OK Cal Fans -- I'm Removing the Voter Bias!

Discussion in 'Classics' started by SynTex, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Squirrel

Squirrel 100+ Posts

^
    |
    |
    Very Nicely Done, '03NC.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

Jerome Solomon needs a copy of THE post. He is still jabbering about the voting conspiracy in this mornings Houston Chronicle.

3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

As you requested, I just sent Jerome a copy. [​IMG]

4. rhorn27

rhorn27 250+ Posts

Send it to the LA Times writer who had an editorial in the Statesman today. Although overall a pretty fair article slamming the BCS, he still hints at a "whiff of fraud" and thinks the votes were the deciding factor in the outcome.

5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

rhorn27--what's stopping you from sending it to him?[​IMG]

6. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Cal dude
    Your main point is that the net human polls changed after the last Nov calculation, and not the computers, so the voters were the determinative factor.

In this context your observation is correct, but the frame of your hypothesis is incomplete. After November 29, Texas had no games left, Cal had one. We know the story of that outcome.

It would be informative to address, as Syntex did, the vote and computer situation for the teams just before A&M. Ignoring the impact of vote changes over each of our last games, but including the computer changes, Cal is nudged out.

As valid, and more reasonable an explanation, is that the voters made a comparison of the teams' relative performance in their last two games, and made an ajustument. But the adjustment didn't matter, in light of the computer outcome.

If you were happy at Thanksgiving with the vote, you can't complain about the impact of the voting changes. The Thanksgiving vote would have led to the same outcome.

No Cal person was complaining then.

7. Cwaghorns

Cwaghorns 25+ Posts

I sent it to Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio.

8. BEHorn

BEHorn 25+ Posts

I just e-mailed the bcstruth.com site, featuring SynTex's gem, to Chris Dufresne -- who is the Los Angeles Times' college football writer.

9. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

I laughed when he said that an unbiased voter should have voted for Cal, when the only truly unbiased part of the BCS equation, the computers, went clearly for Texas.

10. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

11. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

Thank you for your thoughts, Redruin. Permit a brief--or not so brief--retort:

12. rhorn27

rhorn27 250+ Posts

stan,

I am very lazy. that is my only defense. I have also pasted or emailed THE POST no more than 10 times and I am tired of doing it.[​IMG]

13. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

Site looks great, good job.

14. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

rhorn27--me, too--also I'm getting a bit gun shy--posted it on texags and got flamed.[​IMG]

15. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

LL
    Thanks for making the point so much more comprehensively and correctly than I.

16. I Hear Voices

I Hear Voices < 25 Posts

As long as there is a BCS, there needs to be some computer element.

Computers have better memories than writers or coaches. Also, they don't get pissed after games. You can't brown nose them (no pun intended) and they aren't lazy or prejudiced by their geographical domicile.

They are a unique leveling factor and they belong in the mix.

17. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

18. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

Great post -

I just sent it to:
    Norm Hitzges
    Craig Miller
    Greg Williams
    Bob Sturm
    A friend who is an AP sportswriter
    A friend who works in Silicon Valley and has ALOT of Cal grads working for him.

19. UT Fanatic

UT Fanatic 25+ Posts

I also e-mailed Chris Dufresne a link to The Post.

He responded, referring to the "disturbing" poll shifts after NOVEMBER 20TH, when Texas was idle.

In other words, he didn't like my response to his claim that Texas "edged out" Cal simply due to the most recent poll shifts, so he changed his point of reference.

Pretty weak comeback...

Thank you SynTex for an OUTSTANDING POST!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Chris should be smart enough to realize that Michigan lost the week that Cal won big and Texas was off, and that many voters also liked Michigan better than Texas.

21. TD Texas!

TD Texas! < 25 Posts

syntex - what can I say thats not been said? whose wife wanted babies with you? - LMFAO[​IMG][​IMG]

22. pflugervillehorn

pflugervillehorn 25+ Posts

Great work!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

24. wathombe

wathombe < 25 Posts

Just in case any of you missed the anti-Texas column in today's San Diego Union-Tribune, here's the link:

The Link

25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I love hearing California fans say that "If we had played Southern Miss when the game was scheduled, we'd be in the Rose Bowl." Which is 100% false since that would not have changed the computers' data at all, and although it would have helped them in the AP/Coaches polls, it wouldn't have changed the mind of EVERY SINGLE VOTER.

I also love how they say "They shouldn't drop us because of a close road win." And then they talk about Kansas and claim that Texas isn't as good because of our close road win.

26. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I just read the BCS Guru's post to my Dad. He was under the impression that Cal "just got left out" of the BCS. He didn't realize that the 6 BCS conference champs got in automatically. He thought the Rose Bowl snubbed the Bears when they took Michigan and didn't realize that Cal's #4 ranking in the human polls didn't mean squat. He's a big sports fan. He watches a lot of college football. But he had not kept up with how the BCS works. When I told him that a 6-5 Syracuse team nearly made the BCS, he was flabbergasted.

I think this is what we're fighting... General fan misunderstandings.

27. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

28. Sweet Horn

Sweet Horn < 25 Posts

AWESOME JOB!! This thread rocks!
    Man SynTex you can do some math!!

Go Horns! Get jiggy at the Rose Bowl!! [​IMG]

29. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Okay, I think that it's time we:
    1. Got past this: and
    2. This thread is too long.

30. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

bcstruth.com linky no worky? What gives?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]