Was I pranked or honest mistake?

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Texanne, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

So this morning, a little after 11, I get a phone call from a number I don't know. The guy asks me about my ad on Craigslist. I tell him I don't know anything about an ad, I didn't place one, and it must be a typo.. He apologizes, and we hang up. I didn't think anything more about it.

Until about 15 minutes later, when my phone starts blowing up with texts. They were all from guys. Horny guys. Asking me if I want to do it outside and what kind of donations I request and what are my rules.

I repeatedly explain that I don't have an ad. Then one of them sends the ad to me.

Oh. Dear. God.

It's a photo of bare breasts with a paragraph about stripping, spanking, outdoors, groups, and a poorly framed request for donatlons that makes it look an awful lot like prostitution. And the digits of my phone number are embedded in the text.

Several of my new friends said they would flag the post, and I sent Craigslist a complaint about it. The ad appears to he gone now.

I'm trying to think of who hates me enough to do something like this, and I can think of about three people. None of them are you guys.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

That’s so weird Texanne. Glad to hear the ad is gone now.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wow, sorry to hear of this... hope that is the end of it. Not sure how THAT could be random.

This is an example of one of the negatives about the Internet.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

A solid reason for my paranoia about all things www. I refuse to answer calls with 'unknown number' and try my best to not ever use the 'cloud'. It all makes me nervous.
    Really sorry to hear your misfortune TA and hope it's cleared up.

5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Texanne, I had this exact same experience but someone placed a gay sexual ad with my actual face pics (I assume from FB) and my cell number.

I thought it was a mistake at first also until I received tons of texts and calls the very day I returned home from a trip to South Beach.

Finally I told one inquiring guy of the mistake, asked for help, and he directed me to the ad. Apparently I was a "bottom" seeking very detailed sexual acts. I was mortified.

I couldn't for the life of me think at that time who I'd upset. I came to the conclusion it must've been the jealous ex husband of the only non-attached female on the South Beach trip, as I was the only single male. Though there was nothing between us nor any interaction prior to the trip suggesting there would be.

That's really all I could come up with as the guy was known to be intensely jealous, other than that I'd had no falling out or poor experiences with females in a long while.

I called Craigslist, traced the email back to it's provider who told me it was recently created the last few days, and then they said they could provide no further info.

Going off experience, someone disturbed is very unhappy with you, and odds are you did nothing harsh enough to instigate such a vicious attack.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that it is random, but you never know. Who would mess with Texanne?

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Not me brutha, not me!!!:smile1:

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I just thought you might want to meet some interesting new people.

• Like Like x 1