2018 Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Clean, Nov 29, 2017.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'm interested to see how slinging works in the SEC.

2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

You'd be right if he was being sarcastic. But he wasn't so you're not.

3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

My perfect Christmas gift - Leach to Tennessee and Aggy jilted at the alter by Jimbo.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yep, he was. His contract was huge for the era. He was probably the most successful aggy coach of my lifetime. He had a winning record against the Longhorns, winning 5 straight. He won 3 straight SWC titles too, but he was cheating like a mofo and that got the ags in trouble with the NCAA (back when the NCAA still had a pair).

I'd say that luring Franchione away from Bama was the ags biggest splash hire until now. Who leaves Bama for Collieville?

The ags have got a bunch of old, rich alumni who want to see a&m win a natty before they pass on. Getting Jimbo away from FSU, as they apparently have, will give the ags some street cred and some recruiting momentum. We'll see.

I

5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Since Tennessee got turned down by all the pretty girls for the prom, they're going with the girl with the worse reputation, the Pirate.

I gotta say I hate Leach's style of football, 60-70 passes per game. I hate watching those games. I hated playing him at Tech. But, UT is the best football school he's ever been at. He could do some damage there if he can come up with even a semblance of a defense, which has always been his weak point.

6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

They could close Leach with a 4 million dollar deal with a Pirate Ship to live in beside Neyland where the Vol Navy docks. Arrrrrgh!

7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

His defense is top 20 this year at Wash St.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Looks like Tenn fired their AD John Currie who has been on the job 8 months

The Schiano curse I guess?

I still hope Leach goes there. I prefer to have his team in a more reasonable time zone

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I agree. I remember the Sherrill hire and it was a big deal. He had coached Dan Marino but was also famously included in Joe Paterno's quip about not wanting to retire, because it would leave college football in the hands of "the Jackie Sherrills and the Barry Switzers." Of course, we know that Aggy and OU (sucks) ignore things like that. They just want to win by any means necessary then gloat about it because of their apparent massive inferiority complex. Of course, they would now say, "Consider the source" but I think Joe was spot-on with that quote.

I have to say I was very surprised that Fran failed so miserably. I thought he did a great job bringing TCU up from the swamp and figured he was ready for bigger and better things. Guess that Aggy culture is stronger than competence! DOH!

10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

If you say so.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Bummer

12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don't want Leach going to Tenn. I like pulling for him but do not like the Vols. Oh the tough choices in life. :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Meanwhile, Kiffin keeps trolling them
    This Tenn coaching thing might get the 30 for 30 treatment

14. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

How much more drama can this situation generate? I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a Vols fan right now.

15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

My aggy coworker came over to tell me that they have hired Jimbo.

It's on front page of Texags, so I guess it's true.

16. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, and the WSU AD announced two weeks ago that they have a deal in place to make the DC the new HC if Leach leaves.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As part of Fulmer's coup, the Haslam family, their largest donor to the athletic dept, has walked. Politically, the governor is Bill Haslam.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

It was, but it wasn't hard. IIRC, Bama was on probation with limited 'ships to offer when Franchione was there, and Bama wasn't that great of a program, although Fran was turning them around. The Ags got to him at a good point in time. At least that's what I remember, and it may not be correct.

• Like Like x 1
  20. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Frost To Nebraska Done

21. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Nebraska's coaching 'search' certainly lacked suspense :p
    Good... I'm glad they got their guy.

Days of Our Lives and All My Children got nothing on the Tennessee search :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

23. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Frost is the only coach for Nebraska that made sense. Pretty happy that the feeling was mutual for Scott Frost.

Absent Frost we'd have been looking at Leach. At least that was the rumor given his connection to our new AD. He wouldn't have fit in culturally in NE.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Seattle Husker

Frost will rank #10 in coaches salaries at $5m/year. Riley made $2.9m.

25. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

He really is

Count me as one that sees the CFB landscape as bare without Nebraska in the mix. Texas too :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

While the Knights were celebrating their championship, Scott was celebrating his new job. Seems like he could have waited a day. But, I hope he leads The Corn back to prominence.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Seattle Husker

Details are sketchy but at least on article from a Husker beat writer said Frost and staff will coach CFU in their bowl game.

Frost and multiple assistants from CFU landed in Lincoln just after midnight. Early signing is December 20th. They made 5 fresh offers tonight, including to a dual-threat QB that is currently committed to Tennessee. We know at least CFU's QB coach will joon the Husker staff because he made the offer.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Phillip Fulmer has made contact with Les Miles about the Tennessee job

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

UCF supposed to be in discussions with Sumlin.
    Top target to succeed Frost.
    No agreement has been reached yet.

The buildup would be cool
    Sort of WWEish
    Cagematch for the ages -- Sumlin battles Strong!
    Finally!
    For all the marbles!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts