2008 Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hornpharmd, Jun 27, 2008.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

A ton of high seeds have lost thru 1st 2-3 rounds.

The draw looked really intersting with a Federer v Djokovic possibility in the top half but Djokovic lost in 2nd round to Safin.

#3 Djokovic lost in 2nd round
    #4 Davydenko lost in 1st round
    #6 Roddick lost in 2nd round
    #7 Nalbandian lost in 1st round
    #9 Blake lost in 2nd round

Federer into 4th round now. Nadal into 3rd round. Nadal's draw is holding up better than Fed's but still nobody I see there to worry about just yet. Federer should play Hewitt in 4th round. With the upsets the middle part of the draw is wide open and should make for some very lopsided semi final matches.

2. iplaydrums

iplaydrums 100+ Posts

Add #5 seed David Ferrer, who lost to Ancic to that list. Yikes.

3. Lulu

Lulu 25+ Posts

sharapova is out too

4. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

and Ivanovic

5. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

What is the deal with Roddick? Wasn't he #1 in the world for a bit? He sure hasn't played like it in years. Is it physical? Mental?

6. toucan82

toucan82 1,000+ Posts

Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are all better than he is. I guess that would count as physical

7. barnesisgenius

barnesisgenius 25+ Posts

NBC's coverage of Wimbledon is so awful. When ESPN2 coverage ended at 11, the Murray/Haas and Gasquet/Simon watches were really heating up. Instead of showing those, we get a tape-delayed Venus match. ESPN's coverage has its faults but you can't argue with the sheer amount of live coverage they offer.

Does anyone have a better job within ESPN than Chris Fowler? He gets to do college football and cover the grand slams.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Roddick is just not that good of a player I guess. He peaked or got lucky when the great players were not yet around, perhaps. He also is said to lack focus and drive to get to where he could maybe get lucky again and catch one of the many better players on a bad day.

He will be a triva answer some day, that's all.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

10. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

#5 Ferrer losing helps Federer as they were both in the same quarter of the draw. If Federer beats Hewitt he'll have an easy ride to the Semis I think.

Nadal is up a set and up a break in 2nd. If he wins he will face the winner of Stepanek v Youzhny. Both played 5 sets in last match and are heading for a 5th set today.

Serena and Venus both have good chances to make it to quarter's. After that we'll see.

11. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

Roddick is not a very good player. He won his one title and ESPN grabbed on to him as the future of men's tennis in the U.S. He's just not good and it's not surprising to seem him lose in the third or fourth round at every slam.

12. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

How is he a #6 seed? He must WIN other tournaments or at least reach the finals to be a #6 seed.

PS- I liked the way Kiefer came back from 5-0 in the 3rd set to win 3 straight games. The crowd enjoyed it as well.

[​IMG]

13. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

14. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

15. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

16. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

The girl on the right plays Serena Williams on Monday to go to the Quarter Finals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

It appears that this ballboy approved of her improved game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

The 2, 4, and 8 seeds all lost on the women's side today.

19. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Both Venus and Serena are still in it though.

Nadal and Federer both advance in straight sets.

20. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I can't stand Andy Murray. His yelling to pump himself up, his pencil-neck geek look, his horrible facial expressions, and the crowd's adoration for an eventual loser, but...

He pulled an incredible match out of his *** today.

His opponent was serving for the match in the 3rd set, but double-faulted at 30-40 when leading 6-5. Andy won the tie-breaker and came back to win the 4th and 5th set. The crowd loved it. His pretty hot in a "All-American girl next door" looking way loved it. And it allows me to actually pull for Nadal in one match.

Good job Andy, I hope you get your *** kicked on Wednesday.

21. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I saw the highlights of that one and that was one of the best matches in the tournament so far. Murray had some amazing shots that willl go down as points and shots of the tournament as well. Him being all fired up that way reminded me of Connors in the US Open at the end of his career. He also kind of had to remind you a bit of Manu Ginobili.

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Serena and Venus both into Semis. What a story this will be if both make it to the final match. Only a Nadal/Fed matchup will trump an all-Williams matchup.

Fed plays Ancic today. Tough match for him.

23. True Texan

True Texan < 25 Posts

Is it just me or is ESPN's score line incredibly hard to read? A tennis novice would have a hard time reading that, hell it takes someone like me(who's been playing since 3) a good 30 seconds to get the score straight The highlighting and pointing and matching up of players to scores on the left and the right is damn confusing.

and I concur with the above statement in regards to NBC Sports. Play has resumed, but they are still showing tape delay coverage of the Gasquet/Murray match? Why cant they show us live coverage? cant wait till noon and the Murray/Nadal match, although I think Rafa wins in straights.

24. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Roger and Rafa advance to semis with straight set wins. They both look really impressive and are almost surely gonna meet up again in the final. Roger will have a much tougher semi against Safin, who I think has a real shot of making this a long 4 or 5 set match if he keeps his head in the game. Rafa will play winner of Shuettler/Clement, so he should have a cakewalk to final. I still favor Roger in that final but very very slightly. I'm interested to see how Rogers mental psyche is playing Rafa in a final after the beatdown just a few weeks ago and overall better record vs. Roger. Good stuff!

25. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

One thing about Marat Safin.

I don't remember watching him much, if at all, in the past, but that guy is absolutely enormous. He looks like a slimmed down rush-end.

Wiki lists him as 6'4" 200lbs, but he looks bigger than that. He looks absolutely massive and he seems like his brute force is more responsible for his current success than racing all over the court. He's just downright intimidating

26. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Safin is big but not mentally tough. Roger owns him 7-2 career and they are both hard court players. It could go 4 but on paper it is not a close match. Federer has beaten him last two times and both matches were on grass and in straight sets.

Looks to me like Nadal vs. Fed is just about a lock.

Agree that who knows what Roger's mindset is going into that match though. He seems to feel all of the pressure of defending and proving that he is the best. Whereas Nadal can be happy just making it that far and play loose. But Nadal doesn't want to just make it to the finals either...he wants to win and is playing the best tennis in the world right now. Should be epic.

27. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

This is complete and utter ********* right now. What are we back in 1995 now? We have the ******* internet and know the scores...show us the ******* matches already.

Federer is up on Safin 6-3, 1-1 right now but on ESPN2 where the coverage says "Men's Semi's" they are showing Williams sister's doubles match.

On ESPN.com they aren't even updating the men's scores like we don't know they are playing. You have to click over to Wimbledon.org to get the score.

www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

Safin is going down in straight sets. He has done enough to improve his ranking.

28. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Federer in straight sets. Nadal up next.

Williams sisters both advance to finals and will face each other Saturday. They also won their doubles match today and will be in the finals there too.

Looks like American tennis on the women's side is still alive.

29. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Our ******* RULE!!

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday America!!

30. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Hell yeh!

Nadal looks like he is going to drop the 2nd set.