2017 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, May 24, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Haley Troup, Gadsden City High School, Gadsden, AL., class of 2017 5-10 G is on an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. The junior guard has been a varsity starter since seventh grade.
    From a tweet by Gadsden City Ath. yesterday.

Gadsden City Ath Good Luck @haleytroup13 on your recruiting visit to The University of Texas. #titanstrong

[​IMG]

2. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the info, Babhorn. I had never heard of Haley, but found the following article. Already reached 1000 points as a sophomore last season. Her team was ranked 4th in State and she was the only sophomore named to the all-state teams.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20150124/PREPS/150129849

• Like Like x 1
  3. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

hudl highlights

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

nice finds, overseas & TXNOS. I really like her ability to finish, either at the rim or with a short jumper. I know it's highlites but her 3pt shooting is outstanding. We need that. Not to mention that she seems to be a pretty good passer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Had not heard her name before. She must have a serious interest in Texas to come out with family for an unofficial visit from Alabama to Texas. If that's her Dad in the photo and he is a 'Bama football fan, they left the state when 'Bama was hosting LSU on Saturday. If he's an Auburn fan, maybe they followed the visit in Austin with a trip to College Station to watch their game against A&M on Saturday night.

Her shooting is great; seems to move well without the ball, and certainly knows how to use the glass from different angles. Wonder how serious our interest is in her at this time . . .

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think she is one to the top 3pt shooters in the class of 2017. Without Natalie and Sabrina in the fold, I would think Texas' interest would be very high. I wonder if she is taller than the listed 5-10. She seemed taller than that and pic with Coach T seems to bear that out. She looks closer to six feet.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wow! We have made the list of 7 finalists for 2017 #1 player Megan Walker of Virginia:

• Like Like x 7
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about that! Hadn't even realized we were recruiting her. :hookem2:

9. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

This is what happens when you make it back to the executive suite in the recruiting world. Think back to the days of being able to recruit any kid in the country. Beating out the Uconn and Tennessee's of the world.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if Alecia or Joyner have something to do with Megan having Texas as one of her finalists. Honestly, getting Ionescu to visit officially (her only non-West coast visit) was a coup in itself for this staff.

If we really are a serious player for 2017 Rellah Boothe of Florida, that is tremendous work by our staff.

11. lewishawks

lewishawks 25+ Posts

Richards and Walker on the wings with Boothe would be out right scary. Tie in Joyner and Sutton then you really have a scary 5 that no one can match up against.

12. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

It's nice to see that she's interested in Texas. But I think she'll probably end up going to one of the other schools on that list that has had a lot recent success. If the team gets to the final four we would obviously have a realistic chance with her.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Gotta keep an eye on PF Lauryn Miller from Missouri:

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, on to the 2017 class. As of now, appears we will have to replace Sara Hattis, Brianna Taylor, and Kelsey Lang. The state of Texas 2017 class is loaded with elite point guards, but I still don't think we'll sign one unless they really want to come to Texas or can also play SG.

The most obvious choice to fill one spot is one-time verbal commitment, 6'2 Didi Richards. Her being such good friends with Joyner Holmes and Jada Underwood certainly can't hurt our chances to re-gain her commitment.

Other names to continue to follow:

6'3 PF Jade Williams
    6'2 PF Rellah Boothe (Florida)
    6'2 PF Lauryn Miller (Missouri)
    6'1 G/F Vivian Gray
    6'0 G/F Megan Walker (Virginia)
    5'11 G Lexi Gordon
    5'10 G Haley Troup (Alabama)

• Like Like x 1
  15. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Give me Lexi Gordon or Haley Troup, we need good perimeter shooters.

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

IMO, Williams and Troup are really needed. It's really hard to realize that there are only three spots available for 2017 (for now). There's so many good players in that class.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think the "needs" for 2017 depend on how the Caron-Goudreau twins will be used. The thing is, we don't get to see them play in our system this season, and before next year's Fall Signing period. Most critical to me is that someone is going to have to replace Kelsey Lang after two more seasons.

And, we are going to have to be able to compete with Baylor's inside power of Cox, Brown, and Mompremier. So, a 4/5 player is needed. Hopefully, we do get at least one of Miller, Boothe, or Williams.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

JMO but, Sedona Prince and/or Charli Collier will be crucial to our recruiting for 2018. I think the Caron-Goudreau twins will be more 3/4 players. They can both handle the ball well, and are good 3 point shooters. I think the reason they left Vanderbilt was because they were being used too much at the 5 position, which they weren't accustomed to. Again, JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, you are of the opinion that the 2017 needs to include a Center?

20. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure really. I guess that depends on if Hattis plays another year, and how well Aborowa does.

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't think Hattis has any bearing on the 2017 class. Whether or not she comes back for 2016-17, she wont be here in 2017-18.

Prior to the Caron-Goudreua twins basically coming on board this summer, I thought for sure that Texas had to sign a post player to replace Imani; that didn't happen. So, don't think we can go another recruiting class with no post signee as Lang will also be gone.

I'll be curious to see who Audrey-Ann is used this season. Perhaps both she and Khaleann will keep growing and will be better suited for Center down the road.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't see either of the twins as Cs. Stretch fours for sure. That's their skill set. We really need to get another post in 2017. With the players coming in, we could get away with playing two Fs instead of a traditional C. In which case, the twins and Joyner will spend a lot of time in the post. But I really would like to see Joyner able to play on the wing at least half the time. Talk about a matchup problem.

• Like Like x 3
  23. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

UConn basketball coaches Geno Auriemma and Kevin Ollie talk about positions.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-night-of-champions-1104-20151103-story.html

Texas is building a roster that is athletic, skilled, and versatile. I see plenty of size. If an elite or, at least, very good post player can be signed in 2017, great. If not, the team should be fine with Aborowa and the twins to complement Holmes, Hosey, et al, without anyone's wings being unduly clipped. Right now, 2017 appears to be short on elite players categorized as posts. That can change. There are always players who emerge later in the recruiting cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

and that's why a lot of the players we are signing are multi-positional. Even our true PGs need to be able to play off the ball at times.

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Now that I've seen Aborowa on the court, I can say that she does not have same type of size/bulk as Lang or Imani. So, come 2017, she and the Caron-Goudreau twins will be the tallest/biggest players on our roster; someone has to defend the paint and match up with the opponent's Center (like Brown at Baylor and Mulkey at OU). I think Lauryn Miller is more of a power player, and while only 6'2, could bring some good size and play PF/C.

26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Give Aborowa time to get into the weight room with trainers. She'll fill out in the next 2 seasons before Kelsey graduates. But yes, we still need to recruit a center.

• Like Like x 1
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not sure we will find a C in the 2017. But a long F would work.

28. lewishawks

lewishawks 25+ Posts

Had a chance to meet Coach Aston today. She was at the game watching Didi this afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

How'd Didi do?

Did you get a chance to explain to Coach Aston what the team needs to do improve? ;)

30. lewishawks

lewishawks 25+ Posts

Didi did great here are her stats. Kind of Got nervous talking to her....lol

• Like Like x 2