2016 recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Dec 8, 2014.

1. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

There was a tweet earlier this week that said she was down to ucla, Indiana, and Michigan. And she was going to take visits to Michigan and Indiana in the coming weeks.

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  4. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Excited about seeing this young lady in a Longhorn uniform!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

KA has steadily built a new level of competitiveness on this team.

[/incompetency alert] I admit I was unimpressed when Karen was chosen four years ago, but began to see the light in her second season when her program was fully implemented and the team improved from 8th to 3rd in the B12.

In my eyes she hit absolute home runs with Lashann and Alecia.

When I watch Lashann play, I see lightning in a bottle. Others have commented on her ability, both positive and negative, but just watch her grow into an All-Big12 player by her Jr year. Just enjoy.

In time, Alecia will be seen as special. Not only for her own skills, but her ability to make teammates like Lashann better. Can you imagine those two guarding each other everyday in practice? Others are more cautious and conservative as to how soon that will occur - perhaps wisely so - but I expect to watch her scrimmaging on campus later this summer. Alecia will be ready.

My intent is not to catalogue every great player on this team, but to emphasize that special kids grow enormously if they posses the desire to be great. Look to what Ariel accomplished in just two years. Thrust into a starting role and hampered by injury, her shooting improved from .363 to .536. It takes a little time, but the results will be fun to watch the next few years.

Thank you, Karen.

• Like Like x 5
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Jada has been on campus a couple of days:

• Like Like x 2
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Corsaro to UCLA.

8. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Thanks, another loose end tied up. Karen doesn't share these things with me, but it would surprise me if she offered.

9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I wonder why UCLA has gotten to be so popular. They did give us a tough game. It's funny how certain schools get to be "in." UCLA now appears on so many lists. It is a beautiful place, there below the mountains in Westwood, but WBB may be a little lost in that huge metro area with so many sports teams. Of course, WBB seems a little lost here, too, sometimes with the amount of press coverage we get. Texas Tech is coming back to life alarmingly fast. I don't think the town itself influences many people. If it did, why would anybody go to Baylor, OU, OSU, TTU, Louisville, and many others.

10. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

You're right, Ucla just like Texas has gotten very popular among recruits. I'm more impressed with a program like Ucla in recruiting than the schools like baylor who should be able to get top players because of the success that they've had. I think it has to do with the beautiful location, but also Close and her coaching staff. Just like in men's basketball the relationships with not just the head coach but also the assistant coaches are more important than anything.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

UCLA has definitely turned up their recruiting the last 2-3 years. Glad we beat them out for Chasity Patterson despite her official visit out there a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Texas WBB and MBB working in the community today - Jody Conradt, Shaka Smart and a few of the freshmen - Jada, Alecia, James Banks (6' 11" - stands out a bit) and Jacob Young. Also Lashann, Brianna, Jordan and Mide.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

UCLA has an excellent reputation, academically, as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Was wondering if someone other than me realized that.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The thing is, UCLA's campus has always been a selling feature; but, until Close took over, they weren't signing the level of players they have been since her arrival. So, the x-factor is Close and/or her coaching staff.

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Nikki Caldwell had some pretty good recruiting success as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

18. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Awesome! With this incoming talent, I have no doubt a NC is in our not-too-distant future.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know Texas was eliminated sometime ago but Ionescu finally made her decision:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Ionescou number 4 in nation. With her Oregon got a good top ten class with #s 4, 14, 49, 51 and a couple of others close to the top 100. They were 9-9 in Pac 12 last year. Maybe they'll start moving up, but she definitely bet on the come. Maybe she just likes the place. Her brother plays there.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hope this can hold you over until November:

• Like Like x 1
  22. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

All three look great in Texas uniforms! :hookem2:

23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hmmm...Just checked to make sure but Ariel's been wearing #24.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I've never brought this up before, but since it's the offseason, does anyone dislike our burnt orange road uniforms like I do? Way too much black. The numbers/letters should be white with black outline instead of the other way around. And, the Longhorn logo should be white instead of black; you can barely see it on the burnt orange shorts. Okay, I feel better now.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. Much cleaner, classic look with white numbers - not a fan of the sloppy, run-together lettering but:
    [​IMG]

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looking good for Alecia:

“She's doing really well. She's been on campus for a few weeks under our care and she is progressing really well,” Longhorns associate athletic trainer Heidi Wlezien said. “We're definitely still looking at her to be full participation when the season starts. There is no reason she shouldn't be ready. As far as the timeline goes, she's right where she should be."

Full article - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

• Like Like x 2
  27. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Great news on Alecia. Gotta disagree about the uniforms. Love all the black on the orange. Are these the ones we wore against Uconn? I remember thinking how great the unis looked that night.

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'd rather do away with the road orange altogether and stick with the black with white letters/numbers trimmed in burnt orange.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I have to say I agree with joedallas! Love the Black trim on the Burnt Orange! Gives the uniform depth and really highlights the TEXAS on the front! Like him again they looked awesome against UConn! I don't really care for the Black uniforms though. But as a change of pace once or twice a year they are OK!

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think what bothers me the most on our burnt uniform is the black Longhorn logo; you can barely see it; just make it white.

I do like our black road uniforms; and, we wear them so seldom. I don't care for the shade of gray used for our alternate home uniforms. If I remember correctly, they look kind of smoky; perhaps a lighter silver gray would look better.

I have noticed that our softball team and men's hoops team wear a dark anthracite gray for some games instead of black; look pretty good.