TE Irvin Smith (Apr 8) - Decomm aggy 1-21

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Godz40acres, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]
    Irvin Smith ..... Brother Martin (New Orleans, LA)
    3-star ..... TE ..... 6-4/230 ..... aggy bammy

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per 247Sports via OB:
    TE Irvin Smith discusses receiving a Texas offer...
    "Coach Traylor actually followed me on Twitter a month ago," Smith said. "He finally reached out to me tonight and told me to give him a call. He was really straightforward and said he really liked my film. He said I can be a great asset to the program."

"Well, Texas is like a dream school for me," Smith said. "I know a lot of great players come out of there, and they have a great tradition. I can also see myself being a really good fit in their offense."

"I wanted to go to the Texas spring game, but I can't because I'm taking the ACT that day," Smith said. "But I'm definitely going to make a visit there soon."​

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Smith's father (also named Irvin) played TE for Notre Dame and was a first round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 1993.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I like the block he throws at about the 2:16 mark. Good hands, size and strength. Solid blocking techniques, and good speed.

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

On December 12, Irvin Smith will take his OV to UT with his Brother Martin brother-from-another-mother, Peyton Aucion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Update on TE Irvin Smith of New Orleans, LA after leaving Austin (24/7):

“The visit went really good,” Smith said. “I got a chance to meet all the coaches. My conversations with them went really well. It was just a good time. The players were all cool, too. Tyrone Swoopes answered a lot of my questions. It was great.”

Coach Strong just told me that they don’t have a guy like me and that they could really use me,” Smith said. “Coach Traylor said I could have a big impact and be a part of something great at UT. Coach Gilbert talked to me about the offense and joked around. It was great.”

“I guess it changed things a little bit,” Smith said. “I don’t really want to talk too much about it right now. But Texas is a great university. The coaches and the players were all very welcoming.”

[Per a poster on another site]

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Irv Smith took down his A&M banner pic and profile pic from his Twitter page

8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Hammy --

(aggy's) 2016 class could be on the verge of taking a hit in the near future. Over the weekend, New Orleans Brother Martin tight end Irvin Smith took an official visit to Texas with his teammate and Longhorn pledge Peyton Aucoin. With all the uncertainty around offensive coordinator Jake Spavital’s future in College Station, the three-star prospect says he may be forced to open his recruitment back up if Kevin Sumlin decides to go in another direction at offensive coordinator. “If they let him go I’m probably going to open things up but they might wait to do it after signing day, I don’t know, so I’m just looking at everything right now,” Smith said. “I’m just keeping my options open. For right now that’s the plan. I’m not sure.”

Smith says he has been very upfront with the A&M coaches throughout the process and was set to speak with his future position coach Monday night. “I’m supposed to talk with coach (Jeff) Banks tonight so I’m going to tell him how my visit went and what I’m thinking,” he said. “It’s probably going to be a serious conversation. If they get a new OC, I’ll talk with him. I still like the school and everything. I wouldn’t rule them out so we’ll see what happens”

After his official visit to Texas, Charlie Strong and his staff are the biggest threats to land the talented pass catcher. “I enjoyed it a lot,” he said. “I didn’t know much about UT and Austin but I got a whole feel for the city and coaches. I told them that I didn’t want to hear them compare A&M to them or anything. Right now they’re probably the team right up there with A&M but I still haven’t visited Alabama.” He added, “They’re up there now [he said of Texas]. It’s been very stressful for me all of this stuff so I’m just taking it day by day. I’m talking with my family and everything. I’m still committed but I’m still going to take a visit out to Alabama in January and possibly Memphis.”

The No. 21 ranked tight end in the country, per the 247Composite rankings, is set to speak with Nick Saban on the phone today. He will be in Tuscaloosa the weekend of Jan. 22nd. Sumlin has yet to use his one allotted in-home visit with Smith so that will take place sometime after the dead period.

10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

From Smith's UT visit last weekend (Dec 12):

"It was a great visit. I got to meet with all the coaches for the first time. I had actually met coach (Jeff) Traylor before, but I got to meet with coach Strong and all the other coaches for the first time. That was nice."

"I got to meet some of the players committed there since they were on their visit too. I built pretty good relationships moving forward into the future."

This past Wednesday night, before Kyler Murray's transfer was announced:

"It is alarming. But I'm hanging in there. I'm not going to rush anything. We have a dead period so nobody can go visit schools anyway. I'm just hanging in there right now. We'll see what happens."

Smith is scheduled to visit Alabama January 22.

11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    The recruitment of Brother Martin (LA) Texas A&M TE commit Irvin Smith is far from over. I’ve said previously that if Jake Spavital was let go at TAMU I’d expect Smith to eventually decommit from the Aggies. I still feel good about that statement but Smith is going to see who Kevin Sumlin hires as his new offensive coordinator first.

Smith also has official visits planned to Alabama and Memphis before NSD.

I’ve been told Texas has put themselves in a very nice spot with Smith due to Coaches Jeff Traylor and Brick Haley, but also with some help from his teammate Texas TE commit Peyton Aucoin who has been big on the recruitment of all the Louisiana guys in 2016.

There is still a lot to go on in Smith’s recruitment right now but it is one to watch as Texas plans to take 2 TE’s in 2016 and Smith seems to be the most likely candidate to be the 2nd.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If he ends up at Memphis Texas has issues.

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Maybe, maybe not. It could mean the kid has issues which we know nothing about. Character issues, family, $$, etc.

February is coming, but not soon enough for me. I wants me some commits yesterday!!

14. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

He decommitted from aggy today.

I think aggsy is at Decomm 5 and the BMD have their fingers on the button, ready to launch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Aggies have re-instituted decommitment weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Tradition

• Like Like x 2
  17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    As you all know by now, Texas TE target Irvin Smith decommitted from Texas A&M last night. Smith has already officially visited Texas but I spoke with his teammate and Texas TE commit, Peyton Aucoin and asked if Irvin is expected to make a return trip to Texas and he said that he is, “trying to get him to”.

In talking to people familiar with Smith’s recruitment there is a strong feeling he will end up at Texas but with a trip to Alabama scheduled for this weekend, it’s not over just yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Alabama is making a strong late push and it's probably a toss up between Texas and Bama now.

19. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:
    TE Irvin Smith recently decommitted from Texas A&M and it looks like it is a two horse race for the talent TE. Those two teams are Texas and Alabama. Smith officially visited Texas right before the dead period on December 12th and TE coach Jeff Traylor, his area recruiter Coach Brick Haley, and Texas TE commit his teammate Peyton Aucoin have all done a very good job recruiting him. Based on what I have been told I feel good about Texas’ chances to land Smith, but Alabama is still in the picture.

Right now Alabama has 2 TE commits but I was told they would be open to taking a 3rd TE, but Smith isn’t the #1 guy on their remaining board right now. I was told that they have a TE (Devin Asiasi) visiting this weekend and if they don’t feel good about that recruit after the visit, Smith will likely get a call. If they do, then Smith’s spot at Alabama won’t be available.

It will be a busy week as I was told Smith is expected to host Texas HC Charlie Strong and Alabama HC Nick Saban for in-home visits on Thursday. Like I said I feel good about Texas chances right now, but you should keep your eye out for the Crimson Tide.

20. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

It's being reported that Smith has cancelled his visit with Strong and will sign with Alabama.:puke:

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

By who?

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I prefer competing with Alabama for recruits.

23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Until he signs on the X we have still have a shot Bama has a few tight ends already

24. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Many recruiting services are including people like Higdon and OB. They say he cancelled his last visit with Strong.

If he doesn't meet with Strong, it's over.

25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well, if Strong and Saban both offered the kid has been well evaluated and is a player.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

RC didn't offer.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but the Aggie hatred of UT is amazing; in this case they have been reduced to GLOATING along with experiencing feelings of JOY that a recruit who decommited from them is not going to Texas but instead is going to the team that is the biggest mountain in their way. Unbelievable.

It's an interesting pathology; do they hate UT because of it's perceived (possibly real; No! No way right? Ha) arrogance? But it's ironic given the fact that they are as arrogant as they come because of their refusal to accept reality. They TRULY believe they are on the same level (in football) even though the historical evidence to the contrary is overwhelming to the contrary.

As John Wooden once said, "Never mistake activity for accomplishment."

I think he was talking to them.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

To be fair, other Aggys said these posts were embarrassing. The problem is that the rational ags are vastly outnumbered.

• Like Like x 2