===== 2010 F1 Season Thread =====

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mandingo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Yeah...and of course it's easy for me to say it all came down to that one mistake, because that's what happened at the end, but if not for the team, he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

Alonso had a good take on it...saying basically that they win and lose as a team (wish some folks around here could get that concept), and that they had opportunities to score more points several times throughout the season and missed those. I forgot which article it was, but he put it very nicely.

l00p, I have a feeling there's going to be plenty of F1 related news to keep you and all of us busy this off-season. Young driver's test this week...New Pirelli tire testing next week...Track developments in Austin and elsewhere...rule changes...driver lineup changes...possible track configuration changes (they're already pressuring Abu Dhabi to reconfigure for some/any overtaking following this past Sunday's bore-fest)...technological development rumors...off-season testing...and much, much more.

The Link

Just like football in Texas, the F1 season truly never ends. They've already started developing next season's cars. Of course, next season is only 4 months away!

In fact, I'm going to change the name of this thread to the "2010 F1 Off-season" thread, or something like that, so we can just keep it all here. Then in the spring, I'll just change it again. One neverending thread.

ETA: Check that...can't edit a thread this old...

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

The Z & P Commission approved the cut & fill variances for FTP 5-1!

Thanks go out to everyone who helped by sending in their emails!!

Now let's all get ready to do it all over again for the City Council vote Thursday night. I believe that's the last major hurdle to clear before dirt can fly...

I'll follow this later with more info. Again, thanks everyone who is showing your support for this effort!

3. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Finally got a chance to watch it last night. I thought there was a good bit of drama at the end-- Alonso desperately trying to get past Petrov, and even a fantastic overtaker like Hamilton having problems slipping round the other Renault.

When I was working at AMD I was a big Ferrari fan, but now I don't have much of a constructor preference. It was good to see yet another new face win the championship, and I'm hoping for even more surprises next season.

4. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Austin F1 Fans...Important Austin City Council Meeting coming up TOMORROW Morning!!!Your emails and/or attendance are greatly appreciated. Please help me get as many people on this as possible...I've been told the Z&P Commissioners commented on how many emails were sent for yesterday's hearing, and that it made a difference. Let's do it again!!Thanks in advance, guys!

Tim

Please show your support for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix (tm):

(1) TODAY, by emailing Austin City Council members at the addresses below before tomorrow, Thursday, 11/18/10. Also, be sure to sign your name:

lee.leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us
    bill.spelman@ci.austin.tx.us
    randi.shade@ci.austin.tx.us
    chris.riley@ci.austin.tx.us
    mike.martinez@ci.austin.tx.us
    sheryl.cole@ci.austin.tx.us
    laura.morrison@ci.austin.tx.us

I'd like to take this opportunity to note that all proceedings with the City of Austin have been mutually amicable. The City has been working in good faith to help the developers move the project along and stay on schedule. Please let your emails reflect that by sending a positive, friendly message for F1, it's teams, it's sponsors, and most importantly it's fans.

Below is one possible draft email that you may copy and paste or simply use as a framework for your own original email. Feel free to edit as you see fit.

[quote title=Quote:]Dear Mayor and Council members,

As a strong advocate for bringing Formula 1 racing to Austin, Texas, I urge you to approve items #2 and #3 on the agenda for November 18 (service extension request and development reimbursement for water & wastewater improvements for the region that includes the United States Grand Prix site). These items are consistent with past requests made throughout Austin’s ETJ and have been recommended by City staff and the Water and Wastewater Commission. Additionally, the Environmental Board and Zoning and Platting Commission have recommended variances related to this project.

Supporting these variances will bring this project a step closer to becoming a reality. I am eager for the arrival of Formula 1 in Austin, Texas, and urge you to support these matters.

Sincerely,

Supporter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix (tm) in Austin, Texas

5. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Maldonado to Williams #2 seat.

The Link

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mandingo how do we handle the offseasn? Start a new thread or keep on keeping onm with this one?

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

See the new thread for your answer!

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks. Once dirt start flying are we going to start a new thread for the USGP?

9. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

sure...maybe a site development thread or something...

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds good. If something isn't working by the 15th they will miss the "Dirt flying in December" goal.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds good. If something isn't working by the 15th they will miss the "Dirt flying by December" goal.