2006 golf course thread

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by grinder, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Played Clay on Memorial Day. Fwys were in pretty good shape. Greens were SLOW. Worth the $21 with cart from Golf 512.

2. hookem115

hookem115 100+ Posts

Played Blackhawk 5/31... greens were in bad shape but they still rolled ok... fairways had just been punched and it was pretty soggy from the rain... not a bad course for the $15 bucks we paid (golf 512)

3. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Played Star Ranch 6/4. Very good shape, greens very nice, pretty quick.

4. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Delaware Springs 6/3. Course in fantastic shape - grass on the greens way a bit furry. Only complaint is that they should go ahead and mow them. Looks like they're letting them grow a bit to protect against the coming summer heat, but the recent rains have given them a break, ,and they're quite full and grown in.

$30 on golf512 ... worth every penny.

5. TXSooner518

TXSooner518 250+ Posts

Played Teravista today, very good shape overall. Greens were true and medium speed. They were so true you expected them to be quicker on downhilll putts. Staff was friendly and helpful. Lots of hot chicks. [​IMG]

6. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Kizer today ... a bit disappointed in the greens, still. I noted a few months ago that the greens were looking suspect, but I thought they'd pull through. The grass is VERY grainy, and not consistently colored. Bumpy putts were the norm, even though there was plenty of grass on the greens. They're still quite good for a city course, but not to kizer's usual standards.

It was my bachelor party, tho, and the pro shop guy let me play for free. Good times.

7. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

agreed that Kizer's were a bit bumpy in spots, but not all or even most of the greens, atleast from what I recall

their fairways were in great shape though

8. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

a few updates.

Played Austin Country Club 6/8-- Excellent shape, difficult course. Played pretty well.

Forest Creek 6/9-- course in terrific shape. As good as I have seen it.

Falconhead-- 6/12-- also in very good shape.

no issues with any and would currently recommend any of them.

[​IMG]

9. West Coast Horn

West Coast Horn 25+ Posts

Blackhawk - STAY THE HELL AWAY! That was the worst course that I've ever seen. Never again.

Forest Creek is in good shape although some of the greens are tricky.

10. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Played Shadowglen in Manor. Course is in good shape after the rains. Damn those fairways are tight!!!

11. Cluck

Cluck 25+ Posts

Pecan Valley in San Antonio is amazing. One of the top 5 courses I've ever played. Tremendous old school layout. They hosed the 1968 PGA Championship out there. You could notify them today that they are going to host this year's PGA and it would be ready by August. There's already rough, but all they would have to do is grow it out some more, rake the bunkers a little better and it would be good to go.

12. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Played Teravista this morning. Fairways are in good shape. Greens showing a little bit of the effects of no rain. Finished in less than 4 hours, as there was no one out there tomorrow..

Playing Avery Ranch tomorrow morning..

13. unpaintedhuffhines

14. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

15. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

nothing like time travel to bring unpainted out.

[​IMG]

16. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Played Avery Ranch yesterday. Fairways in good shape, but the greens were not that great. They were recently aerated and were bumpy and sandy.

17. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts

Pecan is in the best shape I have seen in four years. They did recently punch the greens, but they are looking really good considering. Those trees jump up and get you, but that has more to do with my golf game than their course.

Played the Quarry on Friday morning. The punched the greens monday and are offering a $35 reduced rate. The course itself was in awesome shape and well worth the $35 despite the hles in the greens.

Played Tapatio Springs in Boerne yesterday. Very good shape except for the bunkers (wish I didn't know that). Alot of them were muddy and impossible to play out of with any consistency. Pace was awful and it was cart path only (they said it was too dry to drive on the grass - first time I have ever heard that). But the fairways and tee boxes were in really good shape.

18. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

Played Bluebonnet Hill Friday and for $21 that course is hard to beat.Overall, the course is in pretty good shape.

19. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Played ShadowGlen on Saturday and it was in great shape.

Played Bluebonnet Hill today and it was ok. It had alot of rain and was playing slow. Lots of micro-ant mounds all over the place.

20. West Coast Horn

West Coast Horn 25+ Posts

Crystal Falls in Leander was in pretty good shape yesterday. And at $27.50 (tax included) on a holiday, it was a steal! Nice Hill Country views on the back 9. Unfortunately, I shot a 106 thanks to a glut of lost balls.

21. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Just an update ... played delaware springs again on sunday, and it's flawless. Like I mentioned about a month ago, the greens just needed a little bit of time - the grass on them is fantastic, and they've started mowing them. We also finished in 3.5 hours, and only paid 30 to ride from Golf512. Take the day, eat in Llano, or Marble Falls, and play a fantastic track.

22. grinder

grinder 500+ Posts

Played Mo Willie on Saturday. Fairways were decent the few times I was there [​IMG] and the greens were in good condition. My only complaint was that they didn't have a beer cart on the course.

23. shaq

shaq 100+ Posts

played the 3 Horseshoe bay courses this weekend

all were in great shape.

Applerock still is one of the most scenic courses I've ever played and Ram is more fun to play...sans the views.

24. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts

shaq - what are they getting for green fees these days?

25. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Went back to Avery Ranch today ... course is in fantastic shape. I commented a while back that the greens were not great ... well, they've made a LOT of progress in three weeks - today, they were quite good. A little slow, and some places could use some more grass, but overall very impressive. Nothing country club quality, but very close to excellent for a public course.

Oh, and I aced 13 [​IMG].

26. shaq

shaq 100+ Posts

$65 plus 1/2 cart fee $17) for an accompanied guest

Before I joined, I played a couple of times while staying at the Mariott and it was $125

27. unpaintedhuffhines

nice work capn!

28. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

Played Blackhawk today. It was the suck. Like, in worse shape than Hancock suck. I doubt I'll ever go back.

29. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

30. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

They're putting in a whole new street of houses where the OB used to be on the right at #2.

Is there a water issue out there? I know we're in the dog days right now but there's just no excuse for the greens at least to be in the condition they are.

And it's not just the condition of the course. The range balls are Lion's found-em-in-the-pond quality, and they don't even give you your own bag anymore. You have to go out there and scrounge from half-full trays they lay out at the stations. I guess they must replenish them at some point but I never saw anybody do it.

Our tee time was 9:00 a.m. and at 9:00 a.m. there were two groups ahead of us waiting to go out. Not quite sure what happened.

Bunkers were nearly as hard as the cart paths.

On the plus side, concessions were reasonably priced and today's cart girl was quite the hottie.