That, My Friends, Is Called TURNING THE CORNER!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Oct 10, 2015.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

FINALLY!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Yes Sir!! I think so. About time. Gonna be fun again. The 4 year College Gameday boycott is over.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is how you fight and scrap and claw and pull out a huge win. I don't know that we win that game again in three or four times, but they really fought their guts out, played smart football, drew an officiating crew that wasn't obsessed with calling holding, and the kids finally got something to feel good about.

• Like Like x 7
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The team played very well and appeared to be very well coached. Few mistakes, few penalties, excellent clock management, great defensive scheming. Very impressive. The impact of this win cannot be overestimated.

• Like Like x 5
  5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Boy I hope so, that was everything that needed to be done getting done and imposing your will on a game. Play this way for rest of year and this win becomes the season saving and maybe even career saving win that Charlie needed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

:bevo:

7. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Word for word, agree :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  8. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Whoa now! Let's tap the brakes here. I am just as excited as everyone else but let's get to .500 and see where we are at. To really turn the corner I want to see consistancy and multiple wins, like 2 more to give us a winning record then push through to a guaranteed winning season before our bowl game. Meaning win out! Great win though today:bevo:

• Like Like x 3
  9. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Really??

I'm a FAN. I live in the Moment!!
    We will kick everyone's butt from here on out!!!!! Hook'em Horns!

Take your brake tapping, analytical common sense to the betting window...

OU SUCKS!!!! :yippee:

• Like Like x 6
  10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I was most impressed with the tackling. Malik whiffed on a sack once. That was about it. Best tackling I've seen in a long long time.

11. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

I'm amazed with the game today.

I was concerned Charlie might not get the time to finish what he started. This will buy him the time.

We started strong against TCU then DJ got hit, fumbled and was lost for the game. Things went downhill from there ...

Today we play hard all game long. The Swoopes TD pass was priceless.

12. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I don't think this guarantees anything for Charlie. Bottom line is he has to win. At least 5-7 and maybe 6-6 is minimum to keep his job. Sure hope we can keep this up. I'd love to see him successful. Nice guys can finish first. But we have a long long way to go to be competitive with Baylor and TCU. And that's just wrong.

13. Tmanjake

Tmanjake < 25 Posts

Horns lost last year but outplayed them. In case no one remembers, that's three years in a row that the Horns have outplayed that bunch. Three. Hope, for once, we can build on this one.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MobiusHorn

MobiusHorn 100+ Posts

To say this was a watershed game may not be an exaggeration. The way the season plays out will be the telling factor. But I think this could be a huge win for CS and his stewardship of the program. This may give the needed validation of his leadership that the kids need for confidence for the rest of the year. I believe that's the case......

:bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

No turnovers. Few penalties. No special teams errors. Started strong. Won the battle for the LOS (I can't believe I just said that).
    And FINISHED the game.

• Like Like x 4
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I'm not sure that I can name a bigger, more significant win since Nebraska of 2009. Can anyone else? This could be the program changer we have been seeking. Remember, I said "could be."

I have been wrong so many times in 2015 but, I'll go out on a limb and say that this will indeed be the springboard for the Strong era. We didn't just win. We dominated a very good team, in a huge game. We dominated our most important and hated rival. How would you like to be a Sooner fan tonight?

I think it would be reasonable to speculate that this very young and (I believe) very talented team may finally be coming together. As an example, consider all of the freshmen that have played in the secondary: Boyd, Davis, Hill, Bonney, Elliott...They are getting better with each game and some, like Hill, are pretty darn good already. And it's not just the freshmen. What about Vaccaro? Like his brother, Kevin is a game changer. Wow.

Consider this: A very young, embattled team just played a near perfect game and had a massive load lifted off their shoulders. Now they have an extra week to further implement the new offense, tweak the defense and educate the freshmen. If we beat KSU in two weeks -- and I expect that we will, look out!

We needed a signature win. That's what we just saw.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I think that last game against Aggy in 2011 was kind of big, it still lives on in infamy to date.

• Like Like x 4
  18. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

No matter when you ask me this question, the answer remains the same.

no.

• Like Like x 1
  19. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I love your enthusiasm duke, and a win over the land thieves is always awesome, but this is an awful OU team, and I'd be shocked if they end the season ranked. Remember that OU finished 5-4 in the B12 last year, and received a 40-6 beatdown from Clemson in their bowl game. We should have killed them last year, just like we did in 2013, but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. TCU and Baylor are the new Texas and OU in the B12, and when we beat one of those teams, I'll say we've turned a corner.

20. Lostnatx

Lostnatx < 25 Posts

Funny to see the "Strong must go" posts all evaporate with one win. A week ago after being dismantled easily by TCU everyone was calling for his firing. Now after one win it's 'Here we go! We've turned a corner!' Personally, I would have expected to see this sort of play in games that weren't rivalry games. I will enjoy the win but if we drop the next couple, everyone on here will be back to hunting for a new HC.

• Like Like x 1
  21. anteater1973

anteater1973 25+ Posts

If you guys can't even enjoy this team victory, and it was a complete team victory, over the dirt burglars for even a few hours you are totally pathetic. I suppose you were all there, or maybe not, but if you were and felt the energy of the crowd and more importantly the team then your comments are even more baffling. If you can't enjoy this win stay home next time.

• Like Like x 7
  22. Lostnatx

Lostnatx < 25 Posts

It's not about not enjoying a win. It's about being realistic about the program. Which isn't to say this team hasn't turned a corner and is moving in a good direction. But there is still a real possibility of another embarrassing beat down or two on our schedule. A win against OU is great- enjoy it but not at the expense of the big picture.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Texas

Joe Texas 25+ Posts

I jumped off the Charlie Strong bandwagon one week too early. The Horns were a different team against OU. They were well coached, enthusiastic and ready to play. I think this was a pretty good OU team Texas just beat and the team WILL use this win as a springboard for the rest of the season. IMO,this was a landmark victory. The enthusiasm at the end of the game brought tears to my eyes. Damn what a sense of relief! :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Great win, and they had at least found the corner. Pressure is off Strong now, and that is a good thing.

The win goes to the D-Line as they were able to once again able to harass Baker Mayfield (doesn't matter what uniform he is wearing). That prevented Mayfiled from finding the hole in the middle of the zone defense (still open) or the wide outs still open on the outside. 3rd and 4th downs defensive effort was better, but focusness still needed.

Offense did what they had to, but will 24 points win against tceh or Baylor?

25. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Gonna stay positive. If we play that hard for 60 minutes every game we can win out. Seriously. We have the talent.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Agree Creek, we have the talent. And now they just have to keep building that confidence week by week.
    Finally outlasting a team and getting a W in a hard fought, rivalry game is going to be a boon to these guys.

• Like Like x 1
  27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I've watched it 3 times so far live and twice on my dvr. They played a complete game and looked like the team we thought we would see this year. Hopefully they carry it into the next game and the next and the next

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's the advantage of being a fan. We get to enjoy these types of wins for a few more days than the coaching staff before needing to start to thinking about the whole picture or we can even take it one game at a time and savor the wins and complain about the losses. I am savoring this one for quite a few days before starting to worry about whether this is a signature win or not.

• Like Like x 3
  29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I saw a team yesterday, on both sides of the ball and special teams. Their confidence was up, there were no hanging heads and the guys were having fun playing ball and not trying to think to hard.

Now that they have that experience they need to play that way every week. As Strong said at the presser, "the expectations are now higher because we've seen what they can do."

As far as turning the corner, that is the level of play needed and the rift between upper and lower class men wasn't evident. Continue to play as a team, execute and work hard, and good things will happen. That was fun!

• Like Like x 2
  30. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 4