1986 Championship Game on LHN

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Jun 21, 2020.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Tuesday night at 7:00.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  3. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Really enjoyed watching the '86 championship game. Don't believe I've ever seen it before. I started attending games a year or two after this win. Awesome to see such great focus and execution in a game plan from a Texas team and looking forward to witnessing the same in the near future.

I thought someone had asked about the female commentator of this game, but I could not locate the thread, but I seem to remember she was already identified in that thread, as Mimi Griffin. I remember her calling a ton of games as I became more involved as a fan. Anyway, Jody mentioned Mimi and their connections in the interview listed above by Tempest, and I happened to see that Mimi was interviewed by Bob Rathbun for this podcast a few episodes prior. The Texas/Jody connection came up in Mimi's interview as well. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in Mimi's history with the game.

Episode 21 - ft. Mimi Griffin - A Trophy Life: The Naismith Trophy Podcast

• Like Like x 1
  4. cactus47

cactus47 25+ Posts

When I re-watched this game, I was so impressed with how talented, well-coached and deep the team was. And I remember only too well how nauseated I felt as I sat in Rupp Arena the second half, despite our strong lead, knowing that at any moment it could all come crashing down. May have been only unfounded gossip, but word was that Cara played so well because she was mad due to her boyfriend/fiance having just broken up with her. Whatever it takes....

• Like Like x 1
  5. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I recall hearing Jody, I believe, relay the story of Cara’s breakup breakout game. Brings a smile—thanks for the reminder.

6. 32horn

32horn < 25 Posts

I remember Jody's outburst during the Tennessee semi final...Threw a chair if I recall...It was an awesome trip...year...Final game was a work of art as the team showed how a TEAM works with great pieces working together..

• Like Like x 2