2010 Texas = 2009 Alabama ???

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeChipper, Aug 27, 2010.

1. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

Thought about this comparison the other day and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. hey, its still technically the off-season for one more week. [​IMG]

It isn't quite Kennedy vs. Lincoln similar, but as you will see... The similarities are solid.

Gilbert will be a first year starter this year who saw limited action as a backup. Mcelroy was a first year starter last year who saw limited action as a backup til '09.

Gilbert was a highly heralded recruit and was the gatorade POY. "The son of former NFL quarterback Gale Gilbert, he attended Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas, where he broke the state record for most passing yards in a season with 4,827 yards during his junior season.[3] The record was previously held by Graham Harrell. Gilbert again broke the same record his senior season, after compiling 4,851 passing yards. He finished his high school career with 12,537 passing yards, another state record which was previously held by Harrell.[4]"

fromThe Link

Mcelroy was the state of Texas player of the year his senior season of High school also. "McElroy's 56 touchdown passes ranks first all-time in the Texas 5A classification,[5] and second all-time in Texas high school football history, only behind Graham Harrell's 67 touchdowns in 2003.[8] His 4,646 yards passing currently ranks fifth all-time in Texas.[8]"

FromThe Link

Both also won the state championship their senior years of high-school.

Because of Mcelroy's relative inexperience... the Bama staff made a concerted effort to rely more on the running game and their defense. Sound familiar?

Bama struggled offensively in spurts but anchored by their strong running game and their defense they went unbeaten. In 5 of their 14 wins last year their opponents were either leading or within one fg in the 4th qtr. That's not domination. (see 2005 Texas or USC for that) But although not dominant, it was more than enough to get them through their tough schedule.

So given the off-season's focus on defense and a more conservative offensive game plan with a bigger rushing focus... why can't we be 2009 'Bama?

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That's just a Gilbert-McElroy comparison, not really a UT-Alabama comparison.

Just because we play good D and want to emphasize the run more doesn't make us similar to a team that plays good D and runs the ball very well with 2 of the best backs in the nation.

3. DVPMD

DVPMD 500+ Posts

doesn't hurt that mcelroy who looked pretty ******* awful against us had 2 stud RBs in the backfield, one who won the heisman.

Gilbert on the other hand? let's see how the RB field works out.

4. OrangeChipper

I apparently didn't communicate my main point very well.

A. Our BIGGEST question mark coming into 2010 was the same as Bama's in 09.

B. Bama overcame a mediocre at best offense in 09 because their defense was so damn good.

So basically... EVEN IF gilbert doesn't perform up to snuff. We can get to the MNC.

We already know that Bama was a top 5 defense last year. But have you seen their offensive numbers. (pun intended)

They were #92 in passing offense last year. They were #42 in total offense.

Basically, a good defense can overcome a mediocre offense.

Look at the top 5 defenses from last year statistically.

#1. TCU.
    #2. Bama
    #3.Texas
    #4. Florida
    #5. Ohio State.

Is it any wonder that all 5 of those finished in the top 10??

Given our top 5 likely defense this year. Our ceiling is very high. As long as we limit turnovers we CAN do what Bama did last year. (Bama was #4 in t/o margin last year, btw.)

5. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

McElroy was the worst QB to take the field that night. By a large margin.

6. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

If we are the 92 passing offense and 42 in total offense, there will be no comparison, we might even be talking about Greg Davis again.

McElroy was probably the 4th best qb to take the field that night, McCoy, Gilbert, Harris and then McEelroy. Those SLC QB's don't amount to much outside a system that is rigged for all Juniors and Seniors to play at SLC.

Somebody do not throw Chase Daniel in my face, he did next to nothing at Missouri has been cut by one NFL team and I think might be cut by the Saints.

8. DVPMD

DVPMD 500+ Posts

next to nothing at Mizzou? come on man, fine he didn't win a conference or national title, but he had a pretty respectable stint there.

can we also please get off the one bad season and greg davis is gone nonsense. hasn't the guy done enough, most recently with a QB named Colt McCoy who a lot of people didn't expect very much from when took over the starter's job. during davis' time, we've got a couple solid RBs in the league and a bunch of OL and WRs who are making solid contributions on NFL teams. he's done a pretty good job coaching.

9. sinless1

sinless1 500+ Posts

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

11. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Our biggest question is the same as it has been for 3 years.

Is our o line going to crap itself or not?

12. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I don't see the similarty. Alabama's staple last year was a that they could run the ball with their 2 big horses, they had a big time WR target in Jones, and then they were solid in the middle on defense with their big DTs and McClain. You look at Texas roster this year and our strengths just aren't in these areas. Texas is a team that is getting bigger and stronger, but that's strength is still in its speed and versatility.

13. OrangeChipper

My premise was more focused on generalities and outcomes.

Bama just wasn't a dominant offensive team last year. We likely won't be either.

But because their D was so dominant, they overcame those deficiencies.

I see a similar year for UT. We will struggle, but if we can win the turnover battle and win the kicking game, we may win all our games this year.... even if several are ugly.

Again, not making a position by position comparison necessarily. But saying that there is no reason why UT 2010 can't do what Bama 2009 did.

We have at least as much talent as they had.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

15. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

About Greg Davis, all I was saying is that if we end up 92nd in passing and 42 in total, the Greg Davis posts will start...........

Yes, we can do what Alabama did last year but Texas 2010 does not EQUAL Alabama 2009. I am no longer sure what your post was about, first you say they are equal then you compare their offenses and defenses, completely different, then you say that Texas 2010 could do what Alabama 2009 did.................................ok, so could 120 other teams.

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I saw McElroy several times last season and wasn't impressed. I'll take Gilbert any day of the week and twice on Sundays.