidate and he's the only actual punter listed on the roster. The options are clearly limited and there don't appear to be any convincing ones among what's available.

2. Offensive Tackle
    Texas brought in two junior college prospects in Brandon Hodges and Tristan Nickelson, both of whom are expected to provide instant depth. The reviews on Connor Williams have been outstanding and he might have the best chance to landing a starting spot among the newcomers. Even though [Marcus] Hutchins is experienced, the best players will play based on what this staff showed at Louisville.

3. No. 3 Defensive Tackle
    Desmond Jackson and Hassan Ridgeway have starting experience and should be the two starting tackles on Sept. 5 against Notre Dame. Poona Ford and Paul Boyette played well at times last season... [T]he Longhorns have Alex Norman coming back from a back injury and Chris Nelson coming off of shoulder surgery. That's four players vying for reps and the Longhorns need to have at least two emerge from this group who can minimize the drop-off when Jackson and Ridgeway have to take a breather in games.

4. Nickel Cornerback
    Do the Longhorns have anyone on campus who can fill this role? The top two candidates might be Duke Thomas and Jason Hall as those two can bring some of the same things to the table. Both have shown they can blitz effectively off the edge, both have man cover skills and both have the ability to make a play on the ball.

5. Backup Center
    The coaches like what Taylor Doyle gave them last season and it seems as though he'll be the man there again this season, but... will it be Jake Raulerson or Terrell Cuney to be there in a pinch? Raulerson has added weight coming into spring ball, but he could very well be in the mix to start at tackle (he started at right tackle in the bowl game), while Cuney has also apparently added some mass during his redshirt year.
    [Full article here]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Trubster

Trubster < 25 Posts

6. Quarterback
    Swoops
    or . . .

I actually would not be surprised if Swoops performed much better next year with the proposed changed in the style of offense. He had some good moments last year when in hurry-up mode.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I thought I read Dominic Espinosa was coming back?

4. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

5. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

QB any one!?

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

7. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

This post said 5 overlooked position battles. QB had not been overlooked by anyone. ....

8. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Well then, I guess it should have said six. It was overlooked all of last year.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't think it was over looked by anyone - there just wasn't any options once Ash went down.