The NFL preseason injury controversies

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I understand the desire for fewer preseason games. I'm one of those who doesn't even count these as football, even while others are saying "I don't care if they don't count, it's football! I haven't had football since early February!" But I also don't think they are ever going to reduce the number of pre$ea$on game$, and I think we all know the rea$on why that i$. Plus, some of the players, especially younger guys, really do want them to get in gear for the regular season, rookies want to get used to the speed of the pro game, etc. And coaches/GMs want the games to make more information on who they keep on the roster

But I don't see the reason that so many coaches play established starters for a quarter or two, other than groupthink. It's what they've always done, it's what they were taught to do, what they've seen done, and what everyone else does. But they've got, what, 80ish guys to narrow down to 53? Coaches don't have to play 80 guys. Just play the guys whose status for making the team is uncertain, plus maybe some rookies or new arrivals or anyone who feels they really need the games to get ready. But for someone who is definitely going to be on the team and has been in the system, the default should be "don't play him in preseason at all". Otherwise, they've got nobody to blame but themselves when these guys get hurt in preseason games.

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Tom Landry's Cowboys were notorious for going like 0-4 in the preseason, only to start the regular season at like 8-2.

The Fedora used the games what they were intended for - headcount reduction to meet roster maximum.

If you enjoy pre-season games, like a tall glass of col' beer after being in the sun all day, fine. But smart coaches and fans don't put any stock in preseason games.