OU's Boren wants expansion

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BabHorn, Jun 27, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

not sure if this topic belongs here or in the In the Stands:
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spo...ls-for-big-12-/nmkYs/#200e67a7.3503856.735776

I am not sure if this is true now with the distributors added since the end of the last FB season. The coverage should be there nationwide now for the upcoming FB season.

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Good post. I agree with Boren, the B12 does need two quality adds.

Just who those 2 quality programs are is up for ongoing debate and conjecture. I know Major is at UH now, but am I CLEAR when I say NO to UH. Can someone say "crystal".

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Major won't be at UH long. The albatross is off his neck.

4. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Let's face it.
    The Big 12 sucks! Dodds ****** us good and proper when we had the chance to go west.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I seriously doubt that Houston brings any possibility for additional revenue to the table and that is one of the standards that Boren wants the two new schools to bring.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately there isn't one quality school available much less two.

• Like Like x 2
  7. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Was she really that fat? She was pleasantly plump and had a nice smile. Pics of her on his neck?

8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I'm not clear on his comment that "the network south of us that has struggled and has in a way as long as it’s there".

Is he suggesting that the Longhorn Network has struggled? Has it? I don't know, really, what it's revenues and profitability has been as compared to what was projected for its first few years. Is it a financial loser?

Regarding its quality, aside from periodic snoozers like Austin rodeo, academic side shows of little interest, etc., I've found the network to be of high quality and of general high interest.

It has become a good training/passing through position for a number of good announcers/analysts like Gallindo, Kaylee Hartung, Ricky(to me surprisingly very good, considering his previous public shyness issues), etc. It broadcasts things that some young kids may not otherwise get to see and appreciate (e.g., Spring graduation, an impressive show of the awesomeness of UT-Austin), regularly shows views of major coaches that don't often come through in 15-second post game interviews (e.g, "Home Plate" with Augie, I know some cringe, but it does show he's got interests outside of baseball).

Anyone know the basis of Boren's comment on LHN's struggles?

9. WorsterMan

Someone posted some comments on HF a while back about the status of LHN so far. I recall the report card was satisfactory at this point. Someone correct me if I am wrong. As for Boren's comments I think he just chose to take a poke at UT since we have a network and ou does not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I recently learned that OU has soonersports.com through Fox Sports. I have no idea on its size, revenues, success, etc.

I find the comment on the success of LHN by Boren to be laughable. LHN has been positive for UT regarding exposure and revenues for UT. Why else would UT have signed up with ESPN? Revenues will reportedly increase as the years go by. Whether ESPN feels it is a good deal remains to be seen.

As I have said before, I prefer a Big XII network over LHN but how does the conference now convince UT to give up LHN to join a Big XII network? That would be costly and the other schools would still be pissed about UT getting a ton of $$$ to compensate it for giving up a sweet deal for the good of the conference.

11. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Intersting article on impact on revenues with the addition of two teams to the Big XII.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...g-12-conference-expansion-realignment-revenue

Bottom line seems to be little change in revenues per team with addition. If the addition reduces negative aspects of being a "10 team / no conference championship game" in the eyes of the new playoff system voters, add the two teams.

I like playing all the teams in your conference each year. I don't like playing a team more than once per year to determine a conference winner. But why limit your conference?

Let the arguments about who to add begin.

12. snek

snek 500+ Posts

Access to Soonersports is not all that difficult depending on where you live. As long as you have the big antenna attached to your mobile home pointed the right direction it can come in quite clear. That is if there isn't a storm or Cooter hasn't changed the antenna out of spite because you did not let him take his first cousin on a date.

• Like Like x 2
  13. WorsterMan

The only FBS independents are the same 4 programs that have been independent for a while:

BYU might be a viable or serious prospect for the Big 12 if they are interested
    Army and Navy wouldn't bring much to the table IMO and there is the distance issue
    ND doesn't believe they need to be in a conference and has spurned past offers to join other conferences

Any other programs to be added would have to be pulled from an existing conference
    Most universities interested in making a move would be smaller programs that would bring little to no revenue to the table
    Pickens are slim

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Shaggy,

You are partially correct. Deloss screwed us, but it has nothing to do with "going West". That ship sailed because of the greediness of Stanford and Berzerkley.

Deloss' greatest weakness was "people selection". Classic example, was Deloss allowing Donnie Duncan to be Director of Football for the Big XII. I had a one on one with Deloss during which I asked a question and made a statement:

1) "Why the f**k did you do that?"

2) He's been an embarrassment everywhere he's been. He's a worthless piece of ****. He will embarrass you and the conference before he's fired."

That said, when Deloss brought little Chuckie NeinASS into the Big XII office, he totally humped the puppy on the two best expansion candidates, both of whom had their bags packed and tickets purchased to make the move. THAT should and will be NeinASS' legacy, along with a lot of other less than "smell good" transactions in the sports world. Sans, NeinASS, you would have your much stronger league and bigger TV package than you have now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Who were those two? I forgot(senility, ya know). BTW, great post!

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I tend to agree with Boren. On balance, LHN doesn't really provide any spark for the Big 12, and it's not making ESPN any money outside the borders of Texas. I love it for its programming, but I'm really in the Texas-loving minority on that one.

The problem is that if you replace it with a network similar to the Big 10 or SEC, is it going to do as well as either of those? The answer is an obvious "no" right now. Maybe in 2008 it would have been raking it in. Our conference is down, there's no doubt about it. The football and basketball results of the past year show that. Clearly.

As for realignment again, I just don't care at this point. I think things are so fluid nowadays with legal jargon and whatever, that we could potentially add 2 or 4 or 6 new members and then change it again if we didn't like it. Same goes for the SEC/ACC expanding to 16 teams, or whatever. If I had to make a list of teams and just throw darts to grab new teams, it would be 6 teams long and include BYU, Boise, UH, Memphis, Cincy, UCF.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You can add those six teams and lose the existing TV contract, because except for the cult, NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY FANS! Those six draw about as much interest as the Nickelodeon channel in a biker bar. Why not grab Tulane and the convicts at the same time, both have similar followings, but would at least be good road trips. Maybe, just maybe if we played Boise, Memphis, Cincinnati, and UCF all in one game, Patterson could sell 2500 (not thousand) tickets to their combined fanbases.

University of Third Ward would sell tickets to come to Austin, but nobody would watch them on TV. CITY SCHOOLS (Houston, Memphis, Loserville, Memphis, Cincinnati, Pitt, and Miami) do not collectively have enough fans to fill up half of Rice Stadium.

Boren said OU would go along and do whatever we do, but he never thought in his worst nightmare that Deloss would turn it over to NeinASS. We owe OU & oSu for their support, so anywhere we go needs to be a trio

• Like Like x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree but 3 (or any odd number) is a difficult number for a conference to get its hands around. Tulane would be a good road trip every other year, but NOLA adds nothing in TV talk. Also I doubt that Texas could rid itself of sand aggy in any move.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

In the original plan of 1985, Tech was being dumped on the WAC, so don't be too sure that they fit in anywhere. Their political clout is very limited, but then ours isn't on steroids with the little Rickie leftovers and a Lt Governor from Maryland.

20. Spur 90

Spur 90 25+ Posts

BYU is interesting in that they bring a ton of fans / TV viewers, a good program and some different geography.

Houston adds nothing regarding fans or additional TV sets. Memphis and Boise? Blah. Cincy perhaps.

If we are adding teams, Tulane would be an incredible destination but brings nothing else (except to make an even #12). The teams from FL are mildly interesting.

And we are tied to OU and probably Tech and OU is tied to OSU. Although no one from the current Big 12 is leaving in the next 20 years (media rights) unless the Big 12 agrees to disband, which would mean the Kansas schools and probably the Texas private schools agreed, which I can't see happening.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

The only potential additions to the B 12 (9) that would have truly elevated the conference and added television sets were FSU and Clemson. I seriously doubt there was ever really a shot at that, but adding those teams (and 1 other to make 12) would create a really interesting conference, with a big foothold in SEC country. That would be a far bigger coup than the SEC babysitting aggie for us. I never believed there was anything behind the talk. Was there?

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duck,

For your consideration - The ACC is controlled by Swofford, who is controlled by UNC. It is a basketball conference. During Swofford's overwhelmingly stupid expansion, he went out and grabbed:

VT - forced by the Va legislature. They do travel better than any ACC school except Clemson
    Convicts - Rice size school with zero following. Unless it's ND, Florida or FSU, they couldn't fill up half of Rhodes Stadium in Katy. No following, doesn't travel and brings nothing to the conference. Without subhuman scum, they will never be relevant again.
    Syr-excuse - University of Third Ward with snow
    ND Lite - fresh off gambling and point shaving scandals, they can't bring 20% of TVs in Boston much less anywhere else. Don't travel, no following.
    UConn- how do you lose $3 million going to your first BCS bowl? No fans!
    Loserville - See comment below
    Pitt - Another city school with no following. Pitt holds the modern era award for lowest attendance in a Cotton Bowl when they played an undefeated SMU. That was a glorious day for Texas recruiting.
    ND - Hard to say whom the Catholics butt ****** harder - Swofford or NeinASS, but they aren't part of the answer to your post.

This grab really pissed off GT, Clemson, and FSU. Papers were actually prepared. Serious doubt about FSU? Prior to Loserville selecting to move to the ACC, Loserville offered to pay FSU's ACC exit fee if they would take them with them to the Big XII. For that matter, Fred Smith did something similar for Memphis since his son was going to be the QB.

Again, ACC expansion was done in two steps. Bringing the non football northern schools into a traditionally Southern conference, really set them off. They wanted out. Somebody humped the puppy on this and it wasn't Deloss.

23. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

We can leave any ******* time we like! What da gonna do sue us? We don't need no stinkin' money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

And another twenty years of this ******** is the true definition of insanity!

25. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

So Sabre, are you saying that FSU, GT, and Clemson would consider joining the B12? That would be an excellent football conference, not any significant basketball improvement, and wouldn't hurt baseball a bit. A presence in the heart of SEC country. One football team that has recent NC experience, and two that have had limited recent success, but decent history over time. Certainly bigger fan bases than UH or SMU. Much better than Memphis or Louisville, at least in football. Why can't this happen?

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duck,

Not anymore. Clemson and FSU were the preference and were the two most pissed off at Swofford. The Sons of Clem travel very well; FSU almost not at all. Still, the were the two premier ACC football programs.

There were powers that be, who wanted GT to be in the middle of SEC country. GT is an overgrown Rice. They don't travel. Just as Texas & aTm dominate Houston, UGA dominates Atlanta. GT can't sellout conference games, and when they play UGA, they are outnumbered 10 to 1. GT would have brought little other than large numbers of injuries from their chicken **** head coach's cut blocking.

Clemson & FSU would have been a great get, but that ship has sailed and ain't coming back. There is a better chance of us going to the ACC than them coming to the Big XII, and suspect the ACC would be no better than third on our list of choices.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

ESPN is saying the pac 12 wants us and on to the sec

28. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

when did ESPN say Pac 12 and SEC wanted Texas?

LHN....boring; while expecting better programming it is full of reruns of reruns....SEC Network even with reruns is better because of more variety

29. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

The only interesting options are teams that left (NU, Mizzou), teams that don't have a football conference (BYU, ND), or teams that won't first time join the Big 12 (LSU, Arky).

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We long wanted to get rid of Nebraska because the only thing they bring to the table is that they travel well. There are more TVs in the Metroplex than the entire state of Nebraska. Their entire following is in that state, as opposed to OU, oSu, and Arkansas, all of whom have their largest alumni bases in Texas. Notice the decline in Nebraska's recruiting base in Texas since they left?

Mizzou owns two major TV markets in St Louis & KC. They are happy with their revenue from the SEC, but like Arkansas, the businesses aren't happy that no one travels to Columbia from the SEC.

Will Baylor & TCU allow the cult?

ND has joined the ACC under a contract that Swofford negotiated. The Catholics spent a lot of time in Austin and at meeting in Dallas (technically I guess a couple of the big ones were in Grapevine). You can thank NeinASS for ND going elsewhere. Oh, did I fail to mention that Swofford was also at a couple of meetings in the Metroplex?

No one is leaving the SEC to come to a horribly run conference which is on life support particularly when Patterson is so unpredictable.

Bottom line, there are no viable options for expansion. Perhaps Patterson will have us flee to the new International Athletic Conference, where we could compete with Dubai Tech, Guadalajara Body and Fender, Hong Kong School for Textiles, Bejing Financial College, Sao Paulo Engineering School, Bangalore Electronic Institute, Mexico City School of Pharmaceuticals. That would expand Patterson's brand.