2/3 of Americans, 1/2 of GOP Blame economy on Bush

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mcbrett, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Link

Gallup Poll released today.

2. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Most polls that include "Americans" and "economy" point to one thing. Americans don't know **** about how the economy works.

However, this does seem to give obama some breathing room on the economy. I still think we are going to have to see progress for him to get reelected. Americans may not blame him for the economy but may also not think he is the guy to fix it based on the last four years.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pretty misleading pull quote in light of the rest of the article:In reply to:

4. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

We elected a guy who'd never run so much as a lemonade stand to be President of the United States.

Sadly, Americans as a whole are just not very bright. So this poll surprises me not at all.

5. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

As all of us know in this forum, the Housing Bubble bursting is the root cause and we can take that back to Bill Clinton and sub prime mortgages.

Obama will not be re-elected, it's the economy stupid!

6. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

We need leadership in the worst way. Running around the country blaming (a very gracious) former president is called chickensheet, not leadership.

7. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Are Americans stupid or smart depending on if the poll results agree with our personal views?

8. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

He was in office, he is too blame.

People that have half a brain know the root cause.

9. ProdigalHorn

mcbrett, any thoughts on why the writer might have chosen to lead with the "blame Bush" angle, when the poll he sites also says that more than half the people surveyed also blame Obama? Isn't that a little more relevant to the election?

Oh right, what was I thinking... blaming Bush is the most important talking point in this election, so it's laughable to think that half the country placing blame on Obama would have any relevance to whether they'll actually vote for him.

10. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

100% probably blame Obama for the lack of a substantial recovery. What's your point? Well....at 100% of the people that actually know anything about anything.

11. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

so the bottom ignorant half. Sad part is the current POTUS is amongst the ignorant. he still blames it on Bush, yet he keeps and ESCALATES the same policies bush used that allegedly got us into the mess in th efirst place. They you have the bootlickers who think this skid mark is the allesome.

12. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

tells me that most Americans are pretty damn stupid.

13. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, who can forget those evil, horrible, disgraceful, disgusting Bush tax cuts.......that Obama extended.

And folks are still buying the Hype.

14. ProdigalHorn

Remember, he only extended them when he decided that they weren't actually "just for the wealthy". When he ran for president, they were taxes for the rich, then they became taxes for the middle class and were necessary to keep the economy going, and lately they've gone back to being "for the rich".

15. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So many who answered tht poll thought Bush deserved the blame and not quite as many thought BO deserved the blame

so who will the people be able to vote for or against? Not Bush, he isn't running
    BO is and unless things turn around significantly his share of the blame won't go down and likely will go up

So will the people who give BO a pretty good share of the blame vote for him?

I am sure mcBrett posted this as a Look Look it is Bush's fault.
    Too bad Bush isn't running

if it is all Bush's fault what does it say about BO that he hasn't improved or undone anything bush did? BO has only made it worse.

I am not sure that is a poll to delight BO supporters.

17. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

18. ProdigalHorn

Clearly it's much harder to run a lemonade store than to be governor of California or Texas.

That comment is just idiotic. It's one thing to say that you didn't like Bush or Reagan, but to say that Obama's resume compares with either of theirs is laughable.

19. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

BI loves to drag Republicans down to Obama's level and tell us they are somehow equally incompetent / culpable.

Everyone should ignore mcbrett's questions and reread Prod's posts.

20. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

I would think Mitt Romney is more relevant to the discussion than GWB. I'm no big fan of Mitt but he does have a track record of two things that Obama has no clue about:

1) Working with the opposing party.
    2) Fixing budgets.

How in the hell does someone take a President seriously that cannot pass a budget in three and a half years?

Yes, I understand that budgets are the job of congress, which is the reason for point #1 above. Hell he hardly needed that in his first 2 years.

21. Leftwith

Leftwith 500+ Posts

22. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

B I - citing your perceived lack of experience is really pathetic.
    Leaving out college achievements:

Reagan - Governor of a fairly large state. GHW Bush - US Congressman, UN Ambassador, CIA director, VP. GW - Governor of a fairly large state.

BO - community organizer. Part-time Law Lecturer.

[​IMG]

23. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

Bevo, sometimes you seem quite reasonable and then you do things like comparing Obama's resume to Reagan's and Bush's. Are you for real or did you just forget that they had much more impressive resumes?

24. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

What else should we expect from the general public? From 2008 through today the overwhelming majority of media outlets have continued the narrative of blaming bush for every economic woe Americans have felt. The president inserts direct and indirect comments into most speeches, which are covered on every major tv station.

Bush deserves blame for the economic state of 2008 and 2009. Then Obama deserves blame for stunting the recovery and lighting trillions of taxpayers' dollars on fire. They both deserve credit/blame for being unbelievably irresponsible as the polls more or less show.

The polls might not be as accurate as many in this thread believe but overall this is categorically underwhelming news.

25. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I count 5 or 6 posts who call the American public stupid because of the results of this poll. Yet this SAME American public also, and recently, voted in a Conservative majority in the House (2010), and a Conservative President in 2000 (well, sorta!) and 2004. So, how can the public be both stupid and Liberal but also vote Conservative in the same time period?

OR, instead do people here just get frustrated and result to insults when people don't agree with them??? Hmmm, me thinks its the latter.

26. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Bush inherited the Dot-com bust followed by the 9/11 attacks that crippled our economy for a time, but it got it turned around rather quickly, doing what he could to help business.

Obama is anti-business. Thus, minimal turnaround. Pretty simple really.

27. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

28. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, George W. Bush is to blame for the Community Reinvestment Act. He was one powerful governor of Texas.

29. ProdigalHorn

30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Obamacare will be ruled on this week with most predicting all or most of it rejected, unemployment remains above 8.2%, stock markets are on edge, and Greece's economic collapse will further slow our economy.

Obama will need more than one poll that does not compare him to Bush to convince people he needs to be re-elected.