what does it really matter?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by zork, Sep 2, 2015.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Hey, it looks like bad judgement now, but Hillary was just avoiding the inconvenience of carrying two telephones to keep her public and private email separate. What could go wrong by keeping the Secretary of State email on a private server in your New York residence? As Zork explained, "nothing to see here," especially since now, with all the fuss, Hillary would have accepted the considerable inconvenience of having two phones.

3. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

The spin from her will be, it was not classified when she wrote those e-mails, therefore she did nothing wrong.

This is false.

The e-mails were not classified because she did not use the proper judgement as the information's originating authority (or simply disregarded her responsibilities) to properly classify them in the first place.

In the IC, under-classifying information (and what Clinton has done is even worse) is viewed as equal a violation as mishandling classified information. It's the same thing.

Everything Clinton has done would get any other security clearance holder fired and (doing this from a private server) almost certainly federally charged. For any other government job, this would be an automatic disqualifier for her candidacy.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

So texas_ex2000 you are saying Clinton was mishandling classified information, even if it was not yet classified because she should have been able to know it should have been secret? I'm buying.
    I honestly thought Sarah Palin's mishandling of official Alaska state business by working in her easily hacked Yahoo account was about the stupidest use of the internet in history. Given the vast differences in the relative sensetivities, Hillary's mistake seems worse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. texas_ex2000

In December 2011, (during the time that she had already covertly installed a non-government server and was using it and a personal email account to receive classified and even top-secret information) Chelsea Manning’s court-martial was set to begin. None of the documents at issue in that prosecution was “top secret,” unlike the documents found on Hillary Clinton’s server. Nonetheless, the then-secretary of state convened a press conference to denounce Manning and defend the prosecution...

“I think that in an age where so much information is flying through cyberspace, we all have to be aware of the fact that some information which is sensitive, which does affect the security of individuals and relationships, deserves to be protected and we will continue to take necessary steps to do so,” - Hillary Clinton, December 2011.

You know this one will be in a commercial.

6. texas_ex2000

Crockett, yes that is correct.

The reason is that collection officers, diplomats, senior national security officials, analysts write reports/correspondence/assessments all the time based on raw information. A Marine Staff Sergeant with a CI battalion might have been speaking to a local port official about the defensive systems in the channel. That report he writes about that conversation obviously concerns national security...it affects the saftey of our ships, the security of the port, and the general uneasiness level in the area against terrorist, and perhaps most sensitive...the identity of his source. If the SSgt just wrote this to me over an unsecured system, he would be in big trouble. As the "originator" it's his job, an E-5, to properly classify that information and disseminate it approproately.

For national security officials the benchmark should be even higher. If Hillary wrote an e-mail to her Chief of Staff about a casual conversation with Netanyahu about future missile defense agreements, Pollard, or anything else...SHE should have classified it.

How do you classify an e-mail? Before you send it over the appropriate network, you simply click an icon for the classification level. It's that simple and it doesn't require an executive order or a FISA court order.

• Like Like x 6
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

There has to be some consideration given here. Like Berger's actions at the time being labeled "sloppy" with highly classified documents in his socks, HRC's server was just sloppy.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  8. texas_ex2000

Colin Powell was just on Meet the Press. Great interview as usual. He's reliably moderately right of center. A Powell/McRaven ticket would be nice in a dream world.

1) Said the Iran deal was good because they don't get anything unless we have verification and we could always backtrack if we wanted to. I disagree. The standards of verification, as in they self-verify, are a joke.

2) Said while the Black Lives Matter movement brings good attention to an important issue and he doesn't mind the slogan, that the far bigger issues are stopping violence...particularly black on black violence. He said we needs to focus not on gun control, but on improving communities, schools, and most importantly families. I agree.

3) Said that parts of the GOP practice a level of intolerance not good for the party and the country. I agree.

4) After a reel of GOP candidates saying they would not have gone into Iraq because the intelligence was faulty. He said, of course knowing what we know now, but when he gave that speech all the lettered agencies said the intelligence was correct and all the members of Congress also voted for action based on what was told to them to be accurate intelligence. He also said he asked Bush to take it to the UN in order to give Hussein an out, and Bush agreed. I agree with his explanation.

5) Now the important part as it relates to this thread. He was asked about his usage of e-mail while at State. He said he has a whole chapter on this in his new book. He said that the IT systems when he got there were a mess, and he revamped the entire department into the 21st century. He then confirmed he had two systems...an unclassified system for department house keeping and a classified system for national security work. Duh. On another thread I posted (see below) specifically on what e-mail systems State Department employees would have and that Hillary's excuse that other Secretaries did the same thing was deceiving. I smelled her lie out like those ND linebackers on a Watson screen pass.

The thing is, her excuse "other SoS have used personal e-mail in the same manner," while defying logic and now personally contested by Powell, is legitimately accepted by a lot people.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Black Lives Matter protested the Twin Cities Marathon to "end white supremacy"
    http://www.twincities.com/localnews...ves-matter-plans-disrupt-twin-cities-marathon

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1