2016 recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great news. She had an ACL injury and missed most of her junior season, but she seems like one of those energy players who can score and rebound.

http://starlocalmedia.com/mesquiten...cle_e74b2b3a-c3cc-11e4-9eac-33c9dec407e8.html

Horn's fortunes might have been much different if not for the injury suffered by star Jada Underwood, who was averaging 24.3 points, 13.2 rebounds and 6.4 assists when she was lost for the season in early December.

http://starlocalmedia.com/mesquiten...cle_fb75a26c-800a-11e4-9c99-172fbdd4267c.html

Despite those losses, Horn returns plenty of firepower, as they have shown during their 10-3 start and that group is led by junior Jada Underwood. One of the top national prospects in the Class of 2016, Underwood was named 12-5A co-most valuable player after averaging 17 points, 11.7 rebounds and 5.1 assists last season. At 6-0, Underwood has the size to play in the paint but also has the range and ball-handling skills to be effective on the perimeter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Her twitter shows congratulatory tweets from 2016 standouts, Joyner Holmes, Natalie Chou, and Ciera Johnson, and 2017 Longhorn commit, DiDi Richards.

https://twitter.com/jada_underwood

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Analysis on Underwood from 2 years ago:

http://peachstatebasketball.com/pea...ballin-com-eval-camp-upperclass-mar-4-2013-2/

Jada Underwood (Mesquite, Texas) – Mesquite Horn HS – 2016 Simply put, Underwood is a monster on the interior. The 5-11 forward is a powerful option with solid ball skill to boot. We project her as a matchup nightmare who can be very effective from the power forward position. She is strong with a build that reminds our staff of 2014 post Erica Moore of Ind. Like Moore, Underwood gets seemingly every rebound and has the touch to score the basketball consistently as well.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nice to see that. She should be fully recovered by the time she gets to Texas. We are getting some very good wings that can play inside.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

DMN: Lauren named Texas Gatorade Player of the Year

All-Area Girls Basketball: Flower Mound's Lauren Cox towered above the rest

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/all-area/20150321-all-area-girls-basketball-flower-mound-s-lauren-cox-towered-above-the-rest.ece

7. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Now that UK's season is over and their program is toast, why not go after All-SEC first team Makayla Epps who will be a Junior next year?

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I have no idea what this means. You can't "go after" a player on someone else's team; that is called "tampering". Once a college player is granted a release, then they be contacted by other college programs.

9. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nothing to tamper with; the program has been de-funded.

10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

You must have them confused with some other school

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You are definitely confused. Kentucky will actually be hosting 3 regionals in a row beginning next season at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY.

12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

13. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Is this paper like The Onion? Sounds like it.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Title is a bit misleading as the coach is her AAU coach who wants her to make the U19 USA team rather than be playing on his AAU team this summer.

ESPNW: Why One Coach Doesn't Want No. 1 Junior Lauren Cox On His Team

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12560895/why-one-coach-want-no-1-junior-lauren-cox-team

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like Cox won't make a decision until after she takes her official visits in the Fall.

16. LeoBenz74

LeoBenz74 25+ Posts

I really like Cox, but I really love Holmes, I wonder when she will make a decision? We need someone that can shoot lights on from 3 point land.

17. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Cox....She was here at least 2 times....but, we do need a really good 3 point shooter, for sure....

18. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I read recently that Texas went to watch Phoebe Serba of Cleveland, Oh, described as a 6-1 sharpshooting wing player. That suggests to me that the staff agrees with you about the need for a shooter. I've been thinking we need a post and a big/tall shooting guard.

OOPS - sterba, not serba.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's a new name for sure. Sterba is a sophomore, so she would be class of 2017.

20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

21. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Amber Rameriz has opened up her recruitment per Twitter. We could definitely use her!

22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

No question, we could really use a pure shooter on this team. Amber Rameriz would be a great get.

23. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Alecia Sutton is our Point Guard in the 2016 class. Texas needs posts and forwards more than anything else in this class. Holmes and Cox would be nice.

24. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Amber Ramirez is listed as a pg, but she could just as easily be a combo guard. She plays on the ball and off the ball in high school. I would love to get Joyner Holmes because I think she's a transcendent talent. But I would rather have Ramirez than Cox, we need post players but we really need a pure shooter more than anything. Coach Aston wants to play inside out, but if you can't make perimeter jump shots it's hard to do that.

25. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

No way, we NEED Cox!! She's a kid that could be an All-American POY candidate. Her game translates very well at the next level. I would certainly take Ramirez, not over cox though

• Like Like x 1
  26. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

You can find post players who can be just as effective as Cox. Cox is a skilled 4/5 that can move her feet well. Her ability to move her feet on defense is what I like the most about her. But she's not a physical anchor down in the post. You can't find very many shooters like Ramirez, whether she's catching and shooting or off the dribble. The achilles heel of this team and the future roster is consistant perimeter shooting. Yes, I would rather have Ramirez than Cox. In my opinion the most important ability to have as a team in basketball is the ability to shoot the ball well from the perimeter, look at the best teams in the country, that's what they all have in common.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  27. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I've watched Amber play for years, and I can actually always say that i've thought Brooke was they better player/shooter of the two and we see how Brooke's shooting was off and on throughout the year. That is why as a coach you would always want a low post player with extended range. You wont find too many players that can average a double double at the next level and she has that ability. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that when we talk about this a few years from now Cox will have a bigger impact to her team

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

With Alecia and Jada in the fold for 2016, the need is for posts. We will have four players capable of playing PG. Amber is about as good an outside shooter as I have seen. Before both Alecia and Jada committed, I was hoping that we would land Amber. Without posts coming in 2016, we are looking at only Jordan and Christina as the only true posts on the roster for 2017. We need at least two posts in 2016. As of now, we got 17 players on the roster, 16 on scholarship. Something will need to happen this summer before the fall starts. Have to wonder who is going to miss the Europe trip this August.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We definitely need some long-range shooters, and some post players. We could use those shooters for 2015-16, but unless we plan to sign someone during the Spring signing period (and have more attrition), that most likely isn't going to happen.

I was very surprised when Amber committed to OSU back in later October; a week earlier, she was on an unofficial visit at Texas and attending on of our practices (perhaps the first of the season). A couple of weeks later, Alecia Sutton commits to Texas. So, it's anyone's guess exactly what transpired, and if one player's actions affected the other's future regarding Texas.

Amber was named San Antonio's player of the year, and made 91 (of 227) 3-pointers:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...etball-Wagner-s-Ramirez-takes-E-N-6179494.php

As for why she de-committed from OSU, it could be because one of their assistant coaches has left the program after the season ended. Or, it could be for a number of other reasons.

Just me, but I am expecting two players (non-seniors) on this year's roster won't return to Texas next season. Perhaps some unexpected attrition has opened up a spot for Amber . . .

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I really don't like it when this happens but I understand that there are a lot of factors that can influence a decision like that. If it does and it opens the door to someone else, well, it happens.

And while, Emily may be a walkon, all the coaches seem to be really high on her ability to shoot. I expect both Brooke and Ariel to shoot better as well.