2008 Texas v. Ou

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by caryhorn, Jul 24, 2020.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Watching it now on LHN. Great game. Man, that team was loaded. Both sides of the ball, and up and down the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Quan Cosby vs Lindy Holmes.

I can watch that block over and over.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Me too, Sangre. That defines "decleater."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Should've had another MNC. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes indeed. ^^^
    And one could argue (me, for example) that the year Colt got hurt in the Bama NC game could have been another. I think we win the game hands down had Colt not been injured.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Caryhorn, I agree 100%. Alabama was not stopping the Texas offense, and the Texas defense was doing pretty well against Bama. And while we're talking about it, I also think Colt should have won the Heisman.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Do y'all even message board, Bros? :ousucksnana:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Ironically, with the rule changes, that Cosby block probably gets flagged if it happens now. Not allowed to hit anyone who cant see you coming. And yes, that 08 Texas team would have won the NC but for the screwed up voters and Big XII tie braker, Texas would have beaten Florida in the NC and I think could have won back to back titles if Colt doesnt get hurt. I really think the combination of those two seasons missed chance is what killed Mack's drive and was the prime reason for his decline and the program's decline from 2010 on.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We didn't get screwed out of the NC. We **** the bed against Tech and they lost by 44 to OU, a team we only beat by 10. And Tech's defense proved its "mettle" in the Cotton Bowl against Ole Miss by getting blown the f**k out in the 2nd/3rd quarters. If we took care of business against Tech, we'd have no arguments about going back to the national championship, and the 2008 team was arguably better than the 2009 one except for some defensive components. Heck, the AP had us lower than the coaches' final poll, for all of the crap Briles gets for ranking us down.

And while I think we would have rolled Mizzou in the CCG rematch, a win over UF in Florida for the national championship was very much a coin flip. Their D played very well against Bradford, and they probably should have won by a larger margin than the final score. Meanwhile, tOSU's D played us just as tough, and they weren't even in the national championship consideration. I think we probably lose the UF game and finish with the same ranking we had either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

They were "not stopping" us for literally 1 of the 5 plays we ran before Colt got hurt. I don't understand the rationale that we would just continue to roll on offense when the only series with Colt in was predicated on a botched fake punt and had Alabama reeling from their own FG range for a hot minute. GG wasn't great that day, but I don't think Colt runs laps around Bama considering how well he played against NU in the CCG either.

11. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

But then.....Colt got hurt.....sooooo nothing....

12. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Three teams tied for first.
    TTU wins home game barely.
    OU wins home game handily.
    UT wins home game, oh wait, no home game against this group. UT wins neutral site game by two scores.
    TTU loses away game by a lot.
    UT loses away game barely.
    OU loses neural site game by 10.
    Yup - OU's the best. :puke:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

IIRC, Texas was up by 17 to 20 or so; Mack called off the dogs and elected to punt late in the game to avoid appearing to run up the score, and ou "caught-up" to make the margin of victory only 10.

I never understood Mack's electing not to run-up the score against ou since they never ever will reciprocate.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You could have stopped after your first three lines. That's pretty much all you need to know that we lost to the wrong team at the wrong time of the season. OU winning handily on 11/22 (two weeks after we lost) against the very same team, coupled with their 20-point win in Stillwater the following week (we beat them by 4 at home), was enough for nearly all media and coach pollsters to keep OU ahead. After Perrish Cox returned that kickoff for a TD, we needed OK State to at least keep it respectable for the rest of the game. They didn't, but even if they had, I'm not sure it would have been enough for people to watch our blowout of A&M and be like "yeah this team's better."

People talk about the Briles conspiracies all the time, but the Gundy ones and his disdain for us and desire for OU to go to the title game instead of us should be looked at in some of his coaching decisions once OU took the 10-point lead in the 4th quarter.

Flip the results (us losing to OU by 10 in October and then beating the **** out of undefeated Harrell/Crabtree at home in November, while OU loses a nail-biter to Tech because their freshman safety dropped an easy INT), and we'd win the division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We had the final 2 scores of the game to go up by 10. We never led by more than 2 before the 4th quarter.

I can't think of a Mack-coached OU game in which we had an opportunity to run it up against them. Maybe 1998 but we won by 31 anyhow. 2006 and 2009 were defensive battles. Maybe 2013 in his final season when we were up by 23 but couldn't put together a decent drive in the 4th quarter with Case at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

I seem to remember Texas running out the clock at about the OU 10 yard line or such to end the game, possibly after a turnover of downs by OU.

In hindsight, Texas should have tried to score - a 17 point, and more importantly, 52-35 win instead of 45-35, might have been the difference in the final rankings that led to who was invited from the South to the B12 championship game.

For good or bad, college rankings lean heavily against who lost last, and with OU losing a month before Texas, they had time to bounce back and get ranked higher.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

'05 could have been even worse than it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Nope, last play of game was an interception of Bradford in or near our end zone as OU threw about a fifty yard pass on last play of game. Texas never led by more than ten and only did that late in game.

19. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

2008 Quan Cosby best receiver ever.

20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Versus Bama...

The team was laser FOCUSED that night and ready. Horns had Bama on their heels on both sides of the ball early.

WE HAD THE BLUEPRINT TO WIN THAT GAME.

I have posted many times - Tide had not played ANYBODY like UT and IF Colt stays in the game we win.

I will go to my grave convinced of only a few things in life, but THAT is one of them!!!

:hookem: :hookem: :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Oklahoma actually went up 21-10 after a lucky play where Earl Thomas dislodged Jermaine Gresham from the ball and it ricocheted right to Ryan Broyles. We outscored them 35-14 after that, including 25-7 over the final 20 minutes of the game. Frankly it could have been worse since they recovered their own fumbles 3 times in the second time (we did so once also).

They were very good that year, but if you could keep it close and play physical, they'd fade down the stretch, as UT and UF proved. We outrushed them something like 160-20 after halftime.

Heck as it, our blowout of A&M supposedly wasn't impressive enough because we won by 40 and they won by 38, but 66-28 looks cooler than 49-9.

That really should have sealed it right there. Team A had as good of a conference record or a better conference record than either B or C, and head to head over both B and C. Team A had to watch Team B and C play for the conference championship. I realize that 3-way ties are screwy regardless, but the above scenario should simply never happen unless it's 100% impossible to avoid (it could have been forced if OU, UT, and Tech had all beaten Missouri and then Missouri still somehow won the North, but that's the only way).

Ohio State was a pretty good matchup for us that year since they had the defense to keep it close and a lot of experience, but overall I agree it's silly to assume we'd have beaten Florida. It's just dumb we didn't get to play the game, a coin flip sounds about right to me.

Tech was a different team with Crabtree hobbled though (and I realize he didn't give up 38 points, but the offense also probably scores more than 27 if he's healthy). Remember how much better our passing offense got in 2002 once Roy Williams got fully healthy? Crabtree was even more crucial to the 2008 Raiders.

And yeah the 2008 Texas team was definitely better than the 2009 one. 2009 was a bit of a down year for CFB in general, I think all the top teams in 2008 would have taken 7/10 or so from the top teams of 2009. We were much better at picking off passes in 2009, and Shipley somehow went up from an A+ to become an A++, but we were equal or worse in just about every other way.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Just went through the play-by-play, and it doesn't look like we left any points on the field. We had two drives that stalled around the OU 40, and neither of those were in garbage time when we could have rolled the dice and punched Bob in the gut with some "extra" scores.

It's semi-amazing that we didn't score more on D or ST, considering how rattled Bomar was and how on-fire Aaron Ross was for most of the rest of our games.

Another thing to consider about the 2008 game is how OU's defensive philosophy changed once Ryan Reynolds was lost due to injury. That game was the moment GD nutted up and said "oh maybe I should use the middle of the field and weird slot routes from Shipley." I don't think we have nearly as much success with those drag routes and intermediate stuff with their #8 manning that part.