2017 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, May 24, 2015.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

this would be wonderful if it worked out. She's ranked 33rd best player by Hoopgurlz, and rated at 97%, very high. A shooter and scorer that we need for the future. Geno once said he always goes for scorers first; he can teach them defense later.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Would be a huge bonus to sign someone like Littleton this late in the process. Although it wasn't a direct quote, it was great to see Texas listed first among those schools; perhaps that is the order she mentioned them to the reporter.

Any chance that she's related to former Longhorn center, 6'4 Carla Littleton out of Kansas?

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This would be a HUGE get. C'mon to Texas, Littleton. There'll be LOTS of minutes for a hard-working, prolific scorer like yourself. :thumbup:

4. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

The article does say that while she's talking to us and other schools, USC is still her first option and she's waiting to see who they hire.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, nothing really matters until she gets her release from USC. Or, so I thought.

I guess there is some sort of exception or waiver that she has been given (based on dismissal of USC's coach) which allows other schools to speak with her and recruit her. I thought it was a hard and fast rule that once a player signed their LOI, other schools were not allowed to speak with signee. And, signee certainly wasn't allowed to contact other schools.

Believe the Florida signee is also handling the process the same based on the dismissal of the Gators' coach.

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Interesting. Both of the UT signees will be participating in the 3-point contest at the McDAA game:

WOMEN’S THREE-POINT
    *Rellah Boothe – IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) – Texas
    *Mikayla Boykin – Clinton High School (Clinton, N.C.) – Duke
    *Chennedy Carter – Timberview High School (Arlington, Texas) – Texas A&M
    *Rennia Davis – Ribault High School (Jacksonville, Fla.) – Tennessee
    *Dana Evans – West Side High School (Gary, Ind.) – Louisville
    *Chasity Patterson – North Shore High School (Houston) – Texas
    Natalie Sanchez – Burges High School (El Paso, Texas) – Stephen F. Austin
    *Megan Walker – Monacan High School (Chesterfield, Va.) – Connecticut

I guess we'll get to see what kind of shot Rellah has from the outside - she must have some confidence in it.

• Like Like x 5
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

From the videos I've seen, she's got a pretty sweet stroke! :coolnana:

• Like Like x 4
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If Joyner can become more consistent from 10-15 and Rellah can extend all the way to the arc, combined with their athleticism and size, can't think of too many teams that could put 2 forwards on the floor who could actually guard them.

• Like Like x 5
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

In the circumstances of a coach leaving, I wonder if the recruit can visit prospective schools or if it the recruitment is limited to only "talking" with other schools. I bet she's visited some of the schools on her list prior to committing to USC.

Since she's a West Coast resident, I tend to think she would be more apt to select a Pac 12 school. However, there must be some interest in leaving the Pac 12 or she wouldn't have Tennessee and Texas on her list. IMO, the Austin vibe would sync up well with her Southern California upbringing. We just need to get her to ATX for a visit.

• Like Like x 4
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bobcat and I said the exact same things (pretty much verbatim) this morning.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I do find it very interesting that Littleton listed us as I don't recall us ever recruiting her; maybe we did but never saw anything about it if she committed to USC early or something like that. What matters now is that there has obviously been some communication as of late. Coach A never stops recruiting, that's for sure.

If Littleton ends up not feeling comfortable with the new head coach hired by USC, the next step would be to seek a release from her LOI. I am not sure how often this happens, but there is also a chance USC places a restriction on the release such as not allowing her to sign with another PAC 12 school.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I don't know how rules between NCAA men's and women's basketball differ, but the Men's number 1 recruit for 2017 was released from his NLI to Washington (where his father was an assistant coach) after his father was then hired at Mizzou this week. He committed to Mizzou today.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Should be same rules. Washington's head coach was fired. I wonder what would have happened had head coach NOT been fired. Asst. Coach Porter has two daughters who play for Mizzou's hoops team, I believe. But would Lorenzo Romar allowed his asst. coach go to Mizzou and take his son with him by letting him out of NLI? We will never know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I hope they televise the McDonald's 3 point shooting contest. I know that they did the year Arriaran was in it. I remember watching it, and the fact that she won, but I don't remember seeing it in years since. Maybe it will at least show up on youtube or something.

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

There's precedent for a USC to Texas move (sort of). Kendal Yancy signed with USC but was released from his LOI after the coach was fired and came to Texas. The big difference being that Yancy was from Richardson so he came home, Littleton would have to leave home.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The skills competitions (dunk contest and 3-pt shooting) are showing on my U-verse schedule Monday at 9:30 PM on ESPNU. Girls MCDAA game will be on ESPNU at 4:00 on Wednesday.

Note: skills event listed as the 2017 Powerade Jam Fest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, they do every year. I recall watching Brooke compete in that a few years ago. Last year, TCU's Amber Ramirez and Baylor's Natalie Chou competed in some of those shooting competitions.

18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Great. Thanks for the heads up, DFW Horn and Mooooooo.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looking forward to watching Chasity and Rellah in the 3-point shooting contest and the All-Star game itself.

Being a McDonald's AA doesn't necessarily guarantee success in college. And, how you play in the AA game doesn't always provide the best indication of all players' talents. But, I recall being impressed with Brooke and Ariel during their participation. With Lashann and Jordan, they seemed a bit small/thin physically compared to their counterparts; just didn't seem they had that alpha attitude that many at that level possess. Watching Joyner last year definitely confirmed that she was ready physically to be a big contributor in college her first season.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agree. Brooke and Ariel seemed to already have a connection and had a couple of nice plays with each other. Jordan didn't seem to have a position and seemed a bit lost while Lashann was playing too fast and out of control.

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I have completely different memories of the McDonald's games of the past. I distinctly remember that Brooke got less playing time than anyone else or almost anyone else in the MD game. I remember thinking that you couldn't really tell anything about her game from that. Jordan didn't get a lot of time either. I certainly have no memory of Lashann being too fast, out of control, and not alpha enough. That's clearly the view some posters have of her game now. Apparently, the point being made is that you can often tell from the McDonald's game how people are going to play in college. I mostly disagree. Sometimes you can tell certain things. Some people who play well in those games go ahead to be great in college (e.g. Ionescu), but other times, people who look great in these showcases end up being a disappointment, and others who don't do anything in those end up being great. Erika Arriaran looked very good in the McDonald's game, the starting point guard, but to me never came close to the level expected of her in college. These games are interesting to be sure, but, in my opinion, have limited predictive value.

23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Brooke didn't get much time but I distinctly remember a couple of passes between Ariel and Brooke, especially on a steal and a long pass that lead to an uncontested layup. My memory of Lashann was, like many players in these types of games, her running from end to end and then taking jump shots out of rhythm. I also remember Jordan not getting much time but she was tentative when in which I don't associate with her play at Texas. She's a high energy/effort player who simply hasn't found her niche yet.

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Reminder: Chasity will be participating in the 3-pt contest tonight on ESPNU at 9:30.

This still stings a bit:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

It's actually on right now on ESPN2!!! The guys are just finishing. Ladies up next.

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

What the what?! I checked it last night to make sure. Ugh. Thanks.

27. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

20!!!!! Sweet!!!

20 is looking GOOD to me.

• Like Like x 2
  28. LeoBenz74

LeoBenz74 25+ Posts

Isn't Rellah in this also?

29. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice! Does this mean 5'5 Chasity can make them with a hand in her face? We'll see, but that hasn't hurt Brooke.

• Like Like x 1
  30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Rellah didn't make the finalist list of four. But Chasity killed it!!! Congrats to her!!

• Like Like x 1