13 year old commits to Tn football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by BurntOrangeOnly, Jun 30, 2009.

1. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

Thirteen? Is Kiffin that hard up? I realize it's just a verbal commitment, no LOI or anything but good grief the kid isn't even in high school yet.

Does anyone else here think he's a bit too young to be recruited?

13 yo commits to Tennessee

2. horns58

horns58 100+ Posts

I think that is definitely too young. Isn't there some rule about how early colleges can offer scholarships? If not, there should be.

But then again, this is not the first time something like this has happened. Chris Leak committed to Wake Forest as a freshman in high school. His older brother CJ Leak was playing for Wake Forest at the time before transferring to Tennessee. Obviously, Leak didn't stick with that pledge and ended up at Florida.

3. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

Good God, people. Evan Berry is Eric Berry's younger brother. And their father James was a team captain in the 70s. Of course he has "verbally" committed to Tennessee, just like I did when I was that age. He has not been actually been offered a scholarship.

4. SchertzHorn

SchertzHorn 100+ Posts

If your dad and older brother played for the horns, and at 13 you were seen as a "talented" player and someone asked where you were going, you would say "I want to play at Texas." Now that recruiting has become what it is, and ESPN has to cover sports 24 hours a day, this becomes a 13 year old commitment to Tennessee.
    Not a real big story in my opinion.

5. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

6. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Kiffin likes him some publicity.

7. horns58

horns58 100+ Posts

I thought the article previously said that he was offered a scholarship, but then it was changed. If he wasn't offered a scholarship, then who cares? Non-story.

8. naphan

naphan 250+ Posts

In reply to:

9. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Well if he was offered a scholarship then this is just ******* ridiculous, and Kiffin deserves yet another massive public beating.

10. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

11. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

**BREAKING NEWS**

My 10 yr old son & 3 yr old daughter have just announced they've verbally commited to 'The University of Texas' [​IMG]

12. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

it seems like kiffin is the headmaster of the 3 ring circus. i will be interested to see how it goes when they start playing.

13. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

We're talking football only right b/c UT recruited Nic Wise (point guard at Arizona) when he was a freshman at Hightower. So are we against this because it easier to project a basketball player at any earlier age?

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I have verbally committed that Kiffin seems like a dumbass douchebag. I think Tennessee deserves this guy and not much more than him. Perfect fit.

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You guys are such hyporcites.....I know damned well if Texas had a commitment like this someone would post a video and others would post comments like: Wow he's a beast or He's a man child....look at the size of those legs for such a young man......

Of course there would be plenty of [​IMG] posted on every reply with Welcome to the 40 acres.

16. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

Vol Horn you may be right about some or perhaps many here. Personally, I think recruiting a kid who just hit puberty is a little excessive. It was mentioned earlier that "we" did the same thing (or nearly so) for a basketball scholarship. IMO, that's not right either.

To each his own I guess.

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

You, guy, are wrong because this guy would not.