Ridgeway draft status

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 22Horn, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Been away all day....was he drafted today

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

.......Should have stayed put for another year under Strong.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, he seems to have slipped on many of board for who knows what reason, still should be fourth round pick and yes sadly his decision which looked like a really good one for months is not turning out as well as it appeared. Still he will go early today and if he had stayed and gotten injured who knows if he would have been drafted at all. So fourth round may not have been what he wanted but it means some guaranteed money and a likely roster spot as teams are loath to cut picks from first four-five rounds.

5. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I don't follow pro football, but I did a little looking around to see what I could find out about Ridgeway's status. I found an article that said he had a good workout performance for the pro teams, but didn't have a good interview.

I don't know what that really means, because I don't keep up with pro football. Maybe someone that follows pro ball could explain what impact that could have on his draft status.

6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I saw a few people saying he wasn't consistent enough and he played his best ball when Malcolm brown was next to him. With all those bama guys I figured he would be a 3rd rounder

7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Baylor's Billings is also still on the board. This was a very deep class at DT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Which is a good reason to stay another year.

9. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Has Texas ever had a draft with no one taken in the first three rounds?

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He was given a 1st round grade by some NFL folks
    This is why he declared
    In hindsight, it seems he was misled

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2012 and 2014
    2014 had no Longhorn at all drafted (thanks Mack)
    After that, you have to go back to 2000

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Let's start the age old argument about whether Mack left CS talent.

14. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Over the years I've changed my mind on this thing. Although there is a reason to stay in school another year, to possibly increase your initial salary with a higher draft position, there are also some reasons for coming out early, even though a player may not be taken in the initial rounds of the draft as a junior.

Some kids just don't like being academic students and would rather play football full time for a living, even if it's for six figures rather than seven. After their first contract is up, if they are good at football, they will still make a lot of money if they stay healthy. If they could have come out of high school and gone to a minor league, they might have preferred doing that. Unfortunately, minor leagues, D-league or Europe are not available to football players.

Staying for a senior year could be both good or bad. They might be injured and lose any chance of even that initial salary and time in the NFL. They could have reduced production on the field, or off field questions come up, which causes them to fall lower than they were initially projected as a junior.

Just because a player comes out early and falls to the 4th round or even to FA status doesn't mean that it was a bad choice. There are no guarantees as to what would have happened during his senior year had he stayed in school. It's a chance either way and some would prefer the NFL lifestyle to the college lifestyle. If they wash out at football, they can always come back and finish school if they want to. Good luck Hassan.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Green Mile to Colts

Mid 4th rounders are guaranteed ~ $550k

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Can't blame anyone for coming out early. But always a debate as to whether its right for the individual.

18. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

The rest will probably be free agents.....Hopefully Texas will start putting a few in the top 3 rounds every year starting in 2018.

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Let's not. However, whenever we do start that argument again, this 2016 draft might be another point of evidence to add to one side of that argument, huh?

20. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Mississippi's money was on the right guys.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I'll recap. Mack left CS a couple of DT's, a linebacker, and two DB's. Nothing on offense except a middling WR, and absolutely no depth. Great start for success.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, at least it wasn't another shut out in the draft. And congrats to Hassan!!

23. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Tupelo honey.

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well CS went 6-7 with 5 draft picks and 5-7 with 1 draft pick so that's where we are today.

Mack went 8-5 with no draft picks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. meadowlark

meadowlark 100+ Posts

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Watched Ohio State kill the first round, we have to wait for one kid to get drafted in the 4th?, look forward not back ...

27. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I guess on the bright side, the rest of the world has a better understanding of the depths we encountered prior to Charlie's arrival. Still no OL men drafted for 8 years running. Wheeee!

28. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

In retrospect, Mack did an amazing job to get those 8 wins that year.
    Every sane person recognizes that Mack was a great coach.
    The problem was that our program had lost its zing, such that it seemed that 8 wins was all we could hope for, even if Mack coached his tail off. We weren't getting and/or developing enough talent.
    I think Strong is, and will be, recruiting and developing talent that has the potential to win 10-12 games. I just didn't have the feeling Mack was about to be doing that. It may be that Strong can't get full potential out of this upgrade because of some of his other shortcomings. We'll see. I do think Mack left an 8-win-max type of program.

At least I think the serial complainers should recognize that even if Strong loses too many games and gets run off, we are rebuilding the talent base at a good curve such that whoever comes in after him would have half the work already done toward high-level winning; in other words, inheriting what Mack did, or Fred Akers or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Because recruiting rankings are 100% accurate?

30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Certainly not. If they were, then Mack's recruiting was just fine.