===== 2010 F1 Season Thread =====

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mandingo, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

More reason for me to dislike Vettel. Don't know why, but just not a fan. I thought no team orders was just ridiculous. I officially now like Fred more than Vettel, though he's always been my most hated driver.

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Here's: Who needs what to win the title...

Just fyi, Alonso has 5 wins.

As for Red Bull and team orders, it certainly would have been smart of them to use them and get Webber within a point of Fred, but then Red Bull management's golden boy, Vettel, would have his chances at the WDC reduced dramatically...and who knows if he would have listened anyway. Of course, there are those who say that the overheating front tires and overheating engine radio transmissions to Webber were merely veiled team orders denying him the opportunity to take the fight to Vettel. That would be team orders. He was faster at the time, so that theory is believable, imho. He had also been fighting a lot of traffic, too, so the transmissions could easily be taken at face value, imho. Either is believable enough, imho.

3. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

I hated the safety car restart. I know what they're trying to do, but its messy.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

For whatever reason, F1 just cannot get the Safety Car right. They go by physical position on the track rather than actual position in the race. At least this year they are picking up the leader.

Thanks for the readd on Alonso Mandingo.

5. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Agree re: the SC. They just can't seem to get it right. Don't know why.

Also, after the bad engine run Alonso had earlier in the season, who would have predicted he'd have the freshest engine on the grid going into the final race?

He has used his 8th engine for the last 5 races and now it looks like he and Lewis have the two freshest engines out there.

Graphic & Story: The Link

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would like to see a breakdown report on Alonso's #8 at the end of the season just to see how close it was to failing.

There will be games played during all 3 practices this weekend by all 4 of the contenders just attempting to gain a mental edge. Without going out on to thin of a limb I will predict that one of the 4 will lose out due to a problem related to the team/car (i.e. not a driving mistake).

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The annual "Australia is in trouble" issue and RAIN in Abu Dhabi! Link

8. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Felipe & Fernando go for a little ride on the world's fastest roller coaster at the Ferrari Theme Park in Abu Dhabi:

The Link

[​IMG]

I wonder if this is how Nando's face always reacts to 0-150 in 4.9 seconds.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

omg I HAVE to go there if just for that!

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

11. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Ferrari World. Now THAT is a planet I could really enjoy living on... [​IMG]

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Do they have a newsletter? T-shirts? I am a T-shirt fan of Ferrari World.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The good Hamilton has reverted to the bad Hamilton.

14. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

The last 2 laps of Qualy were very tense as well. What I found remarkable was Ferrari's pace on the Primes in Q2. The Speed guys didn't seem to notice, but Alonso set his 1:40.4 on Primes., then went on to run 1:39.7 on the options in Q3. I don't know what RB's best Prime run was, but it sure would be an interesting comparison.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

<<<Pardon me for this, but I'm going to go ahead and put this o/t post here, because I wanna get as many people on this as possible.>>>To all Supporters of Formula 1,

Please show your support for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix (TM) this Tuesday, November 16:

(1) By emailing the Zoning and Platting Commission members at the addresses below before Tuesday, and be sure to sign your name:

I'd like to take this opportunity to note that all proceedings with the City of Austin have been mutually amicable. The City has been working in good faith to help the developers move the project along and stay on schedule. Please let your emails reflect that by sending a positive, friendly message for F1 and it's fans.

bbaker5@austin.rr.com
    sbald@sbcglobal.net
    gbourgeois@jonescarter.com
    trabago@austin.rr.com
    prseeger@austin.rr.com
    crbanks@hotmail.com
    donna.zap@gmail.com

Below is one possible draft email that you may copy and paste or simply use as a framework for your own original email. Feel free to edit as you see fit.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to the man who won the championship this year by 4 points over the other guy. No spoilers.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A tense but rather unevetful race. Hamilton could not keep tires under himself and Ferrari most probably miscalcualted on Alonso's pit stop.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Williams let Hulkenberg go today. Someone is going to get a very good driver.

19. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

20. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

22. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

For all the drama surrounding the four contenders, the race itself didn't have a lot of action. It looks like Ferrari rolled the dice, and it backfired big time on Alonso.
    Maybe Red Bull favored Vettel per your conspiracy theories, but it looks like they just didn't issue any team orders, which is how it is supposed to work. I may be completely wrong, but both drivers still had a chance, so that may be the reason no orders were issued.
    And there will be a park like FerrariWorld in Austin, only here it will be called PriusWorld. [​IMG]

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Webber screwed the pooch in qualifying. Had they been 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 things could have been dicey. But Vettel took control and Webber, not so much when he needed to.

Vettel almost won how many races? Yes, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades but he was soooo close so often. In many ways he was the dominant driver this year and I think he deserved it. Amazing yet not surprising that one pit stop gone just a couple of seconds long can cost you a possible World Championship.

I was glad to see Hamilton's record of being youngest taken by somebody else even if just by a couple of months. Can you just freaking imagine what it feels like to achieve this so young? I drank a Red Bull today just because. (okay, I was a little bit tired and needed wings)

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Yup, it was as simple as that. I could not understand what was going on but it unfolded right in front of us.

What to watch now?!

I like the new cars idea for WRC with the partial season coming from Mini and a full one the year after. VW, Skoda and Toyota (with Red Bull) are among teams in the mix now or to be again as these cars are cheaper to manufacture.

But I have to wait at least 4 months!!!

Mandingo Won Kenobi, help me, you are the only one who can save me. What the f**k do I watch now other than press releases about our track?

26. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Remember everyone...Zoning & Platting Commission hearing tonight.

5:45 at City Hall Chambers!

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

l00p and everyone else, here's a little something you might enjoy...
    The Link

I'll probably add some things to that later on to give a taste of what it was like.

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Oh here's something else to keep you busy:

Young Driver's F1 Test at Abu Dhabi:

Australian rookie Daniel Ricciardo, driving the RB6, posted the best time of 1:40.803 in the first session. That time would have placed him P10 on the grid Sunday.

In the next session, he was fastest again with a 1:39.616, which would have put him P3 on the grid.

Pastor Maldonado, in the second session, was well faster than either of the HRT drivers' Q times, with a 1:43.750. That's 1.3s faster than Klien and 1.5 s faster than Senna.

IMHO, this just underscores what we already knew, that the RB6 was fastest this year by quite a bit. The fact that Alonso, in the third fastest car, led the driver's championship with a race left (and would have won if not for a team tactical error) is testament to his abilities and to Red Bull's mismanagement of their rather sizable advantage. The WDC should have been wrapped up by RBR weeks ago.

The Link

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts