2011 UT vs. aggy: Thursday or Saturday?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Septimus, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Septimus

Septimus 250+ Posts

I'm seeing conflicting reports on our game with aggy next season. I assumed that it would be on Thanksgiving again, as this website says, but the official site and nationalchamps.net say that it is going to be on Saturday, November 26th.

Does anyone know which is correct, or if it has even been decided yet? I'm wondering if they are simply waiting for an official announcement with ABC/ESPN, because we've played on Thanksgiving the past two times in Austin and only once in College Station. I personally hope it's on Saturday because it's the only way I'll be able to make it to the game, I'm just not sure which sources are correct.

Anyone have any reliable info?

2. Septimus

Septimus 250+ Posts

3. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

T'giving is no bueno

4. OrangEngr

OrangEngr 25+ Posts

I really hope they don't/wouldn't move the game to Saturday. One of the nice things about the game is that there really isn't any other (college) game on at the time, so we get full attention. I would think that if they moved it away from Thursday, they would move it back to Friday where it was. Mackbrown-texasfootball lists it as Saturday also, but that may be just an automatic placeholder, to determine the weekly schedule.

5. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I love it on Thanksgiving. If they do move it from T-day, then I'd hope for Saturday, since Friday T+1 is not actually a holiday.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I have never had a problem with Thanksgiving and always wanted it moved back. However, after reading many posts from people who it does affect and why, I don't want it on that day any longer. I prefer our people not interrupting their family plans AND getting to travel to the game. I live about a mile from the stadium so it does not matter to me so I defer to what matters to others.

7. No le hace

No le hace 500+ Posts

Mack's site says it's on the 26th. [​IMG]

8. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Sat. 26th

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I prefer the game not be on Thanksgiving and appreciate loop's attitude about it. I don't like a family holiday impacted by the game. I've been hosting Thanksgiving on Friday because of the Thursday game. I'd prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day.

10. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

And then there's those like me who don't feel the game on Thursday interferes at all with family/friends Thanksgiving, in fact adds to the festive day.

Thanksgiving isn't a religous holiday afterall, though based in thanks to God, it's a national holiday, not one that comes from any religion.

So we go back and forth, those wanting it on Thanksgiving, those for Friday, those for Saturday; hell, why not on Sunday?

Whatever.

11. Crusher X

Crusher X 250+ Posts

Love the game on Thanksgiving. Especially home games. Our T-day tailgate is always the best of the year!! I've sworn that I will never go back to College Station. I've been there enough for 1 lifetime. Seen 'em win and lose there. So, when we play at Aggy, I watch from the comforts of home.

12. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I grew up with the game on Thanksgiving. It's always felt to me like sacrilege playing it on any other day.

13. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

my vote: split the difference:

Friday at 7pm or 8pm

Thursday - family stuff. no good.
    Saturday - not unique. no good.
    Friday - in the evening, people who work all day on Friday can still go. good.

14. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Friday or Saturday is fine.

Just don't mess with our every other year celebration (when we spend Thanksgiving in Dallas and not in Austin).

Putting it on Thursday makes it impossible for us to both fully celebrate Thanksgiving with family in Dallas and get to the game in College Station in time for kick-off.

Any day but Thursday, please.

But most UT fans I know won't ever go to an Aggie game in College Station ever again. So it makes no difference to them.

15. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I agree 100% with l00p's attitude towards family Thanksgivings.

17. Septimus

Septimus 250+ Posts

So I'm detecting a concensus that this game is set for Saturday, and that it's going to stay that way.

I hope that's the case, as long as it's not another god awful 10 am kickoff like they had back in the late 90's.

18. wearorange

wearorange 100+ Posts

I have mixed emotions about Thanksgiving for all the above reasons. However if it is not on T or T+1, I feel they should move it to the 1st Sat in Dec. for showcase reasons since their won't be a big 12 championship game that day..

19. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Sure, if it's not on Thanksgiving, no reason at all not to move it to that first Saturday in December. It's been on that Saturday before.