#11 Kansas at Texas

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Joe Fan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

doesn't look like @DrewdotCash is in the lineup.

3. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

So far Bamba has 6 of our 8 points

4. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

bad intel.

Horns look pretty good first half

• Like Like x 1
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Wow we got away with clear goaltending there.

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm really liking this FT shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Argh. We are out playing them in most facets of the game, but they keep nailing contested 3s, while our open ones are bouncing out - a couple after being halfway down, too.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Higgins angrily following Shaka halfway across the court back to the Texas huddle. That is some serious BS conduct for an official. Are we playing Okie State in football?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That ref looked ready to kick Shaka's butt
    Followed him all the way back
    And he looks like he could have too
    Makes you wonder what exactly got said

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We cannot shoot with these guys
    Was a mistake to play the game like we thought we could

11. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Fairly good showing. I didn’t expect to best this KU squad tonight but I see we’re improving in crucial areas. Big production from our core guys leaves me feeling ok with this outcome.

• Like Like x 1
  12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, watching the game I was thinking it's hard to overcome the daggers to the heart that was their 3-point shooting. Everytime we showed a chance of coming back, they's answer our 2 w/ a 3.

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I'm ok with this loss. I think KU is the best team in the B12. There is no way our team, or most any team, could beat KU when they are shooting 3's lights out (17 made, damn!).

Our guys played about as well as they could. Losing to KU when they have a record night from three point land (11 in the 2nd half is a KU team record) is nothing to be ashamed of.

If we get a healthy pre injury Jones back, and he's able to shoot as well as he was then I think we will be ok.

Nothing will come easy, they'll have to play hard as heck every game. B12 is one tough conference this year.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our shooting picked up a little late, but it was too late by then. Funny thing is neither team really impressed me much running any semblance of an intelligent basketball offense. It was more of "we are athletic and talented therefore we can score a lot while just haphazardly standing around and looking like it's a pickup game at the local gym". Glad to see Bamba mostly win his individual matchup with Azubuike, after hearing too much of "We'll see, now he finally has to face a guy bigger than he is" the last couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A good effort. Kansas is good (probably not as good as some of their past teams) but beatable. A big factor is Kansas seems to be able to hold people. Here is the difference:

Kansas starting 5 - 2 seniors; 1 junior; 1 soph.; 1 freshmen
    Texas Stating 5 - 0 seniors; 2 juniors; 1 soph.; 2 freshmen

16. HornsfortheWin

HornsfortheWin < 25 Posts

and one of their Seniors is Graham, those guards will carry that team at crucial times this season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horns strength of schedule, and # of good wins just got better. Butler just beat #1 Nova. Butler, who we beat by 13 on a neutral court, is now 11-3 and looking good. If we continue to play the way we did against Bama and KU we will win our share.
    I'm suddenly optimistic.

18. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I noticed Butler upset Villanova today.
    And Alabama upset Texas AM today.
    2 Team's Texas beat, that's good.
    Texas just need to get 500 and above in the Conference, and they will make the Dance.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

We hire a top coach and we are happy with a 500 conference record? Time to improve. 750 or find a new coach!

20. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

May be a tall order. I watched OU and TCU. TCU has 4 starters back from last year, we get one and doners and start over every year, we are not Kentucky. Young is a KD type one and doner at OU. WV has Carter back for his 6th year of eligibility, he was POY in the Big 12 last year. TTU looks very good and beat Baylor by 20. OSU was picked last in pre season and looks very impressive. Our last two games were good. I have seen Kansas play 4 times this year and never seen them get close to what I saw against us, our BEST game this year.

I don't see .500 in conference.

21. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not that I'm always happy with a .500 conference record. But for this year, with our team, and the strength of the B12 very high; then yes a .500 record in conference would be acceptable to me.

Coleman is better than any point guard we had last year. And Bamba adds defense and offense around the hoop better than anything we had last year. And O is tougher and more skilled than any big we had last year.

But our shooters have not improved, except possibly Jones. And he's trying to recover from a broken wrist. Shooters have to be recruited and Shaka seems to recruit athleticism and defense first. This is my biggest criticism of Shaka. He hasn't put the big recruiting push on shooters. And that's why, imo, we are going to struggle this year to get over .500. We are the worst shooting team in the league. Its not easy to overcome that.

If Jones can get totally well, then we could do better than .500, maybe a lot better.

• Like Like x 1
  22. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

If you are going to recruit athletes who cannot shoot you have to press all over the court. Where is it? I want Shaka to succeed but how many years do we wait for at lest 600 in conference?

23. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I get it Mike. Like I said above, Shaka has not pushed the recruitment of shooters; and in this league that is a big mistake. The athletic guard/forward who can defend the whole court is great in pressing defense, but not so great if we have trouble scoring in the half court offense. And that's a Problem. I hope Shaka succeeds, but if Jones doesn't get well and return to his pre injury form, this team and Shaka might be in trouble.

TCU has really upgraded their Coaching--I think Dixon may be the best in game coach in the league; ttu is tough; KU is always tough; wvu is tough; bu is tough; isu is tough; ksu tough; ou tough; osu tough; UT is tough. Everybody is really tough in this league.

I'm somehow optimistic after the KU game. We will be ok if we can repeat that level of play throughout the season.

• Like Like x 1