2017 Recruiting?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HornSwoggler, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

DT Larrell Murchison, Ole Miss commit

Sophomore Season at Louisburg College, NC

• Like Like x 1
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas tight end commit Cade Brewer still has a few months before he's able to get to Austin, which means he's finding ways himself to get in extra work.

Brewer, a Lake Travis product, worked out with former Longhorn receiver Jaxon Shipley this week as Shipley starts up his new "Shipley Performance" training facility. The duo took to Twitter to show their excitement.

[247]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Totally this. Although I enjoy seeing individuals make great plays, I would much rather see a team win (again and again and again). I think recruits would, too.

4. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas hosted 2017 Colorado OT commit, Grant Polley (Denton, TX) this past weekend. I caught up with Grant’s mother who offered some interesting thoughts about the trip.

“It was a great trip. They’re (Texas staff) going to turn things around. I have no doubt they will be successful in quick order.” One of the complaints of other visitors in the past was that the Texas visits were often not particularly organized. According to Grant’s mother that couldn’t be further from the truth under the current staff, “It was so organized. We were taken good care of. Even the GAs would open the door and clap as the players walked through the door, I guess to simulate walking through the tunnel. He (coach Herman) has the right staff there and they are working hard to get to know the players. They will be successful”.

Polley’s mom added that the visit went so smoothly that, “I couldn’t tell they were a new staff”. Grant’s mother also liked the fact that the Texas’ staff went out of their way to show the diversity of the staff. This is certainly an area where Texas has an advantage over Colorado. “It was a great 48 hours. It was a little bit of everything to having dinner at the touchdown club to meeting with the nutritionist and the academic advisers”.

Going forward, the Polley’s said that while Oregon’s new offensive line coach, Mario Cristobal is recruiting Grant, they will likely shut things down and narrow their focus solely on making a decision between Texas and Colorado. “Texas and Colorado are doing in-home visits this week. We are going to take this week to think things through and weigh the options and then Grant will make a final decision.”

[TFB]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

The more I read about Tom Herman's attention to details, the more I like. Wow. Can't wait for the new era to hit the field!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per another poster:

OT Grant Polley talked with a member of the staff here (Harrison) last night and confirmed that he is shutting it down and sticking with Colorado. Also clarified that he will not be hosting an in-home visit with the Texas staff.
    Well, I guess he isn't sec ready. Sorry, I had an aggy moment after lunching next to a group of them.

7. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

^^^ Maybe this explains the offer to Westlake OL Zabie. I was surprised it went out with Polley still in play.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

sounds like another commit

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nahlin --

"....In Orlando’s scheme he’ll be tasked to play big versus interior linemen while sometimes being asked to be a stand-up rusher. When not holding the point of attack, he’ll be asked to knife through and make plays. He demonstrates this ability throughout his tape, albeit against much lesser competition.

You can’t teach size, and at 6-foot-5 + and 250 pounds he has plenty of it. He also shows good lateral agility and initial quickness.

He won’t be a high sack number guy, but he will be versatile and reliable in all phases if he puts in the work.”

11. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Welcome Max!

Needed to build DE depth and Max fits the bill. No 14 recruit in the class.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Max! :hookem2:

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Rivals has him listed as a 2 star? :idk:

16. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Big XII 2 ** is like a 4 **** SEC, Bro :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

3 spots for a 2 star? Not talking badly about Cummins, I guess the gaps between teams are tiny.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2018 QB

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TFB addressed some of that today

"In light of the commitment from Max Cummins last night, I wanted to address something that has been on my mind since Tom Herman and his staff first began recruiting for Texas.

This staff’s ability to evaluate has been impressive to me. I know a lot of Texas fans are accustomed to getting the “stars” but for someone who has been covering Oklahoma recruiting for a while, I can tell you that good evaluations of talent, fit and character are far better than following the stars or the offers. Often those things coincide but many times they do not.

Let’s take a look a quick look at Max Cummins. He stands at close to 6’6 and according to Max’s father, he currently weighs nearly 250 lbs. Last year around this time he was underweight at somewhere around 210 – 220 lbs. He was also playing at a small private school in Austin where he was receiving little to no assistance with his recruiting. Max was also playing every snap of the game at multiple positions. Kind of hard to learn a position or stand out at a position when you’re playing that many spots and are exhausted from playing so many snaps. It’s one of the classic reasons small school kids get overlooked. Fast forward to today and Cummins is bigger and stronger with a frame that may end up holding nearly 300 lbs before it’s all said and done. In fact, prior to his commitment to Texas he was being recruited by schools as a DE, TE and defensive tackle (4i/3 technique). His move to Ft Worth opened up exposure that he didn’t previously have and coaching that he didn’t previously have. It’s no wonder he recently picked up a Baylor offer and was set to host Oklahoma and TCU later this week. But Herman’s staff had been recruiting Cummins at Houston and continued to recruit him at Texas...."

more at the link
    http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/01/tfb-short-stars-and-evaluations/

• Like Like x 4
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And another 2018

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

do we have a visit list for the last push?

23. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I think you misunderstood. I imagine the team rankings on these recruiting sites are based on players' stars. And that a 2 star commitment would lead to a jump in team rankings of three, which to me implies that the difference between the teams in terms of rank are very small. Had nothing to do with my thoughts on the legitimacy of the number of stars a player is assigned. Though I think it's pretty obvious that more 4 and 5 star players turn out better at the collegiate level, though there will always be exceptions.

24. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Good read for myself, needing that.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Official visitors list for this weekend:

RB, Daniel Young, Spring Westfield
    WR, Damion Miller, Tyler John Tyler
    WR, Jordan Pouncey, Winter Park (Winter Park, FL)
    TE, Cade Brewer, Austin Lake Travis
    DT, Brandon Henderson, Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, GA)
    DE, K'Lavon Chaisson, Galena Park North Shore
    DE, Max Cummins, Fort Worth All Saints
    CB, Javelin Guidry, Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) via Cedar Park
    CB, Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches
    ATH, Montrell Estell, Hooks

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like Gary Johnson is in!
    #1 JUCO LB per ESPN

• Like Like x 3
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Y-E-S!!! Welcome to Gary Johnson. We have some studs of various types in the LB crew .... Jefferson, Wheeler, Freeman, Hager, Roach, Hughes, McCulloch, Townsend, Boyd and now Bimage and Johnson. Lots of current skills and potential for the future in that group.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

film here

• Like Like x 1