2008 Australian Open Tennis Championships

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MikeUT00, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Come on Ana, hang in there!

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

0-15 on a double fault ...

3. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

0-30 on a forehand into the net.

4. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

0-40 on a forehand winner for Triple Championship Point

5. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Sharapova long. 14-40 Double Championship point ...

6. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

forehand wide. 30-40. Championship point ...

7. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

that's the match for sharapova!

we all knew she'd win, but ana played a lot closer than most of us expected, especially in the first set.

sharapova, however, was on a roll the entire tournament, and played pretty dominating tennis. congratulations to her!

8. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Ivanovic wide. Sharapova breaks again to win 7-5, 6-3.

9. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Well, I predicted 4 and 3. It was a bit closer at 5 and 3. Glad Ivanovic didn't just pack it in. She fought and played decent. But Maria is just playing the best tennis of her life right now. Great tournament for her. Well deserved win for her. Likewise, Ana had a great tournament run. Both should be proud.

10. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

why do tennis players fall to the ground after they win the championship? most other sports have the winners jumping up and down in celebration

i've never understood that...

11. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Both girls were class in their respective speeches. Maria especially. She spoke very well to the crowd and made sure to thank everyone from her camp to Ana's to the fans, both Russian, Serbian, and Australian, and the event crew and sponsors. Came off very well and sincere. That's what I like to see from athletes when they are in front of a microphone. Great job!

12. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

take out the one game sharapova lost on her serve and she what?.... LOST LIKE 4 DAMN POINTS ALL MATCH??!!? ridiculous.

they're hot. that is all.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Yup, this was Maria's tourney. She worked hard and had a very focused look the whole way through. The Serbs ARE EVERYWHERE. Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Men's and Women's finals. Yeesh.

Ana is awesome and a media favorite. Now surely a fan favorite. I like that there is danger at every corner of almost every match in both genders' sides of tourneys. Anybody can win now, it seems.

Here is to a great match tomorrow but I want the Serb to win.

14. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Screw that I'm rooting for the underdog Tsonga. That dude's game has the capabilities of blowing the serb off the court. Djokovic better hope his breathing is better and he doesn't get tired early on or he might be in real trouble.

15. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

16. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

17. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

18. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

hornphar, this post is not to you as I have read and undertand your logic regarding this topic. this is to the one-trick-pony idea in general.

Regarding the whole Rafa is a one trick pony opinion, I just don't think it can be supported with fact and yet stay consistent with other players. Someone else said Rafa can't win the big one unless it is on clay. When did the French Open stop being a major? When did the French Open stop being a big one? Nadal has already won three majors, three big ones. So he has to win a non-clay major to prove something? Well, let's take a look at some facts ...

The thing everyone keeps pointing to is his record in the majors. So let's take a look at his best finish in each major:

Rafael Nadal: French (Winner '05, '06, '07); Wimbledon (Finalist '06, '07), Australian (Semifinalist '08), U.S. Open (Quarterfinalist '06)

How exactly does that show him as a one trick pony? Because he hasn't won a major on another surface? So then by that logic, other than Federer what active player(s) has won majors on different surfaces? Lleyton Hewitt won the '01 US and '02 Wimbledon. Perhaps Marat Safin with '00 US and '05 Aussie, though those are both hards (albethem a bit different). So that means only Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt are the only non-one trick ponies currently on the ATP tour, with the possible inclusion of Safin. I would make a guess that most tennis pundits would disagree with everyone on tour is a one trick pony with the exception of Federer and Hewitt, and possibly Safin.

So let's take a look at a few more champions:

Michael Chang: French (Winner '89), US Open (Finalist '96), Australian (Finalist '96), Wimbledon (Quarterfinalist '94)
    Patrick Rafter: US Open (Winner '97, '98), Wimbledon (Finalist '00, '01), French (Semifinalist '97), Australian (Semifinalist '01)
    Andy Roddick: US Open (Winner '03), Wimbledon (Finalist '04, '05), Australian (Semifinalist '03, '05, '07), French (3rd round '01)
    Gustavo Kuertan: French (Winner '97, '00, '01), US Open (Quarterfinalist '99, '01), Wimbledon (Quarterfinalist '99), Australian (3rd round '04)
    Goran Ivanisevic: Wimbledon (Winner '01), US Open (Semifinalist '96), Australian (Quarterfinalist '89, '94, '97), French (Quarterfinalist '90, '92, '94)
    Novak Djokovic: Australian (Winner or Finalist '08), US Open (Finalist '07), Wimbledon (Semifinalist '07), French (Semifinalist '07)

So every player above only won major(s) on one surface, therefore they must be one trick ponies, correct? If they had deep runs in other majors, it doesn't matter. They only won majors on one surface, so one trick pony. Djokovic may very well win his first major tonight, but he hasn't done it yet. Let's just say he does, though. What else has he done? Won a major on another surface? Nope. So then, he too is a one trick pony, right? Everyone keeps talking about success in majors, so that is what I am showing. Potential doesn't matter. What they might do doesn't matter. Only what they have already done in majors.

There is no doubt in my mind that Djokovic will win a major, probably starting tonight. There is no doubt in my mind that he will probably win multiple majors, most likely on different surfaces. But has he done it yet?

People keep saying that Rafa hasn't it done it yet. He needs to prove more on other surfaces in majors. If you believe that, then according to the record books you must feel the same way towards every other active player not named Federer, Hewitt and/or Safin, along with all of the champions listed above and every other past champion that only won major(s) on one surface, no matter which surface it was.

I am not saying that Rafa is the best all around player, nor am I saying he is the second best behind Federer. I'm just taking issue with him being a one trick pony based on his record in majors.

19. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

The Link

20. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

For those willing to stay up late tonight ...

Men's Final:
    (3) Novak Djokovic vs. Jo-Wilfriend Tsonga
    (Night Session, ESPN2 2:30 a.m. telecast)

21. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

22. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

Alright Mike, I'm up for this one. I like Djokovic, but I'd rather just see a good match...

23. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

I'm rooting for Tsonga. So far they both were tight coming out, both losing breaks. We'll see who blinks next.

24. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

I didn't realize how strong Tsonga is. He just kills the ground strokes he gets behind.

25. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

they have settled down after their first service games. some good tennis now.

26. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

This is becoming a really good match.

27. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

Those last two points were absolutely sick!!

28. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Tsonga win the first set on a CRAZY lob! Badass! 6-4

29. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

wow! what a great couple of points!!!

Dad is awesome.

30. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

How did ND not put away that overhead smash @ 30?!