#1 seed?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Longhorn01, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

Is it possible if we win out? If we lose one game? It's a long shot, but my expectations for this team keep going up.

Keep in mind if we win out that should be another victory of KU. Plus A&M and Mizzou. So what are the chances that we could play ourselves in a #1 seed?

2. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

If we win out (I'm not betting on it), we're clearly a #1 seed. I think more important is what do we have to do to be no worst than a #2 seed in the Southwest Region (San Antonio). I like our chances of making something special happen if we get the Tulsa --> San Antonio --> Houston path.

As far as #1 seeds, I think the Big East will get at least one and maybe 2. Duke has the advantage of playing in the subpar ACC (how often do you hear that?) and doesn't have a ranked team on his schedule from here on out. Ohio State will clearly earn a #1 seed if they can make it thru their 5-game gauntlet (@ Minn, @ Wisc, MSU, @ Pur, Illini) that starts Super Bowl Sunday. BYU would have to run the table (including a rematch @ SDSU), but still might not get the #1 seed because they're not in a "power conference".

Bottom line: if we win the Conference regular season w/no more than 2 Conf losses, and make it to the Big12 tourney finals . . . I think we get a #1 seed. But again, I'd rather be a 2 in the Southwest than a #1 anywhere else.

3. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

You're assuming we're gonna play KU again in the tournament?

4. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

5. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Definitely within reach. Difficult, but possible.

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Who woulda thunk it?

7. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

don't wanna thread **** and would agree that if we win ouit we would be a #1, BUT, lets just beat Mizzou first. we can take it from there step by step after that.

8. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

9. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

+1

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

10. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

how do you know i'm not on the team. in fact, maybe i'm balbay. yeah, that's it. that's who i am.

11. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

12. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I was holding judgment on this until I saw how we did at OSU....after that beat down, I'm beginning to believe. I thought if we were going to get ambushed, it would be there.

I think we hold serve at home. I'll believe we beat A&M in CS when I see it happen. I also think we get ambushed by one of either NU or CU (on the road). Seed-wise, I don't know where that puts us.

Barnes-coached teams just don't seem to give a damn about the B12 tourney. I doubt we make much noise there.

13. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

14. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

Horns can probably lose another game and still get a #1 seed provided they beat KU in the Tourney.

If KU beats Texas - even if we don't lose any other game - then it's hard to make any argument for Texas over KU at that point if KU hasn't lost more than 1 other game. They'd have 2 losses and avenged one of them. We'd have 4 losses including the ugly USC loss.

But if Texas beats KU, even if we lose another game, then it means we win both the B12 Regular Season and Tourney. It would be hard to give KU the #1 seed over us in that scenario.

With UConn and Villanova losing today, its getting harder to justify 2 Big East seeds unless the other conferences start losing lots of games. SDSU losing eliminated them, and BYU losing today eliminates them. I'd imagine right now you have as the 4 #1 seeds:

Ohio State
    Duke
    Big East Champ
    Big 12 Champ

15. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Texas will need to win out or lose just one game, I don't see KU losing another game so Texas almost has to win out which will be very difficult. Going to impossible to win out if Texas shoots free throws like they did against Missouri, 36 percent. [​IMG]

16. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Don't agree at all. Texas won easily doing that and will shoot better in future games. Texas looks like a lock for a #2 seed and could arleady be a #1 seed in the eyes of many.