Texas sends cease and desist to Aggies

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

No, not the aggys. The Aggies.
    -------
    Per BON:

The University of Texas has asked Kossuth High School to change its steer logo, according to the Daily Corinthian. The Mississippi High School, which boldly bears an Aggie nickname and maroon school colors, has been given 15 days to contact Texas to discuss the use of the Longhorn logo.

“This is a big deal,” Kossuth Principal Travis Smith told the Corinthian. “But, it’s not anything Kossuth faculty, students, parents or fans should be upset about toward the university. The Texas Longhorns are protecting their logo and I understand why. It’s just something we are going to have overcome. It will be a hard change, but one we will work out.

”Alcorn School District Attorney Arch Bullard has said that the school will choose another steer silhouette to replace it’s current incarnation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That is so, so wrong.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, pretty clear that is the UT steer head :bevo:

They just need to find a steer symbol that looks more like the old west steer head that Fort Worth uses for it's city logo.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

How come it took so long to find this? Mississippi isn't that far away.

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

You guys are missing the most important part. That high school has a great baseball program., How come we aren't getting any of those players???

• Like Like x 3
  6. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

If they were aggys, they would have sawed the horns off.

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how the Early Longhorns (basically in Brownwood) are allowed to use the UT logo (albeit in another color) and "Longhorns"? Maybe just a long-standing allowance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WorsterMan

I suspect Brownwood has been using it for a long time and possibly before UT actually protected it with a trademark. UT probably chose to not challenge their use of it.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas and Cedar Hill ISD came to an agreement several years ago on how and where the Longhorn Logo could he used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tico

Tico 25+ Posts

Dobie High School (Pasadena,TX), as well, uses the colors and Longhorn logo. At least it looks like the logo. i'm sure there is a small differnece

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Pretty close...

dobie2.jpg

dobie1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I suspect Texas is quite happy for Texas high schools to use the Longhorn logo, provided it's done in the right way.

Calling yourself the aggies, using maroon coloring and being in Mississippi are not the right way.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

All of this

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I suppose "aggie" is about agriculture, so putting a ranch animal on the helmet is not a crazy idea. Pigs, sheep, hens, donkeys, well, they don't make good mascots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I suggest they go with this....

• Like Like x 2
  16. WorsterMan

Shaggy Bevo!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

BON reports that the school has modified its logo after three months of design work.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

now if they could just do something about that Aggie thing.............lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Where are its ears??

20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Axtell Longhorns ... they even play Texas Fight!

... but ... Willie. NM.

21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

.... I went to BEHS ... it was terrible when we played Axtell my senior year ... then they'd score. It was like I was a traitor!

I'll never forget being harassed about my half-shirt under the shoulder pads ... a #20 Burnt Orange Jersey ... told to remove it, in fact despite there was no sign of it with the HS jersey on, even untucked as they'd become during the course.

--- then getting out coached ... badly. SMH.

22. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

I work for city of Fort Worth. They were asked to either pay royalties or change the logo. Fort Worth fought UT in court and lost! Quite funny! You fight UT with a law school and teams of lawyers.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

Trademark law is different than other areas of intellectual property law in that a trademark owner must enforce their trademark or they risk losing it. In patent law, by contrast, it's perfectly ok for a patent owner to selectively enforce against some infringing parties but not others.

It always seems dickish when big universities force high schools to stop using their logos, but the universities really have no choice or they could lose the trademark.