#11 seed vs #6 Cincy

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by NBHorn7, Mar 11, 2012.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

We were in and it wasn't even close. East regional in Nashville on Friday. [​IMG]

2. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Whew. There was a time last week where I thought we'd be left out and Tennessee would barely make it in. An unbearable situation for one living in Knoxville.

I think I'm going to drive down to the game. Who else is in???

3. BV Horn

BV Horn 100+ Posts

Just by coincidence, I already had my flight booked to Nashville on Friday, but I don't land until just after noon. Any idea when they'll announce the game times?

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] 14 straight seasons, I am old enough to remember when Texas first made the tourny under Penders with BMW and how amazing it felt that the Horns were going dancing what an amazing run the horns have been on and continue thankfully to be on.

5. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

[​IMG] Congrats Horns. Having said that, it's going to be a very tough game against Cincy. I will be surprised if we get by Cincy.

6. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

7. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

8. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I think Cincy improved significantly during the season and it will be a tough game. I think they won like 9 of their last 12 and got to the finals of the Big East tournament before losing by 6 to Louisville in the championship game.

9. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

For all the talk about an NIT bid being better because the Horns might go deeper and get more practice.

No.

Playing, and even losing, to a traditional power like Cincinnati IMHO will be better than beating SouthWestNorthernEastTechA&M at Gainesvile and then beating Northern Dakota Typewriting School.

Hook 'em

10. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Sure was an ugly Big East Championship game with the Ville winning 50-44.

Cincy missed 11 of their first 12 shots.

Oh and for the record blonthang, both those schools have been much tougher to beat in recent years since their name changes.

SWNE TechA&M is now "Compass State University" while NDTS has upgraded to "North Dakota Word Processing Institute of Technology. [​IMG]

11. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

We should be able to handle Cincy, Florida St. and Ohio State without much trouble, but I'm really concerned about Syracuse in the elite eight.

12. Bigtex112

Bigtex112 500+ Posts

13. Dewbrewer

Dewbrewer 500+ Posts

BV...looks like the game will be at 11:15 CDT on Friday. This is according to Roger Wallace on KXAN. [​IMG]

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Texas matches up well with Cinn. They don't have a real size edge and their stat line is mediocre.

If Texas can shoot the ball well and get to 75 then I think we win.

15. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

16. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Not make it, then do a deep run? You have to explain that logic to me...... [​IMG]

17. elface

elface 250+ Posts

18. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I understand the logic; don't bust a gut every year at the expense of really building a good every other year or so.

Maybe that's exactly what Rick did this year ---- building a very young team, looking to next year.

Maybe this year's building team is just a little better, a little ahead of schedule, and the field of 68 isn't all that great either, and VOILA!!, the Horns are in the Big Dance anyway.

I doubt Barnes expected this year's version to go far --- BUT they played pretty well in spurts and pretty goofy in others (typical of young kids). With a little luck and good play they went 20-13 with a good RPI and slipped into the toinamint.

What's wrong with that?

It'll be good experience for the next year. Don't throw it away just because next two years are supposed to be the years you build to.

Accept it, enjoy it, USE it.

19. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

I really like the matchup with Cinci. I make Texas the slight favorite. Wish we had Wangmene.

FSU looks scarier- but we have a puncher's chance of beating them, too.

Very good draw.

20. majorwhiteapples

If you want Barnes fired, then come out and say it!!!!

Who are you going to get to replace him? Not a whole lot of names that would leave their place and take the Texas Job. Barnes has raised the bar and the expectation is making the tournament. Not too many teams can say that have done that what 12 or 13 years in a row. Not too many coaches have done that either.

I personally think he has raised it hire than just making the tournament, I think for it to be a successful season, a sweet sixteen spot is what is needed. How many times has he done that?

21. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Few coaches without World Wide Wes recruiting for them can lose all 5 starters and make the NCAA tournament. Could be worse. Just ask aggy.

22. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"I would rather not make it some time, and then actually make a deep run. "

Classic Horn fan logic.

Success through failure.

23. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Gottlieb says this year may be Barnes' best coaching year. Maybe

It is UNEQUIVICABLY better to make tourney than NOT. Experience is everything. Not to mention prestige. Go Horns!!!

Hook'em!!!! [​IMG]

24. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

25. utdoc96

utdoc96 < 25 Posts

Vegas Odds Cinci -2
    Money makers say close game. Go Horns!

(By the way..... Barnes is/has been a great coach)

26. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Texas players shows great fight by doing what was needed at end of season to make the tournament. They could have settled for NIT but they did not. If they can carry that spirit over to the tournament then they can get to 2nd or 3rd round.

27. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

28. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

29. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

30. majorwhiteapples

The Standard in Football is a BCS game.

The Standard in Baseball is the College World Series.

The Standard in Basketball, I would put it at the Sweet Sixteen.

Since 1995 we have gone to 7 BCS bowls and 15 Bowls.

Since 1995 we have gone to 7 College World Series and 16 tournaments?

Since 1995 we have gone to 7 Sweet Sixteens and 14 NCAA Tournaments?

I will take that and let someone do the research for the previous 16 years.