10 of 11 UT offensive starters are returning

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Jan 10, 2023.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hear what you are saying, Poms, but at some point, the QB has to stand-up, put the team on his back, and win the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

I have said that the GG comparison was the most correct. Hopefully he will come around.

3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Please please be safe on 6th......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2003TexasGrad

When the star receiver drops multiple balls that kill drives Quinn can't control that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It is a two way street. it is synergy.
    But Worthy's job is a bit easier. He needs to catch those balls that high school kids could catch.
    And I am saying that QE is getting better. He now has a year under his belt.
    Worthy is not getting better, in fact, he played better the season before. I will be happy if he gets beat out of his position by another receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

People forget how rough Sam was his freshman year. And he didn't skip his senior year of HS.

While QE will never be the runner that Sam was, he's already a few miles ahead in terms of passing. His worst games dragged his passer rating down, and it was still better than Ehlinger's from 2017.

I guess the question is whether Ewers has the work ethic and capabilities to improve like Sam did. People see guys like Stroud go wild as freshmen and think that's where every top recruit is supposed to be, but the rarity of that is what makes Stroud a top-5 pick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Here is what I’d say to that. From memory, Worthy had 1 drive with multiple drops. His other critical drops this season seem to be an attempt to turn it up before caught. Incidentally, I saw that in the NFL playoffs this past weekend too. So I’d say one drop would not kill a drive. Obviously, you could make that argument if it occurred on 3rd down, but you could state that going on 4th is always an option.

Except that 4th down throw from QE in the bowl game. Did Worthy kill that drive too?

8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I remember freshman Sam and how frustrating it could be. (That OSU game still hurts. Seems like Gundy always gets that one gifted to him and Sam obliged him in that game)
    I’d still take FR Sam over Ewers at this point.
    Maybe it was just the running facet to his game. And his passion. No matter how poorly he was playing you knew he was always able and willing to take off and truck linebackers in the process.
    Ewers has looked like a zombie most of the season.
    I’d also argue that Ewers worst games should and absolutely do count.
    FR Sam was never as hopeless as Ewers was against OSU and TCU. That was ugly.
    Sam would be one dimensional on a bad day but Ewers was zero dimensional.

I am also tired of hearing the “ he only played one year of HS” excuse. Yeah he is raw as a result. but Whose fault is that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

I understand and agree for the most part. QB is harder than WR generally speaking, but the further you get down the field the more difficult catching becomes. I’d agree that Worthy had more success and fewer failures as a frosh.

I would suggest caution regarding Ewers. I do think statistically he will have a great year. The bowl allowed for a month of work in order to play well. You don’t get that any other time during the season so he’s yet to show that he can turn it around in a weeks time. Yes, he was better in the bowl. Yes, Worthy missed some critical catches, but I’ve mentioned elsewhere on this site that QE missed three critical throws that would have added 11 points and kept one drive alive. It happens, but you hope misreads turn into completions that sustain drives. His two misfires were poor throws. Speaking as a dude who threw passes in high school during the 3 yards and dust era, those are ones you can’t miss.

And I will say the worst play all year was the miss to Bijan versus TCU. That was somewhat counter to my statement above, but that was a gimme for the QB.

But, yes, those dudes must get on the same page. Worthy’s short area quickness/change of direction is not common and perfect for Sarks desires. QE offers some uncommon attributes too. That won’t matter for the big picture unless they get it together.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 2003TexasGrad

Worthys first drop on the drive in question would have had Texas in scoring position. The very next drop could have been a TD if he catches it and outruns the defender. I dont remember the third drop but those other two killed our drive late in the game when we still had a chance.

Quinn definitely had a few games where he just sucked *** on his own. He has his own work to do this spring and summer.

11. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Yes, that’s the drive killed. I don’t remember the other drop as to down and distance. It was similar to his Tech drop in that he was running before securing the ball. There’s a good chance that was a TD versus Tech.

I don’t remember him killing any drives he killed in any other games. It was more him not providing a solution. TCU - Sanders dropped the 3rd down. Tech - we got another first or two and kicked a FG. OSU - lost his balance so I don’t count that as a drop.

It was more that he had chances to provide solutions but didn’t. Certainly he provided fewer solutions than all of us anticipated preseason.

I don’t fault Sark for going to him, but it was the manner in which that happened. But QE was part of that equation too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1