2017 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, May 24, 2015.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

Lexi Gordon is announcing tomorrow between Texas, Baylor, TCU and UConn. Hope she chooses Texas, but I have a feeling it's TCU. Both of her parent's played there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

She seemed very smitten with UConn after her recent visit. It will be good to know anyway. If Texas, cheers all around. If elsewhere, staff moves on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Don't know who it will be, but I don't think it will be Texas. I recall her visiting UConn the weekend we hosted Baylor; IMO, just doesn't seem like she'd bypass attending that big rivalry game in person if Baylor or Texas were her ultimate destination.

Of her finalists, UConn was the last school to offer her, but they can probably do that with no consequences. No coincidence that she visited them the same weekend as good friend Christyn Williams of Arkansas.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lexi committed to UConn. I was reading the signs right (for a change).

• Like Like x 1
  6. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

I'm sure TCU is really disappointed on this one...just glad she didn't pick Baylor. As for Texas, I'll take Didi Richard's over Lexi any day of the week! Let's hope she recommits.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, Lexi's stock was rising, and our staff did offer her a scholarship. But, I'm sure they have another option in mind. Lots of talented guards/wings in the 2017 class in-state.

8. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Mooooo

You are so knowledgeable about recruiting. Is is possible you can post a list of who we are recruiting for the 2017 and 2018 classes? Also, I recall that a big number of recruits were in town for the Texas-Tennessee game and a few of them seemed like they bonded (Twitter photos). What were the names of those recruits?

Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Didi Richards is a better overall player than Lexi Gordon imo. But I would've taken Lexi over Didi because this team needs players that can shoot the ball consistently from the perimeter. Getting players that can shoot the ball consistently from the perimeter is what this coaching staff needs to be focused on because that's obviously still a major issue with this team.

• Like Like x 2
  10. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

one of the better shooters in the class of 2017:
    Haley Troup
    http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20150124/PREPS/150129849

• Like Like x 1
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  14. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Babhorn, it's a HUGE upset, Tompkins HS defeating defending state champions Cypress Woods HS. Cy Woods not only has 6'9" Nancy Mulkey, Oklahoma signee, but also 5'11" guard Jasmine Williams, Texas A&M signee, and 6'3" Catherine Reese, only a sophomore who will be a D-1, power-5 recruit.

Tompkins HS is a new high school in the greater Houston area, only in it's 2nd year of varsity basketball. They're coach, Tamara Ray, is a fantastic coach.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I definitely have no inside information, unfortunately. So, my information is gathered based on what I read, and like all of us, I try to connect the dots, make assumptions, and try to draw conclusions, although not always successfully.

Hard to believe we have zero verbal commitments for the class of 2017. Perhaps we just got spoiled by Coach A securing so many early commitments in her time at Texas.

As for Lexi Gordon, seems like she's been playing the 4 and trying to transition to the 3. Based on the stats in newspapers, I don't think she was elite in 3 point shooting, or shooting percentage in general. Without having seen much video on her, hard to know just how good a shooter she really is. But, UConn wanted her, so she definitely must have skills.

Wondering if other juniors we are recruiting will make decisions once their playoff runs are over in the next couple of weeks . . .

• Like Like x 1
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Thanks Moooo

How many spots do we have open for 2017? I'm guessing 3-4 but I'm not certain.

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

There are 3 juniors on this year's roster: Brianna, Kelsey and Sara. I would be surprised if there isn't some attrition likely due to a player wanting more minutes/being passed up by younger players.

18. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

You are kind of right about this because my son knows the girl who's friends with Richards and that's what they are saying she said. One other thing I've over heard with that situation is she doesn't care for the way the players are subbed so much. None of this could be true but I always ask questions about her because we are in the same district.

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Not quite sure I follow. I was referring to current players who may transfer due to lack of playing time, Diani and Tasia come to mind, especially with the incoming talent at their positions, Alecia and Joyner, as well as probable improvement by players on the roster, Lashann and Jordan specifically. I think superior players with the right level of conditioning and smart play will get the opportunity to play as many minutes as they can. Are you referring to someone else currently on the roster?

20. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

I'm sorry I misread your comment. I was saying that it was being told to me that she is looking at who was on the roster that played her position........but it was told to me that she doesn't like the fact that the players get subbed in and out so frequently.

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Got it. I think of Richards as a Wing/SF though I think she describes herself as a SG. At SF/Wing, when she would arrive the following players could still be on campus: Hosey (Junior - SF/PF), Underwood (Soph SF/Wing). At SG, Atkins (Sr SG/SF), Brooke (Sr SG/PG), Higgs (Jr SG/PG). I would think that would provide a solid opportunity at playing time, especially at SG in her second year. As I said above, superior players capable of playing a lot of minutes will get the court time (see Brooke and Celina this season, Nneka before her injury last season, I assume Joyner next season). I would like to think any highly-ranked incoming player would have the attitude they could be the alpha at their position if they put in the work in the weight room and practices. Am I being naive?

22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

The coaching staff is in a position with the amount of talent that will be on the roster to be very selective on the players that they want to recruit. Instead of recruiting a great player they can look at specific needs for the team. Didi's a great player but she's similar to the players that will be on the roster. I would rather have a player like Haley Troup, she's not as good of a player as Didi but she brings a specific need. This programs major weakness is the lack of consistent 3 point shooting and Haley would bring that to the table.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Going into this season, and with no 2017 verbal commitments, I also thought our coaching staff could be more selective in offering/targeting 2017 players. But, I've changed my tune because our two 2015 McDonald's All-American's have not produced even close to what our two 2014 McDonald's All-American's produced their freshman seasons; they are not even averaging a combined 5 points a game I don't think. Since the 2017 class can sign in November, there will be no way of knowing if Higgs and Hosey will produce more as sophomores. So, IMO, the coaches almost have to recruit for 2017 based on what they've seen on the court so far form the 2016 signees.

We will be losing Kelsey Lang and Brianna Taylor for sure; not sure if Hattis comes back for her fifth year of eligibility.

Based on twitter, we know that PG Chennedy Carter claims on offer from Texas recently. And, we know Richards was offered long ago as she was a one-time verbal commitment. We can assume that out-of-staters Rellah Boothe and Megan Walker have been offered based on their lofty rankings and definite interest in Texas.

And, we are on PG Chasity Patterson's final list of schools, so we can assume she has also been offered.

Other than that, not sure who else has been offered. But, we do need guards who can penetrate, shooters and size in the 2017 class. The Caron-Goudreau twins will sill be around in 2017-18, but the coaches won't for sure know how they will contribute until after next November's signing period for 2017 verbals

24. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Unless the coaching staff can get a game changer like Walker or Boothe. Or a specific need like a pure shooter I don't think we have to recruit any player for 2017. Lashann will be a very good player next year when she gets playing time. Jordan might turn into just a nice role player but that power foward position is going to be loaded next year with Joyner and the twins.

25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Tompkins beat Cy Ranch 37-24.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

28. LutherIsMyDog

I believe Patterson visited Texas when we played Stanford. Have Carter or Gray visited? I assume Gray has visited but wanted to confirm.

Maybe recruiting info will begin to trickle out as the season ends and players start attending camps. I hope Texas is still under consideration by Gray, Richards, Patterson and Rellah Booth (from FL).

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts