Tuesday, first day of team practices

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Oct 10, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

First day of full team practice was on Tuesday, 10/06/15. Got to see all of the players. Three did not participate in drills after warmups as they recover from injuries. I was really impressed that, although the coaches pushed them all practice, the team looked in great shape. Nobody looked like they were huffing and puffing during practice.

Something to keep watch on, their work on not overpassing but taking the good, open shot and trusting the rebounding if the shot is missed. A big part of that means that the players know and understand what is a good, open shot for each of them. What may be a good shot for Brady or Brooke may not be for one of the posts.

LaShann is going to be a defensive terror. Quick feet, quick hands, excellent anticipation and fast. And that’s not even talking about her offensive ability. Celina looks lighter and more confident. Good to see that.

Lots of work on positioning on defense, both individual and team. Lot of work on fullcourt layup drills. An encouraging sight, to me anyway, was seeing the team not just holding their own with the male practice players, but winning quite a few of those plays. There is still a lot to work on, but the team just seems to have a sense of confidence about them.

Coach Thompson is helping the posts understand positioning, footwork, and finishing strong. I want to see next Saturday’s practice as well to double check this, but I really liked how tight players were using screens. Last season, they swung around screeners so wide that the defender could easily follow them. Tuesday, they were brushing sleeves with the screener, giving themselves a chance to get open. That’s the way they need to run off screeners.

Mainly, I was just happy to see the first team practice. The season opener will be here soon and I am really excited about it. :coolnana:

• Like Like x 5
  2. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Thanks for the update Bab, which 3 players were sitting out?

3. lewishawks

lewishawks 25+ Posts

Got a chance to watch last week.

Hosey, Atkins, Sanders, and Tasia were sitting out and Taylor was limited to no contact. Brooke is hitting shots from everywhere and has become a real leader out there

• Like Like x 1
  4. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Do we know any details as to why these four players were sitting out? Thanks in advance.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Brooke quickly became one of my favorites on last year's team with her fiery attitude on the court. I can't remember if it was her first game but it was very early in the season when I saw her barking at Nneka after an unforced turnover - what you want a good point guard/floor general to do. My favorite play of hers though was when she got lifted up off the floor at least 6 inches when she was down amongst the bigs and tied the ball up on a rebound. She epitomizes the Twain's quote, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

• Like Like x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Okay, hope we are not going to be injury prone this year. First day of practice, it was Diani, Jordan and Ariel on the bicycles. Looks like we got one back and lost three. Hopefully, minor stuff.