Why is "The Bern" Clinton's New Lap Dog?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Bernie Sanders alleged for months that the system was rigged and that the fix was in. The recently leaked DNC emails proved that he was right. The DNC wasn't about to let him win. The playing field wasn't level.

But now, when you'd think he'd be spouting righteous anger, he's forgiven and forgotten all that. Now he is the Clinton's biggest supporter. He has totally abandoned his people, who haven't given up "The Revolution" and told them to get on the Clinton bandwagon.

Granted politics makes for strange bedfellows, but I'm a skeptic. This seems like too much of an about face. What is The Bern getting out of this? Somebody check to see if the Clinton Foundation made a large deposit to The Bern's Swiss Bank Account!

2. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

If Bernie compromises his positions and plays ball, he receives campaign funds and gets to chair or be on important Senate committees if Clinton wins. If he doesn't get on board with Clinton or if she loses, those things go out the window.

To these people, principles are a distant second to power and prestige.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Works well for Trump. For disgruntled Bernie (anti-corruption) supporters, Trump is the last person standing who's railing on gov and media corruption.

His opponent is the poster child for both and used it to sabotage them.

Now DNCLeaks is showing firsthand how they were screwed over by the system, bullied, and mocked by their own party.

Hardly a day goes by now without Trump mentioning Bernie supporters got the shaft.

For a group who were so aggressively committed to this election, many will not go down without a fight and just shut down their role in the outcome.

Before the leaks I thought many would stay home and some would fall in line. Now it's very likely a good portion will vote against Hillary instead of just not voting at all.

4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

My guess is a spot on the Clinton Foundation speakers list. I think wiki leaks is about to expose this sham as something worthy of "American Greed."

5. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I suspect that Clinton offered Sanders the types of things you are suggesting, but that he turned them down. He's been in public office for 35 years and has a well-earned reputation for basing his actions on principle, not expediency or personal gain.

Instead, it looks like Bernie held out for things that actually further his agenda. This article outlines how Sanders got Clinton to move significantly to the left in exchange for Sanders' support.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think there is a very real chance that Trump wins, but I doubt it will be by virtue of crossover support from Bernie Sanders supporters.

Through my son, I have access to a small sampling of die-hard Sanders supporters. I have asked about 20 or 30 of them whether they will vote for Clinton, Trump, Johnson, or nobody. The answer has been 100% Clinton. In most cases, the answer has been preceded by an "are you kidding me?" look.

Perhaps this is a generational thing. Yes, one of the main issues for Sanders's supporters is corruption. But an even bigger issue is what the right calls political correctness, and what the left calls common decency. You simply can't get support from today's youth if you mock handicapped reporters, call Mexicans criminals and rapists, degrade women, hurl derogatory epithets at anyone who doesn't agree with you, actively support anti-Muslim policies, etc.

Perhaps Trump can get some traction in the older sectors of Sanders's supporters. I don't know many people in this demographic, so I don't really have a feel for it.

7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

The liberals always fall in line when push comes to shove.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

+1 Those are showstoppers for millenials who have grown up in multi-cultural environments.

Sanders' push of HRC to the left on college tuition (free tuition for families making <$125k) and breaking up the big banks (reinstatement of modern Glass-Steagall) were not insignificant wins. Of course, those are platform positions. I honestly doubt HRC has any intention of instituting tuition changes.

As for the media corruption that both Trump and Sanders trumpet neither has put forth a realistic proposal. Trump wants to expand libel law protection (e.g. LIMIT free speech) and Sanders uses them only as a boogeyman.

9. Seattle Husker

That's not just a democrat problem: Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Ben Carson, etc.

Kasich is the only one that hasn't bent over for the party nominee or grandstanded for personal ambitions (Cruz).

10. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

90+ percent of liberals will support Clinton despite her obvious shortcomings. 90+ percent of conservatives will support Trump despite his obvious shortcomings. Neither is doing anything wrong -- they are simply choosing the candidate that comes closest to matching their ideal.

The rest of us will be forced to plug our noses and chose which of these two unfit nominees will be the next president.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

The difference is one candidate won fair and the other that's corrupt won by it being rigged. Pretty big difference. So accepted defeat is the classy thing to do. But Bernie should stand up against something that is not the American way. Our voting process is suppose to be the best. Saddam won one election by 100% of the votes. But cheating is cheating.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. Seattle Husker

I'd argue that one upstart candidate overcame the establishment gamesmanship while the other didn't. That's the difference. I'm not defending the DNC. It was apparent from the beginning that Wasserman-Shultz was in the bag for HRC. The email link simply confirmed it.

Were a similar leak to occur for the RNC do you think they'd speak glowingly of Trump? I'd put money that you'd find collusion between establishment party favorites and the RNC. Trump accused them as much during the primary.

13. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

My little control group of die-hard Bernie supporters (and they are the stereotypical pot smoking, no real job types, so take this for what it's worth) HATE Hillary Clinton, are super angry/disappointed in the entire system and are not going to vote.
    So there will be the "stay at homers". I just don't know how many, but these young people are very disillusioned, and wouldn't cast a vote for HC with a gun to their head.

14. Phil Elliott

The difference here is that the Bernie supporters were just as fed-up with the Dem establishment they see embodied in HRC, yet they will fall in line and vote Dem and totally fold on their belief she is what is wrong with their party.

The top 3-4 vote-getters on the GOP side were *all* anti-establishment, to one degree or another, so it's not nearly as big a stretch for me, a former Cruz supporter, for example, to support Trump.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have been raising this issue for awhile now on other threads
    Bernie got something
    My argument is that the American people have a right to know what that something was
    Unfortunately, we are in a position of having to hope the Dems reduced the bargain to an email exchange so that someone (anyone) might hack and later show us
    This is the only way we ever know what the people in our government are really doing

16. Seattle Husker

Young people are disillusioned. My 2 High School age sons both tell me that voting is useless referring to the power of the Electoral College having the real power. The party nomination process that includes caucuses, super delegates and other quirky rules to ensure establishment control further reinforces this feeling that their eventual vote won't matter. With that said, any candidate that is reliant on youth vote does so at their own peril. Traditionally they never show up to vote when compared to other age demographics.

17. Phil Elliott

This is because public education does not teach what the purpose of the Electoral College is any more. I had to explain it to my high-schoolers as well.

18. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Crazy prediction: the disgruntled on either side due to personal dislike of the candidates will be somewhat comparable in the long run and will cancel out. Thus leaving a typical dem vs rep election, except the incumbent party has a little disadvantage in times of disgruntlement

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's amazing the Bern can still find the time to blame everything on rich folk
    He has 3 houses to look after
    Plus his wife is being investigated by the FBI for defrauding her college

[​IMG]

20. Seattle Husker

3 houses...the most recent of which was purchased with funds from an inherited house on his wife's side. In 2014 Bernie and his wife made a combined $205k.

His other 2 properties, a rental in Burlington, VT and a condo in D.C.:
    Bernie is clearly living extravagantly for a 74yr old man.