2017 Potluck Dinner date set

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Following is an email detailing information about the upcoming Orange-White scrimmage on Oct. 25 and the Potluck Dinner following the scrimmage.

Please RSVP Mark if any of you are interested in attending the Potluck Dinner. :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

See you there, BabHorn. So that you can spot us, we'll be wearing burnt orange. :beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That will make you stand out! :thumbup:

4. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

We'll be there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

almost missed the official release about the potluck/scrimmage on texassports.com. I liked the old format better cuz it was easier to see everything when I use a higher zoom function so I can read the text. It's too easy to miss stuff with this new format.
    http://www.texassports.com/news/201...scrimmage-and-potluck-set-for-october-25.aspx

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Coming up next Wednesday!!

7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That official isn't pointing at Ariel - must be new.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

As I recall without any written notes:

Nice size crowd, around 200.

Texas lost the game to the practice players, 90-89 on a last second three pointer. Jatarie just missed blocking that shot. The scrimmage was a regulation four ten minute quarters. Starters for the Horns: Brooke, Ariel, Jatarie, Jordan and LaShann. Everyone played.

We got speed to burn in the backcourt. Any combo of Brooke, Ariel, LaShann, Alecia and Chasity is going to be fast and quick. At least two were on the floor all the time. All can shoot the 3. It does seem that any player can take the trey if open and that shot is one they can hit. The only player I don’t remember taking a three is Mide, although some of the shots by forwards/posts could have been long twos. Our fast break is going to be awesome. Rebounding still needs some work but there was plenty of tough boards grabbed by our players. The three point shooting is going to be more than just Brooke.

There was a period when the team had trouble inbounding the ball when pressed. Very little movement to give the inbounder a target. That was corrected after a while.

The players seem to be in very good shape. Our posts had no problems running up and down the court. Of the frosh, Chasity seemed to in excellent shape. Both Rellah and Destiny are in good shape but will be much better by conference. Rellah is a beast around the basket, able to finish through contact and rebounding. Both she and Destiny can handle the ball well and have nice looking strokes shooting from the field. My guess is that Chasity might just get enough minutes to pull off the post season FOY award. She and Brooke are not very tall for BB players but they are very fast and quick. They played together for a stretch and used their speed and quickness to get some steals and fastbreaks.

The twins are also doing better than last year, smoother in their moves, looking stronger, handling the ball well, and shooting well. Mina also showed improvement from last season in her ballhandling and shooting. Jada played solid defense and had some nice assists.

I will be surprised if Brooke and Ariel don’t at least get HM AA this season. Ariel was more controlled on defense during the scrimmage. Didn’t notice many fouls called on her.

There was some bad passing at times. Too long a pass, not taking into account the speed and jumping ability of the opponent, passing to where their teammate was and not where they were moving to causing the pass to be behind and a turnover. Nothing that more practice and familiarity with each other won’t cure. There were some very sweet passes as well.

All in all, an impressive offensive show by all. Defense will be better. Brooke appears to be the starting PG although she played SG when Alecia or Chasity were on the floor with her. LaShann displayed a better outside shot as well as that superb ability to drive and score. We are pretty deep in the post right now. Jatarie, Audrey, Khalé, Jordan, Mina and Rellah are a pretty solid core. I don't think we will block a lot of shots but should alter shots.

I don’t remember many missed FTs. A plus for the coming season, especially if the team can get to the FT line more often than last season when it seemed they had trouble getting there.

• Like Like x 9
  10. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Thanks @BabHorn !!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice recap, Bab. We were wondering the final score. Did you keep it throughout the game or did you learn of it afterwards?

Since appearances are sometimes deceiving, I made a timid comment to someone who should know. I said something to the effect "to these eyes, the team seems much further along than at this time last year. S/he said, "Light-years better than last year on defense. And this team can score." There was more elaboration, but the staff is more excited about this year than us fans, if that is possible.

• Like Like x 5
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Zig, I was sitting right behind the scoreboard so I just stepped up to take a look at it after the game.

13. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Zig--That's very encouraging information. I'm certainly not an expert but I believe the new strength and conditioning coach has the team in excellent shape. They played a hard and physical scrimmage yesterday. The male practice players were intense and played the scrimmage to win. The freshman are certainly talented. After they learn the offense/defense, they may get more playing time than I initially expected.

After Joyner returns and gets into game shape, this is going to be a formidable team as we get into the conference schedule and tourney time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Kudos also go to the new nutritionist Texas hired. The players are enthusiastic about eating better. I happened to be at the desert table when the players descended on it. They were making responsible choices.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Daily Texan article on the scrimmage.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

The frosh are going to be awesome! :hookem3:

• Like Like x 1
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Highlights from the scrimmage including some interviews (and fan shots).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Did anyone ever find out what happened with our previous Strength coach?