2008 Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hornpharmd, Jun 27, 2008.

1. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

These guys are just ridiculous. Every single shot seems like a winner. Not too many misses.

At 2-1 in the 5th set on serve I think it is already fair to say this is the best match I have ever seen. Who knows who will win.

Rain looms.

2. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Through 49 games, they are all of two points apart. This is awesome.

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

How fitting. Rain delay at deuce in 5th game of 5th set. Match all square.

As we all know the 5th and 7th game of a set are the most important. 30-30 and Deuce most important points. What a story.

I have already eaten breakfast, lunch, and had afternoon ice cream watching this match. Now with rain delay and some match still to be played I think I will be able to fire the grill up in a couple of hours and possibly still be watching this match. Amazing.

Time for some guitar hero.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Being somewhat of an old timer, this has to be the closest thing to Borg - McEnroe that I have seen at Wimbledon.

5. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Is this match going to finish today?

How late can they play at Wimbledon? Especially with cloudy skies that make it darker than on a clear day.

[​IMG]

6. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Match back on, match no longer even.

Federer serves up 2 aces and up 3-2. Though match is still on serve.

3 rain delays and 6 plus hours of tennis.

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

3-3 in 5th.

7th and most important game of the set.

8. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Edit that to say key game of the set.

But ends up being an easy won for Roger winning at love.

Pressure has to be on Nadal this entire set always being behind. Roger only broke Rafa once and with the momentum he has right now this may be his best chance right here. He has really come out of the break on fire.

9. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Well that was close. Federer had one break point chance against Nadal there and couldn't convert. Nadal saves to even at 4. Then Federer serves up some gems there to go up 5-4.

Nadal to serve.

10. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Holy f**k.

Did I just see that game at 6-6 in the 5th set.

It was best match I had ever seen at 2-1 in the 5th set. Now it is never going to beat for the rest of my life. I just don't know how it can be.

For Roger I keep thinking he is going to miss one of those forehands. I mean how many times can you keep hitting your first against a wall before you break your hand. Nadal is just not giving an inch and getting closer and closer to breaking Roger every service game. He has adjusted by standing farther back making it harder for Roger to ace him and thus extending the points and making Roger work. Seems to be working.

12. Horneius_Maximus

HOLY ****!HOLY ****!HOLY ****!HOLY ****!HOLY ****!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Horneius_Maximus

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Federer finally flinched. Could see it coming. His big weapon finally failed him.

Rafa serving for the match now 8-7 in the 5th set of Wimbledon final.

15. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

amazing match

16. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Congrats Rafa on your first Wimbledon title and dethroning the king of grass in one of the greatest matches ever.

Hornpharmd.....I hope you come on here and own up alot of your previous Rafa comments and in conjunction with Roger and Novak. I don't care what the rankings say the players and media know who the real number one player is and it's Rafa. Yes hornpharmd Rafa is no one trick pony on clay and it's time for you to come on here and just as you tried to do with Novak admit that Rafa is the clear number one in tennis now!! Vamos Rafa!! [​IMG]

17. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

What a match. What more can you say.

Nadal is such a gracious champion. He deserved to win this match no doubt about it. First time in 28 years anybody has won the French and Wimbledon back to back. I think you do have to call him the #1 player in the world right now. He has been closing the gap and his improvements on his serve in such a short time are just remarkable. He has the ankles and knees that remind of Vince and he just shrugs of injuries and perseveres. Guy is a true tennis champion.

The light didn't go out on Federer but the night closing in did seem symbolic in the changing of the guard and the closing on Federer's reign.

18. SigPi_Horn

SigPi_Horn 500+ Posts

McEnroe is drunk as f**k.

19. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

20. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

hornpharmd-

I think everything I had to say was justified. You were a complete dick over the last 6 months in your viewing of Rafa and your discussions and you ran off our best resident tennis fan in MikeUT00 because he was tired of your constant hating and bashing of Rafa. So yes it sure as hell does feel good to see him win and be the justified number 1 player in the world now. He was not just a clay courter as of 6 months ago you moron, just because he hadn't won another slam other than the french doesn't mean he can't play and compete on other surfaces. You don't necessarily have to have won other grand slams, I mean hell he did make the Wimbledon finals for the 3rd year in a row right? Again, thanks for running off Mike, you're a real winner pops.

21. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

i honestly thought roger was the better player out there. had a **** load more winners and like 25 aces against the best returner in the game.... he just had way too many unforced errors. blew it at 4-1 in the 2nd. i was impressed the way he came back and won the next two sets in tiebreaker fashion. i really thought he'd take the 5th set too with all that momentum but just hit too many balls long and into the net on rather easy balls from nadal. ooh well.

great great match. rafa deserves credit where credit is due. i just honestly thought roger looked like the better player out there.

22. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

People if you beat Roger on his court and on grass where he hasn't lost in like 45 matches, you were the best player on the court that day. Not sure how anyone can say Roger was the best player out there today....in the 5th set alone Rafa had Roger on the ropes in 3 of his service games with multiple break points where as Roger only had 1 on Rafas serve. Roger's only chance was for there to be a 5th set tie-breaker, which gladly Wimbledon doesn't have, meaning you have to earn the break and match. Not taking anything away from Roger and the match he played but Rafa was the clear best player on the court today.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Hasn't he had recurring or lingering injuries? It seems people only do great against him when he is injured. I could be wrong, nobody is perfect, not even Roger Federererer. He is not the type to EVER make mention of it and would prob. deny he is hurt or has been hurting.

Nadal is a badass too though. It should be fun watching these two go at it as well as the emergence of the Serb's in both men and women's sides.

24. MaxHorn

MaxHorn 250+ Posts

I never thought anything could top those Borg-McEnroe matches, but I was wrong. Amazing stuff.

It's almost 100 degrees outside, but I'm hitting the court now. Clearly I have much work to do...

25. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Roger looked better?!? Look at some of the shots Rafa made...there were a reason for all those unforced errors. It wasn't like Roger forgot how to play well today.

26. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I would be interested to see what the winning percentage of points that went to 5 hits or more was. It seemed like if the point got into a rally, Roger was in trouble.

I absolutely thought that Nadal looked like the better tennis player today, but Roger won several points on aces or service winners. I was pulling for Roger, but I felt like he needed to be lucky to win.

HOWEVER, I felt like Roger had the occasional spectacular shot that Rafael didn't have. Nadal could run everything down (like Chang in his early days) and he was beating the **** out of the ball all day long. But occasionally, Roger would whip out a forehand that looked like it was hot out of a cannon. Deep, at an angle, or both that was just too much for anyone to handle. It was on these points when I thought- "Roger can actually play some points at a level that Nadal doesn't seem to have, but he plays most points at a level below Nadal's."

So congratulations Nadal. There's no question he's the best in the world right now. I don't know if Roger can turn back the clock to a few years ago and play like he did in his best point for the whole match, but he'll be looking up at #1 from this year on.

PS- I don't think that Gwen Stefani is much of a tennis fan. [​IMG]

27. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Both guys were playing amazing most of the match. Federer played a bad first set in comparison. 2nd set he player really well initially and had a 4-1 lead, 4-2 on his own racket. McEnroe made several comments regarding this and I believe he is right that Federer should have won that set but pissed it away. Rafa of course played great to win it but Roger should have been able to hold or at least force a tiebreak. 3rd and 4th sets were basically draws both going tiebreaks and Federer just stepping it up enough to win both of those. That is what he usually does...step it up at the biggest moments. Back to McEnroe's comments though. What he was saying is that if Federer had won the 2nd set he likely wins the match.

Neither player dominated in any way. A few points here or there in any given game andthe outcome is likely different...either Rafa wins more easily or Roger wins in 4 sets. As it was it was a great match. First guy to flinch lost and that was Roger.

The biggest thing that stood out in this match was how well Nadal served. He was able to open up the court with a high first serve%. Roger struggled to even get break points.

You could argue that Roger played better the last 3 sets but who cares. Best guy won.

28. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

29. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

ya know VY, looking at your history and seeing you have only been on here since 7/23/07 I have to wonder what your previous username was?

30. vy2005

vy2005 250+ Posts

Last comment I'm making on this thread. I can assure you I am not MikeUT00. I have spoken to him over e-mail and PM's several times about your idiotic hate and lack of props to Rafa. The fact that it took today for you to just now give him props makes you an idiot. He's won tourneys on grass, clay, hardcourts, and indoor before today pal. Maybe in your little mind did rafa have to win today to prove to you he was worthy of this praise and all court dominance, but most of us other intelligent fans knew he was way before today. End of discussion and don't bother coming back replying with anymore nonsense. I don't care and I'm done sir. Thanks a bunch.