’09 NFL Draft (Day 1) does not sit well with me...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by orngblud, Apr 25, 2009.

1. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

1. Only ONE Longhorn drafted.
    1a. Only Longhorn drafted went with the lucky 13th pick to the f’n Redskins. [​IMG]
    2. Two DE’s selected before Orakpo….really?...[​IMG]
    3. Had to listen to Marshall Faulk talk about how the Bengals should look at taking a RB in round 1 because they have no one they can count on back there….. [​IMG]
    4. Denver spent its first rounder on RB Knowshon Moreno…bodes ill for Selvin Young??…
    5. Denver spent its 2nd rounder on DE Robert Ayers…bodes ill for Tim Crowder??…
    6. Pitt spent its first rounder on DT Evander Hood……in a 3-4….meaning “room for only 1 DT”….I hope Casey rips him a new one…
    7. Oakland used their 2nd rounder on S Michael Mitchell…bodes ill for Michael Huff??
    8. Seattle used their 1st rounder on SLB Aaron Curry…bodes ill for D.D. Lewis??…and don’t forget: he was a Holmgren favorite…and now Holgren’s gone…
    9. The ‘Boys show up just to trade away their only day one pick (almost letting time expire and passing on the pick) for a 3 & a 4…woo-hoo… [​IMG]

I need a drink.....

2. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

3. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

4. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Guest

I don't think Crowder and DD Lewis are still in the league.

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

This wasn't supposed to be a strong draft year for us.

Next year won't be much better, but we should have guys drafted out of this lot:
    Definite: McCoy, Kindle
    Likely: Ulatoski, Hall, Muckelroy
    Outside shot: Tanner, Norton, Shipley, maybe Chykie if he goes early.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I left Houston off of the "outside shot" because of his "hybrid," or tweener status. He's not going to spin back to DE in the pros because of height and speed. And he's too small to play DT.

7. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

Could easily be a 3-4 DE - and they seem to be in demand

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure "easily" would be a good adverb to describe Houston's transition if he were to be chosen as a 3-4 DE. And his role at Texas isn't really preparing him for the stuff he would face in that position.

He'd have a better shot at the pros if he could manage to put another 10 pounds of muscle and play a tackle position in the 4-3. He might be a backup, but at least he'd be there.