100 days, til kickoff!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CoachMc, May 23, 2018.

1. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

#32 Cedric Benson

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^^ Great photo - made me wonder... do you think not beating UT often got in the head of NU players during the MB era? Mack was what 8-1 versus Nebraska?

Fall camp starts this Friday ya'll !!! :fiestanana:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You really think they left because of partial qualifiers? :hookem:

4. WorsterMan

Perhaps partly, but I believe most think they left due to domination on the field by UT and being second fiddle in the Big XII office....

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was what the partial qualifiers represented to Nebraska. They bought in to the Deloss Dodds Conference because they grossly overestimated their importance. They saw an opportunity to establish a major recruiting home in Texas by playing in the state at least twice a year. Plus they thought they had the stroke to dominate the politics of the conference and have the offices located in Kansas City. Instead, they found themselves behind Texas, OU, Missouri, oSu, Tech, and A&M politically. The Texas/Missouri tandem that forced Nebraska to accept stiffer academic requirements was just the tip of the iceberg, which included go along or get out, end steroid abuse, major cuts in the "community scholarship" program.

I shall never ever forget a conversation I was privileged to witness that included Deloss and an ABC executive, where this comment was made, "Nebraska brings nothing to the table. There are more televisions in Harris County than in the entire state of Nebraska, not to mention the TVs in Houston are tuned in to college football; the TVs in Nebraska belong to people attending the games in Lincoln."

Still, I miss their fans and the way we were treated in Lincoln. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  6. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Yeaahhh, I don't think the last trip to Lincoln was nearly as classy as the first. After we started dominating, they morphed from classy to corn aggy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Corn aggy may be a little harsh, but their butt-hurtedness definitely began to show.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Wasn't Boren pushing the academic button on NU also? Deloss did it on principle, Mizzou did it out of bitterness.

:cowrose:

9. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

More #32's....

Lance Taylor
    [​IMG]

Eddie Jones
    [​IMG]

Johnathan Gray
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dr Boren is great and basically supported whatever Deloss wanted.

With no Chancellor and NO president at Texas, Dr Boren will be hugely missed. Without him, the Big XII with Bowelsby in charge can easily morph into the Big Sky Central.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The injury to Lance Taylor remains one of the most significant in Texas football history. I pin both the A&M loss and the bowl loss squarely on that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. everette

everette 250+ Posts

In that bowl loss, didn't Earl play injured?

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, Earl was in his second year in the NFL.

14. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

#31 Pat Culpepper......
    [​IMG]
    with the late Johnny Treadwell disappointing the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Again.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure why Johnny Treadwell is so overlooked in the pantheon of greats who wore #60. Maybe because he wore it immediately prior to Nobis.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

#31 Kiki DeAyala

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. WorsterMan

Believe Kiki still holds the UT record for the most sacks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

During my years on the 40, we had a monster defense. The names called on almost every defensive play, usually together, Leiding and DeAyalla.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

More #31's....

Aaron Ross
    [​IMG]

Cody Johnson
    [​IMG]

Jason Hall
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. WorsterMan

People, do you realize we are almost 30 days from kickoff vs. Mary Land !!!

:yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Firewall won't let me photos anymore on HF, maybe one of you kind gents will post photo of #30 FB Steve Worster for me on Thursday....

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anyone got a photo of Woo in his Mustang passing on the lefthand shoulder on 1960 returning to Austin? Or one of Cotton taking the keys away from him?

For you youngsters, no, he was neither drunk nor using drugs. He drove the way he ran a football - with wild abandon.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  22. everette

everette 250+ Posts

I meant the Cotton bowl following the '77 season. Lance Taylor missed the bowl and I think Earl played injured.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was referring to the 79 season, when we were headed to the Sugar Bowl and got derailed. I've always believed that in Lance plays, we beat A&M.

24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I had to take a bus to the first game we played in Lincoln after Dr Tom left. Of course Texas won, the game where Major had a head injury and refused to leave the game but sat on the side. Ricky was amazing. The fans did give him a standing ovation.
    On the way back to car the Husker fans seemed stunned BUT remember they had 60 years of winning and were still ultra polite to us.Congratulating us and wishing us well rest of season.

I remarked to the person with me that they Husker fans had no idea what was headed their way. It got even worse than I envisoned.
    I think it is semi sad. That is all they had.

25. everette

everette 250+ Posts

gotcha (not Yarborough)

26. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

As we are well aware, there are few things more pitiful than a dynasty in decline.

:hookem2:

27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

31.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  28. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

[​IMG]
    Bridge City’s Steve Worster and.....
    You think Randy Kinder thinks about this from time to time?

• Like Like x 5
  29. WorsterMan

Day 30!!!: FB Steve Worster # 30...

30. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3