2010 World Cup roster

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SyracuseHorn, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

I know it's early, but I was thinking about the roster for the 2010 World Cup.Barring injury, the guys in bold are locks. I don't want to list the whole player pool, just the guys with a legit chance to make the roster. No slow-footed 30+ year old wing players need apply.Who am I ommitting?GK (3 in 2006)
    Howard
    Hahnemann
    Guzan

Defenders (8 in 2006):
    Cherundolo
    Bocanegra
    Onyewu
    Bornstein

Spector
    Simek
    Conrad
    Parkhurst
    Demerit
    Wynne
    Califf
    Joy
    Robionson
    Moor

Midfield (8 in 2006)
    Donovan
    Bradley
    Beasley

Feilhaber
    Adu
    Edu
    Clark
    Convey
    Mapp
    Zizzo
    Davis
    Noonan

Forward (4 in 2006)
    Altidore
    E. Johnson
    Dempsey

Davies
    Twellman
    Ferrari
    J. Johnson

2. SchertzHorn

SchertzHorn 100+ Posts

I think that Altidore will be starting at Forward and will be one of the faces of US soccer going into the 2010 WC. I like the energy/swagger he has on the field. Look for him to continue to grow and mature into a world class player.

3. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

I hope you're right - I like Altidore quite a bit. He's still got to prove he can play at the International level, but I think by 2010, he'll be our best forward.

4. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Twellman and Noonan. [​IMG]
    It's too bad we can't trade a couple of midfielders to Brazil, Italy or Argentina for a striker. Actually, they probably don't need our midfielders. But, it would be nice to have a quality striker. If Altidore can live up to expectations, he may be our first, true international caliber striker. Too bad Adu couldn't grow another 6 inches. [​IMG]
    I like our midfield and goalies. Defense I'm somewhat ok with. Forwards... [​IMG]

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Why is it that as Americans we never seem to have a single guy who can finish?

6. Seabrook

Seabrook 25+ Posts

It's got to be a scouting issue. I played with guys in high school that looked like better strikers than some I see on the national team. I think if you don't go to the Bradenton Academy or have a relative in high places, you don't get noticed.

7. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

If we don't give Adu a spot on the 2010 team, can he still go to Ghana? Or is he locked into playing for the US now?

8. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

Adu has appeared in some frienlies (at least 1) with the full team. He's cap tied, with very little wiggle room. I can't imagine that he won't be a part of the US squad in 2010, but hs'e not a lock quite yet.

9. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

Adu has to play in an "official" match: i.e. a world cup qualifier, world cup game, a confederation championship, or any other FIFA-sanctioned tourney (the only other being the Confed cup) match. Since Adu has yet to do any of those, he is still eligible to play for Ghana. So he will be officially tied to the US if he plays this summer in the first batch of qualifiers.

I am curious if the Ghanan FF contacted him to see about playing in the Africa Cup of Nations tourney...which is taking place in Ghana.

10. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Adu mentioned a long time ago about keeping his options open, but having made two appearances in friendlies since, as well as captaining the U-20 World Cup team this summer (and putting in a brilliant performance which eventually led to his transfer to Benfica this summer), Ghana hoping for Freddy to play for them is like American fans hoping Rossi will play for us. Ain't gonna happen.

There's always a few players that come out of nowhere right before the World Cup that end up making the team. There's a kid named Jose Angulo who plays striker (just signed to New England) that is badass, and could end up on the 2010 team.

Twellman and Noonan should not even be consideration for 2010. They are terrible at the international level.

11. dallas_the_tiger

dallas_the_tiger 100+ Posts