2006 golf course thread

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by grinder, Apr 19, 2006.

1. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Alright, let's get this started again. I've not been able to hit the links yet this year, but am anxious to hear how area courses are playing so far.

2. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

Roy Kizer - Saturday April 15
    Windy as all get out. This city gets windier every year.

Greens were so, so. Same as the fairways. Paid $42 to ride and the beer cart girl (only one) was cute but nothing special.

Driving Range has been reduced in size due to some sort of construction. Don't know what they're building but it takes up the far right side of the range and the area to the left of the #2 tee box.

I think I've found a new driver though - Ben Hogan Big Ben on closeout for $150 with an Aldila NV shaft. Hit my friend's really, really well.

3. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

Kizer is getting a golf academy of some sort. That's the construction.

4. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

Thanks, K-Man. That's good to know as I work really close to Clay/Kizer and practice their sometimes at lunch or after work.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

6. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Played ShadowGlen two weeks ago and it was in very nice shape. Nice fairways, and fantastic, very quick greens. They have deals on their site for $30 on weekends after 12, including cart/gf/GPS, very much worth it.

7. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

Is there still quality talent working at Star Ranch ?

There was a chick named Tara that worked there last summer, she was a nice piece.

8. SimplyDevine

SimplyDevine < 25 Posts

played Plum Creek last Friday (04/14). Course was in good shape. Greens rolled good, albeit a bit slow.

$30 using Golf512 which also includes range balls. BYOB is always nice too

They've got a PC2 program now. $29 a month for all you can hit range balls plus green fee discounts. Since I live down here, I may be taking them up on that offer

9. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

FYI on plum creek...

It's $20 anytime w/ your student ID.

10. Haxxxter

Haxxxter 100+ Posts

Have any of you guys played Austin Golf Club, Spanish Oaks or Escondido?

11. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

AGC is comically hard to get onto - one of the users in my wedding used to have a family member who worked there, and my buddy couldn't even play.

Played Bluebonnet last weekend - so-so is the only word for it. There's grass out there thanks to the recent rains, but the greens haven't grown in like I expected after the last punching. I enjoy BB because of the low rates, pace of play and the quality of the greens, so average greens make the place very so-so.

Is Star Ranch still running like a ***** on fire? Last time I went out there I had more driver-wedge holes that I've ever remembered. When 11 plays driver-60*, something's wrong.

12. LonghornLib

LonghornLib < 25 Posts

Falconhead is in good shape. The only reason I say good is b/c I've played on it when it was in fantastic shape and the greens are a little slow currently. Fairways are in great shape.

Barton Creek Lakeside - As of 4/14, the greens were still improving from being punched. Fairways in great shape.

Teravista - Good shape albeit the greens are slower than normal, but I hear the members like them that way. They roll true, but kinda slow. Rest of the course in great shape.

Traffic had a good take on Kizer.

13. austinmama

austinmama 25+ Posts

Haxxter -- my husband actually just got home from playing AGC about 2 hours ago and said it was fantastic. He said there were only about 15 people on the course today, which I guess is normal given the number of members and the limit the club places on number of rounds per year.

14. lejt6

lejt6 25+ Posts

free round on or around your birthday.
    The Link

15. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

Lions Municipal - May 5, 2006
    $16 to walk. Trees and limbs downed everywhere from the storm the night before. Greens were in good shape - slow (as usual), but smooth. Fairways.....well, I wasn't in many, but they seemed okay. Remember, this only cost $16. Beer was about $3/can....reasonable.

Do they hire only the most cantankerous employees, or do you become that way after working there a while?

Anyway, I got at least $16 in value out of the round.

16. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

17. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

18. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

yes, that, too. A 6-hour round and I have to stop at the ATM on the way. [​IMG]

19. breakfast_taco

breakfast_taco 100+ Posts

Agree on the attitude at Lions. It makes you want to have the city outsource it to a private company that's motivated to give good service and keep you happy. Several cities have done this and the citizens get a better course.

Falconhead was in good shape back in April.
    Kizer is holding up well.

If you got a friend as a member, I highly recommend Twin Creeks. It's in good shape. Plus, the layout is really great for a "Hill Country" course. It's not "tricked up" or has a lot of awkward lies like Riverplace (which I really don't like).

20. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I liked Twin Creeks - it needs time to grow in. The greens were pretty grainy, and inconsistent in how they held/didn't hold approach shots. However, I loved the layout - some of the greens are TINY, and others are huge. Good solid fun layout.

Jimmy Clay is in fantastic shape - the UIL tournament week always does that to those two courses - thhey finally mow the greens that week. Lots of grass everywhere, rolling very true - hard to find a better deal than $11 after 4, to walk.

21. AhhhCraig

AhhhCraig 100+ Posts

Forest Creek 5-14: This course kicked my ***! It was in great shape from Tees to greens. The hole placements were very difficult, and the greens were running very fast for the first 9 holes. I've never played there before, but I will definetly play there again.

22. unpaintedhuffhines

last minute tee time at Kizer at 12:53....I'll report back. If you can make it try and get out there and join my 2-some.

man, sure is a nice day outside..sucks if you're in an office [​IMG]

23. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

I hate you.

24. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

I hope unpainted graces us with a live shot-by-shot account of his round. [​IMG]

25. unpaintedhuffhines

damn it was windy yesterday. Perfect temperature outside, just windy as hell.

greens were indeed cut nicely and rolled true. They were a bit hard which is surprising considering all the recent rain. Fairways were nicely grown in. Paid $22 from Golf512...worth every penny

26. hrn346

hrn346 25+ Posts

played shadowglen this weekend w/ natethehorn

on sat after 1 its 30 bucks w/ coupon....

greens were f'n fast and it seemed like i was in the sand all day long.....

btw they are making the fairways wider (they are really narrow).....

the greens need to be watered big time.

27. LonghornLib

LonghornLib < 25 Posts

5/24/06 - UT Golf Club - Does it really matter what kind of shape this course is in to enjoy the experience? From the burnt orange carts, the Longhorns/UT on the tee boxes, the orange and white flowers speckled throughout the course, the bronze longhorn 150 yard markers on the cart path, the Longhorns on top of the provided tees, the untouchable practice facilities and a proshop that beckons any Longhorn fan to spend a year's salary on cool Longhorn golf stuff, my answer is no. But I'll tell you anyway for those interested.

Tee boxes, fairways and bunkers were in fantastic shape. The greens have just been punched and sanded over the past week but are showing great signs of being near perfect over the next couple of weeks, especially if we get some rain. I hope all Longhorn fans get the opportunity to play here, not for the course, but for the Longhorn experience.

28. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

went out to Lions last weekend for my first round of golf ever. a friend and i had a 2:30 tee time, when we showed up there were NO CARTS available so they called riverside and set up a tee time there. we showed up and go right on played by ourselves...with a cart!

it was HOT, HOT, HOT. i struggled a bit on the front 9 but got my **** together after the turn...not bad for a first timer. the greens were VERY fast, putting was impossible. the good news was and we only had to wait at one tee box (#3). Had a great time! I'm playing Lions this afternoon after work.

29. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i played riverplace last weekend

pretty good shape. greens were fair, not nearly as nice as the ones i have been playing at the houstonian in Houston.

it was a tournament though and the beer was already paid for. good times.

30. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

River Place greens have never been good when I have played there.

Played Star Ranch 5/24. Pretty good shape tee to green.

Falconhead also in good shape.

[​IMG]