Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Bevo5, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

So...just finished reading this book. Yeah, I was the last person on the planet to decide to read it apparently.

Anyway...one question is annoying the hell out of me and I'm hoping someone can answer it.

Why did they wait so long to arrest Smith? I dont get it. If they'll drag you in just because of something a kid says, why did they take their time with bringin smith in? Seems they went through a lot of set-up to string him along when they could have just nabbed him early on for simply buying the diary or something stupid.

Maybe they wanted to wait for him to implicate others, in which case his little time spent with Juila would've sufficed right? But again they wait months until they move in.

Anybody have an answer?

2. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

3. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Theyll split your pretty cranium, and fill it full of air
    And tell that youre eighty, but brother, you wont care
    Youll be shooting up on anything, tomorrows never there
    Beware the savage jaw
    Of 1984

4. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

If I remember correctly, O'Brien said he was fascinated by Smith's mind; perhaps he wanted to observe Smith's actions and beliefs for a longer period of time.

5. HistoryHorn

HistoryHorn 25+ Posts

I agree with Goose. Since the state had himunder watch the whole time it's not like he's a threat. I think also they want the rebels to build up belief that the system can be overthrown before crushing them. The higher you go the further you fall sort of deal.

6. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

I still love the fact that The Wall was released in 1984. Of course, post-GWB, everything about that book is less funny.