2017 CWS

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 17, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dion,

Thus is the pimp that is the NCAA, whoring out any and every sporting event for money. Prior to the bastardization of the format for ESPN, you needed 7-10 pitchers when you went to Omaha. The new format requires two good ones and an alright one. Only problem with the old format was that worthless Friday night game, which you can argue cost Gus two or three titles, particularly the marathon, rain delayed game that ended about 330 AM Saturday morning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

2004 was best Texas baseball team I have seen in over 4 decades of following Texas baseball (maybe '83 was better but 5 players from '04 team would log time in major leagues) and I sat in Rosenblatt both games of that '04 championship series against Fullerton and watched Texas blow leads in each game in the seventh inning to lose a title that they had no business losing. 1989 was my freshman year in college so I remember it well and that loss to Wichita State was hard (yes it was first year of new format and Shockers had loss while Horns were undefeated), however, I always felt that team was Dressendorfer and a just a lot of pretty good players not an elite team. Texas finished third in the SWC that year and while it pains me to admit this, 1989 was the year I saw the second best team I have seen in all my years of watching college ball unfortunately, it was aggy. That team was incredible and took 2 of 3 from Texas during regular season and beat us two more times in the SWC tournament. They were led by Chuck Knoblach and after winning 57 or 58 games and only losing five they choked two games in a row on a Monday afternoon and then evening against LSU at home in their regional (old 6 team regional format) and didnt even make Omaha. The final baseball america poll for that year actually put aggy number 2 with Wichita State number one only because they had won the NC. Most aggy fans who closely follow college baseball will tell you that they will take that season and that lost Monday against LSU to their graves.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

In '89 we were leading the aggies in Game 2 after having won game one, we were at their place, and committed 3 errors in the bottom of the 8th to cough that game up. We had 'em and blew it.

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gators take game one of CWS championship series 4-3.

5. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Indeed we got screwed with the single elimination title game. Wichita had lost a game. Ironically that was our only post season loss. We were undefeated in the SWC tournament and undefeated in the Regional's and in CWS until the title game.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Actually, aggy best us twice in the SWC tournament that year.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I said, "IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR"!

Now, I need to mail in my donation to The Florida Foundation for the 33rd straight year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

You are correct. We were undefeated in the Regional's and CWS until the title game. That was our third title game loss of the decade. But 2004 was more of a gut punch than those other 3 put together.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gators win CWS.

10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

We kicked their *** in the finals in 2005 so I am fine with that. LSU in 2009, not so much.