2008 Australian Open Tennis Championships

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MikeUT00, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Djokovic is rattled. He's missing shots now.

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

What the hell is the big deal with the whole fan situation? I'm sure they bought tickets just like any other patron. If they aren't directly being rude, why the hell can't they cheer for Tsonga?

3. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Tsonga's forehand has become lethal.

4. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Djokovic breaks. He is now serving at 4-3 in the 2nd.

5. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Man, that crowd is rockin'!

6. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

Novak with the break. High class tennis.

7. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

This is going to be a long night boys...

8. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Djokovic wins the 2nd set 6-4. All square.

9. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Djokovic breaks in the 3rd. Starting to take control of the match.

10. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

wtf?? I lost power for 30sec and now i only get audio with a black screen.

11. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Tsonga looks tired as hell. He might have mentally packed it in already.

Djokovic breaks again to win the 3rd 6-3. I don't think Tsonga has enough to win in five.

12. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

alright...now i have a pink screen. I'm off to sleep. Looks like Djokavic has this under control now.

13. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Here we go ... 4th set tiebreak coming up.

14. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

this should be good, mike

i wanna see tsonga take this and see what the two of them have in the 5th

damn that tape!

15. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

damn...tsonga down a double break at 1-5 as they change sides

16. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Novak Djokovic wins 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)

17. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Tsonga had his chance at 5-5 having a break point against Djokovic. If he converts, he would have had a chance to serve out the set. But Novak was able to hold and get the set in the tiebreak to win the match. Good tournament for both.

18. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Wow Nola breaks thru.

There is starting to become clear separation for the top 3 players in the world now. I think one interesting will be where #3 will be seeded. Roger obviously the #1 player in the world can be seeded #2 in the world which would put #3 on his side of the draw. On grass and hard court surfaces this would be reversed.

You have to give Nola some real props after this one. He beat #1 Fed with the crowd behind Fed and then he went down a set and rallied to beat a zoning Tsonga with the crowd behind Tsonga. Makes you wonder what he will do the rest of the year.

19. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

20. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

I've become a huge Djokovic fan. He's just what tennis has needed. There's a defiance about him that we haven't seen on tour since Agassi showed up (and before him, John McEnroe). He gets under Federer's skin because he doesn't kiss his *** or show him the 'respect' he thinks he deserves.

Djokovic is currently the best player in the world. He was the best at the US Open as well but wasn't ready for the moment.

If he stays healthy he should finish the year ranked #1.

21. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Wow hornphar, I really don't even know what to say to your last reply. It's like you are not even reading the previous posts ...

What was originally said: "Unless & until he wins a major on another surface, I will continue to regard him as a one-trick pony."

My post: "People keep saying that Rafa hasn't it done it yet. He needs to prove more on other surfaces in majors."

Your reply: "Again Mike I think you are trying to draw conclusions on things we just are not saying."

So how exactly is it that no one is saying what I referenced in my reply? It is exactly what was said, which is what I was responding to. In my reply, I even prefaced with, "hornphar, this post is not to you as I have read and undertand your logic regarding this topic. this is to the one-trick-pony idea in general.", specfically stating that I read your opinion on the matter and recognize that you were not saying what I was reponding to. And yet, you still assume I take issue with your comments, drawing conclusions on things that "we", (meaning you and everyone else) just aren't saying? Wow.

What I orginally said: "Roger Federer, in my opinion, is the greatest men's singles tennis player of all time. I am very specific about that because that is what he plays. I don't compare him to doulbles players, nor do I compare him to women. Otherwise, Roger has a hell of a lot longer a way to go than just Pete's 14. Try Margaret court at 24, Steffi Graf at 22, etc.."

What you claim I said: "Then to compare his major wins and what not to that of the great female tennis players in history....Why? Do you think that if Federer were to suit up against them that they would have a chance? I see no reason to compare...I would just keep them separate and in their own categories."

What part of "don't" (do not) and/or "nor" do you not understand? I never compared Roger to the women. I said I believe Roger is the greatest men's singles tennis player of all time. Does that pretty much mean he is the greatest tennis player of all time? In my mind, yes. However I could understand a tennis purist wanting to say that greatest tennis player includes all players, doubles, mixed doubles, women's singles ... not just men's singles. Technically they could bring up Billie Jean King and/or Martina Navratalova and all of their respective total slams. Technically, they could bring up Margaret Court and/or Steffi Graf and all of their respective slams. So, to prevent that from being included in the debate, I state that, in my mind, Roger is the greatest men's singles tennis player of all time. I keep him in his own respective category. And yet still, you mention, "I would just keep them separate and in their own categories." ... which is exactly what I was already doing in my post. Wow.

Regarding the rest of the Federer/Nadal stuff, I won't even go there anymore, as it has already lasted the better part of six pages. I'm sure both of us can go on until blue in the face, or until carpal tunnel sets in. I disagree with your opinion. You disagree with mine. Let's leave it at that and respectfully move on to a new subject.

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I agree Mike on that last part. Just trying to give you some insight on why some may consider Nadal a one trick pony and why he hasn't really proven anything on other surfaces just yet. This needs to be put in perspective when evaluating his overall impact. Also his impact shouldn't be mentioned too heavily when evaluationg Federera's era or impact. The 2 are just not real comparable in my mind in terms of accomplishment. Nadal has kept Federer from winning the career grand slam which has kept him for achieving the title of one of the best all surface players of his generation....but that is about it.

Dog I do agree with the way Djokovic is playing that he has the talent and game to win another major this year and finish #1. Great to see another player jump in there when everyone thought that Fed and Nadal couldn't be touched. Should make for some drama the rest of the year for sure. Scheduling for all 3 of those guys will be key. If they wear themselves out before July then Djokovic could seize an opportunity.