QB Matthew Merrick remains a Longhorn

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Matthew Merrick - Class of 2015
    Pro-Style Quarterback
    Cistercian Prep (Irving, TX)
    6-3/185

Per ESPN on Nov 24, 2014:
    Matthew Merrick committed to Texas, but will grayshirt and delay his enrollment by a year. Merrick had offers from Colorado State and Nevada. Merrick would give the Longhorns a fourth quarterback for 2016, along with starter Tyrone Swoopes, redshirting freshman Jerrod Heard and incoming freshman Zach Gentry.​

As of March 2, 2015

Per BurntOrangeNation:
    With the Irving Cistercian quarterback still unsigned by Texas, other programs were trying to convince him to take a scholarship offer in the 2015 class. But Merrick will stick with his plan to enroll next January as a member of the 2016 group. [Emphasis added]​

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

While it can be argued that a "project" QB will be taking a spot away from next year's smaller class, I can't help but think this is good news.

Merrick has been (and I think is continuing) working with Kevin Murray - you know, what's-his-name's dad - in private lessons. He knows he needs devoloping/seasoning; he's committed himself to improving; and he loves UT. His drive and determination can't help but have a positive impact on other QBs next year - especially on anyone thinking, "At least I'm next in line if _________ goes down."

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would stay away from the Murray family, but hopefully Merrick is responsible enough to stick with development and not the brainwashing that surely is going on.

4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

March 4, 2015

5. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

I'm no QB expert for sure, but looks like some pretty good arm talent to me. I realize it's a lower level competition, but just looking at the way he can throw the football looks good.