OL Zach Shackelford (Nov 7)(Jan 17 COMMIT)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Zach Shackelford ..... Belton (Belton, TX)
    :hookem::hookem::hookem:-horn ..... OG ..... 6-3/290 ..... K-State TEXAS

Shackelford has favored the 'Horns for some time and was especially impressed after his attendance at Texas Junior Day this past spring. The staff reciprocated and has kept in touch since then. He seems to get a kick out of throwing a DLman down then jumping on him. :)

Per Scout:
    Shackelford plays outside as a left tackle for his high school team, but likely projects best at the P5 level to a guard position. Plays with overt aggression. Tenacious player who plays through the whistle. Vigorously finishes blocks, especially in run game. Because of playing experience, possibly position-versatile as OG or OT. Sometimes bends at waist. Will be even better with improved foot quickness and pad level consistency.

Strengths: aggressiveness, drive blocking skills, nasty streak, and tenacity.
    Areas to Improve: feet.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The Butcher of Belton! Mr Shackelford looks like a gamer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

OL Zach Shackelford, who is committed to Kansas State was offered by Texas on November 7th when he visited for the Kansas game. Shackelford plans to make his second visit to Texas on Thursday when Texas Tech comes to town. That will make his second visit in the past three weeks.

Shackelford is a guy some thought might flip from Kansas State right away once Texas, a school he really wanted an offer from early in the process, finally extended an offer. That wasn’t the case as he wanted to build a relationship with the Texas coaching staff. He told me recently that he has been in constant contact with the Texas staff since he was offered. He says Coach Brain Jean-Mary has been the coach he has talked to the most. Shackledford also tell me he’s been in contact with Coach Strong and Coach Norvell. He said they talked to him about, “how they want me to be apart of the Longhorn family and that they love the way I play.”

Shackelford hasn’t set up his Texas official visit just yet but I’m not sure how much it matters given the frequency of his trips to Austin now. For those who don’t know, Shackelford will be an early enrollee so obviously that’s another thing that staff likes about Zach.

[Full TFB article]

4. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Kid looks like a go getter. A little worried about foot quickness if he is to play tackle at the next level. He will pile drive you if he gets hold of you. I like that. Plus he goes and finds somebody if he isn't locked up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    As I said after Kansas State OL commit Zach Shackelford was offered by Texas in November, it wasn’t going to be as easy to flip him as some thought. That is still the case today. Shackelford is torn between staying loyal to the Wildcats and playing in the Little Apple, or flipping to Texas and being able to play closer to his friends and family. Shackelford has been doing lots of research and comparing both schools academically, depth chart wise, and just about every other factor.

When I recently caught up with Shackelford he told me both schools were even and that he’s just playing out the scenarios of him going to either school. I asked him if there was anything that could put either school on top for him he just said “which ever school I have a better gut feeling about”.

The move from Joe Wickline to Matt Mattox helps Texas with Shackelford as he didn’t have a relationship with Wickline and was already recruited by Mattox when he was at Tulsa. Mattox also came to see Shackelford just before the dead period began. Shackelford will have a chance to visit Texas on January 16th even though he is an early enrollee because 2nd semester classes at both Texas and Kansas State don’t begin until January 19th. If Shackelford takes that visit and things go well, he could be in Austin to stay.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We do need a center

• Like Like x 1
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Shackelford starting following Vahe, Williams, Imade, Aucoin, Wilbon and Lil Jordan Humphrey.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    Texas will have one last chance to flip Kansas State commit Zach Shackelford before he enrolls at a school. Shackelford announced in a tweet he will visit Texas next weekend.

I have said before that if Shackelford takes this trip, Texas has a great shot to flip him. Shackelford can make an early impact at center for Texas. Both Kansas State and Texas start the 2nd semester on January 19th so he will have to make a final decision shortly after the visit.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

According to Chip Brown (this morning on the air), Wickline called Shackleford a fat-*** at the camp this summer....

• Like Like x 3
  10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Seems thicker, less agile, holds and slings.

11. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

He's somewhat sloppy and raw in technique no doubt. Nothing unusual for big, powerful kids at the HS level. Many dominate just fine without proper form and footwork. If it's not broken (meaning it works as is) they usually don't try to fix it in HS.

His upper body strength is impressive and while his feet are slow setting off snap, he's actually agile locating and blocking in space for his size. He also effectively utilizes the cut block often when knowing that's all the particular block requires to succeed.

Coaching can't teach a nasty streak and desire to relentlessly hammer defenders. This kid has that in droves. Linemen foaming at the mouth to maul defenders until the whistle are a rare find. Zack Martin of ND/Cowboys is a perfect example.

Technique and footwork can be cleaned up at the next level. But we definitely want a powerful, nasty, relentless blocker like this on our OL. When his game cleans up this kid will be a bad man on the college field. Would be a huge addition.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    As most know Belton (TX) Kansas State OL commit Zach Shackelford is officially visiting Texas this weekend. This is a weird recruitment because the timing of the decision is very tight. Shackelford has a great relationship with all the coaches at Kansas State but Texas has proximity on their side. Shackelford has told me that there is no family pressure to go to either school and that they just want the best fit for him. He made it pretty simple by telling me that his official visit to Texas next weekend is going to be the reason he either flips to Texas or sticks with Kansas State.

The reason I say the timing is so tight in this recruitment is that Shackelford will be enrolling at either Texas or Kansas State on Monday January 18th because classes start at both schools on the following day. Shackelford is torn between both schools and would probably much rather go home and think about his options after the Texas visit, but time just isn’t on his side. Shackelford’s mother [;)] and his older brother will join him on his visit and it will be Coach Matt Mattox’s first big recruiting job to reel in Shackelford. Landing Jean Delance was huge for Mattox (though we felt Delance was headed to Texas regardless).

I’ve said it for awhile that if Shackelford makes it in for his visit and things go well, I think there is a good chance he’s in Austin to stay on the 18th.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    It will be a crazy day in the Shackelford house on Thursday when the dead period ends. On Thursday morning Kansas State HC Bill Snyder and OL coach Charlie Dickey will be in Belton for an in-home visit. Later that day, Texas HC Charlie Strong and OL coach Matt Mattox will be in town to do an in-home visit with the Shackelford family.

There is one thing Shackelford wants to do when he arrives at either Texas or Kansas State, he told me, “I really want to play as a freshman.” He will have a chance to play early at either school since Texas, who likes him at center is losing their starting and backup centers. Kansas State, who likes him at guard, is losing their two starting guards to graduation. When I asked if he prefers playing center or guard in college he said he didn’t mind but said, “I’ve always been intrigued with center. It’s always been something I have wanted to do”.

The recruiting madness will begin on Thursday and continue until he enrolls at a school on Monday, but I continue to feel more and more confident he will be in Austin to stay when Monday rolls around.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do we know what the draw to wheat aggy is?

• Like Like x 1
  15. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

My understanding from a well placed source is KSU was consistent in their early recruiting and developing a good relationship. Just good recruiting it seems.
    Also, Texas was late to the party because Wickline was not liked at all by Shack. The coaching change at Texas is why we are in this at all.

• Like Like x 5
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you Theu.

17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

You are welcome. I think UT has a shot. He is a great kid and any school would be honored to have him.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I haven’t seen any news on Zack this morning but he is expected to start classes somewhere on Tuesday. Anyone heard anything?

19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I'm in his closet waiting....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I haven't heard yet. But will post when I know something.

21. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Official announcement will be at 3 pm today per Zach's twitter

• Like Like x 1
  22. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

23. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

We will all know at 3pm. Not before. But Zach is a great kid. Can only wish him well whatever his decision.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

We got him

• Like Like x 1
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 5
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It's happening, isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  29. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Sweet...love OL with a nasty streak. And Shack is overflowing with big nasty. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

It looks like it and I sure hope it is